What happened to our language?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by lonyaeger, May 17, 2010.

1. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Wouldn't most people check for spelling or grammar - especially in the title line - BEFORE they hit the "Submit" button? WTH?

2. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

OK What did I screw up this time?

3. suprdave

suprdave New Member

I commend you on the job you do here. It does not go unnoticed!

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm right there with you lone. I hate what texting has done to our language. Couldn't see the pics but I still hate it.

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I think "Joe" is spelled "Joe" unless you're a girl.

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Well thanks, Dave, I appreciate that.

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

As long as I can understand what someone is trying to say it's not going to bother me. It's a web forum not an English class. And we all got to where we are from different places. I know more than one gunsmith anyone here would dang near cut a nut off to get work done from but they don't read or write all that well. I also know more than one educator that a high school dropout like me (later earned a GED then went to college) spent a lot of time correcting their use of vocabulary.

It's all good...And it really don't matter... to me anyway :)

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

There is a reason for the edit feature. Sometimes people get thinking faster than they can type.

And if it weren't for the misspellings that happen, we mods would have to do other things with our time, like issue time outs to annoying grammar Nazis who get reported for nitpicking. :p

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Far from the first to take this subject up, right NGIB and Skull? It gets resurrected every once in a while. Anyone else would get a pass with this subject but, since it's me, I get jumped on.

It's a commentary on where our culture has gone. Being able to put a decent sentence together is something the youngsters should see as important. It's still pertinent in the workplace. Many employers feel they get a glimpse into a person by the way they use the language. As much as anyone wants to deny that, it's still true.

It's just another example of the way the world is changing....and not always for the good.

10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

WHat dose this half to do wit annyting? Dag yo

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

......huh?

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Nutin. Just busteng yer chapes.

13. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

So no one noticed the error in my subject line? I rest my case. ;)

14. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Does anyone want to post the thread so one of us can edit it?

15. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I missed it yet fully understood the point you were making.

16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Yes....I think every post should be edited by a MOD before it's published! LOL!

17. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

My subject line was craftily edited after I posted. Must have been someone with admin privileges.....hmmmm....well played.

18. ALSGUN

ALSGUN New Member

Grammar and spelling is important to some extent, but to some of us being on the forum and communicating our ideas and thought is more important. To those that are hung up on this, try to remember that some folks are also working or doing other things. We must type in-between our other chores...
    Knew a guy that used caps most of the time, people would give him a hard time, thing was he was handicapped and it was just easier for him to type that way. Some of the grammar Nazi's and spell checkers really just need to lighten up a little.. just my opinion

19. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

You want to talk about grammar nazis. The damn French. They have a department in their government that oversees language. They keep tabs on slang and what becomes acceptable in formal usage. Their government decides what goes into their dictionaries. They might add a couple of words each year, unlike Webster's. So, a way the youngsters rebel is to make sure to use slang. They know better when they do, unlike the youngsters here who actually don't know any better.