What happened to the .22 Hornet?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by texaswoodworker, Nov 6, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Why has the .22 Hornet lost popularity to the point that it's becoming obsolete? I've used the round before, and it's an absolute joy to shoot since it is very accurate, and has very little recoil. I'd love to find a good bolt action chambered in it, but they seem to go for a lot more than I could afford any time soon (unless I saved ALL my spare money just for it for quite a while).

[​IMG]

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

1) costs to much to buy ammo
    2) ammo costs to much to make
    3) the guns themselves cost to much to build
    4) the 223 is basically the same, just a little more superior

3. texaswoodworker

1) :confused: http://www.luckygunner.com/22-hornet-45-gr-sp-sellier-bellot-20-rounds

2) I agree with that.

3) What makes the gun more expensive to build?

4) .223 is definitely superior, but it's supposed to be. IIRC, the .22 Hornet was designed to fill the gap between .22 WMR, and .223 Remington.

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The cheapesst box of 22 hornet iv ever seen in a store was $25. The reason its so expensive is cost to manufacture drives the cost to buy up. One reason it costs so much is the fact rimmed cartridges in a bolt action are alot more work do to the fact you have to make the bolt face so much bigger to take the rim. Its alot closer to the 223 than 22 mag. So if its just a tad bit less, why not just get the better one?

5. texaswoodworker

The problem around here is that you can't really find it in stores. :(

Thanks for the info on the bolt.

I like .223 (and do plan on having several), but I still want a .22 Hornet just because I really like that round. I guess it's just a personal preference. :D

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya the ammo around here is rare in a store for it as well. For a long time bass pro only carried cor lokts for like $30/20. Now academy sells same remmy's for $25/20 and hornadies BT $30/20

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Iv built 2 hornets and they are a good caliber no doubt but all id use it for my 22 mag suits my purposes better. Hornet does to much damage on small game like squirrels. Works awesome on waskaly wabbits though;)

8. cottontop

cottontop Guest

The Hornet is alive and well. It is especially well suited to a single shot because of the rim. If you don't like the cost of ammo, learn to reload.
    cottontop

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I do reload.....just prefer my WMR;) one of the rifles I built is a rolling block single shot hornet I kept.

10. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Then you are in good shape Marlinman. The OP should take note.
    cottontop

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Savage offers several choices of new Model 25's in 22 Hornet.
    I don't think it's as dead as some think.

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

my uncle has a beautiful rifle in .22 hornet. its fun to shoot. and thats about as far as my knowledge of it goes. i dont see one anytime in my near future. to manny other calibers, guns ahead in line.check back in 15 years. lol

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The new kid on the block is the 17 Hornet. CZ still has 22 Hornets available. The Ruger #3 was available in 22 Hornet at one time. I believe H&R made or still makes one. Ruger makes the 77-22 in 22 and 17 Hornet.

14. wch

wch New Member

Have any of you tried the Privi Partizan ammo?
    You can find it by googling "22 Hornet ammo for sale"; you'll see that its in 50 round boxes and soft point to boot.
    I've shot a bunch in both 22 Hornet and 22 KHornet and it's very accurate.

15. I found and purchased a Ruger 77-22 Hornet earlier this year. Very elegant light rifle. Cheaper to load than to buy .22 WRM, a round for which I've never developed a taste.

I've even found some 50 grain lead bullets for a somewhat peppier .22 long rifle simulator.

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Americans went through a "Magnumization" phase. Roy Weatherby and his ultra- high velocity cartridges lead the charge. The "ultra" mags, the short mags, the super short mags. The "little" hornet was even magnumized with the advent of the K-Hornet. Americans generally want the "newest' offerings and many see the Hornet as archaeic. The .222 Rem has suffered as well. Both the Hornet and "triple duece" are known for extreme accuracy, but less than stellar velocity (by modern standards).

There are, of course, exceptions to this trend like the resurgence of the .45-70, .44-40 and some of the other older cartridges partially fueled by the Single Action competitors.

17. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

The worst thing about the Hornet is that the brass is so thin you tend to lose some cases if you are hurky jerky on the reloading press. It is an extremely accurate round and makes for a great varmint round for shots under 250 yards. I have a 22 hornet, 22k hornet, 17 k hornet. I use them when I do devarminting or depredatoratization in an area with a higher population. The low noise and limited range of the round work great for that job. If I don't get a clean kill on a yote I don't really care it will die soon enough. I know some ranchers that have varmints close to the house and ask me to use one of my 'mouse' guns so I don't scare the wife.

You can get 14 cal wildcats on it as well. I have held off on one of them mainly because it is one guy doing the work and he is getting up in age. Once he stops making 14 cal bullets your done.

18. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

The .22 Hornet was developed in the late 1920s, long before the .22 WMR and the .223 came about. The .22 Hornet used the blackpowder .22 Winchester single shot case. The first guns were converted 1922 Springfield .22 rifles. Winchester started making the ammunition in 1930. In 1933 Winchester started selling their model 54 rifle in .22 Hornet caliber.

i'm a dedicated .22 Hornet nut. Using cases picked up from firing ranges, my .22 Hornet ammo costs <$22.00 per hundred rounds. i load 635 rounds using one can of powder.

In Europe the .22 Hornet is known as the 5.6X35R.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  19. WhelanLad

WhelanLad New Member

I got my hands on a 465 BRNO .22hornet...
    Double trigger open sight an darn accurate.
    was my grandfathers for 60years!

ammo in Aus has climbed again, almost making this rifle too expensive to shoot often.. :(

bloody shame really!!

$60 per 50rounds

20. WhelanLad

WhelanLad New Member

Also this brno does say 22x36r on the barrel :)