what happend to the 357 maximum?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by shooter57, Jun 9, 2011.

1. shooter57

shooter57 New Member

This round is all but extinct but it just makes way too much sense to build large frame revolvers in this caliber. being able to fire 9mm, 38 special, 357 mag and 357 maximum all in the same revolver makes too much sense. you got cheap target ammo, a proven home defense round and a big game hunting round all in one revolver.

I sure wish ruger would bring this round back in there blackhawk and redhawk revolvers

your opinions..........

2. mes227

mes227 New Member

I have a Dan Wesson .357 SuperMax (which also chambers the .357 Maxi) - I agree, it's a great caliber and a versatile revolver. One of the drawbacks "back in the day" was relatively slower burning powder didn't allow shorter barrel revolvers to take full advantage of the higher energy load, but with more powder options each year this is an ideal round for a handloader.

I also have .375 and .445 SuperMags. Both also great ctgs, but the .375 doesn't have low-energy chambers available.

3. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I'd love to be able to throw hundreds of rounds downrange for 1/2 the cost. I dig on the concept of convertables. Cheap practice = MORE practice = better shooting = safer family.

You can't lose!!! :)

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Good question! I've read about but never seen the max in action.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

No first hand knowledge myself, but reportedly problem was this cartridge was eating it's way thru the top strap- flame cutting the steel. Dan W's, with the adjustable barrels, stood up a bit better.

6. shooter57

shooter57 New Member

that's pretty much what I've heard as well and the reason was that ruger wanted to use the same lenth cylinder instead of a longer one like the wesson.

7. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Oh well, we've lasted over 75 years with the .357 mag being sufficient enough for most all that it's called upon for. Rarely (if ever) does it fall short. . .

8. mes227

mes227 New Member

The Maxi and Dan Wesson SuperMags were developed for longer-range silhouette shooting, where .357Mags don't carry enough energy down range to flip the target. That's not "falling short", it's just not the use the .357M has been developed for.

9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Anybody know if I could shoot this outta the Medusa?

10. natman

natman Member

I strongly suspect it's far too long to chamber.

11. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Your right..... :(

12. mes227

mes227 New Member

No - besides being too long of a ctg, it's too much power for that revolver.

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

The Medusa is the STRONGEST revolver made..... I doubt it would "cut" the top strap.... But we'll never know anyhow ..... :(

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Trez- purely academic, but the cutting was not cracking- it was the jet of hot gasses at the cylinder/forcing cone junction that burned steel away (see also cutting torches) in a line across the top strap. Not an issue of strength.

15. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

To withstand the varying pressures involved in the various rounds, the revolver is made with mil spec 4330 modified vanadium steel (the same alloy used in the Gatling gun barrels of F-16 Falcon fighters) and is specially hardened.
    I still think the Medusa could do it, If the chamber was long enough.... :p
    Sounds to me like no revolver could shoot this bullet... It even cuts the top strap on revolvers built for this cartridge. I read the manufactures of these guns DONT want you shooting the .357 Max outta them anymore.
    Seems the only guns that can handle this cartridge are single shot.....

16. powg

powg New Member

357 maximum .....reborn into my picks!

this needs a re-awakining ....a handgun and carbine combo would be kick ass .....maybe a newer timberwolf in .357 maxine? and a rhino to go with it?