What gun would you reach for?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by saviorslegacy, Oct 20, 2010.

1. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

Lets say that America is thrown into a depression and fighting breaks out in the cities over foreclosed homes that no one is buying. It turns into almost a revolution to get everyones homes back by force.
    You are caught up in the middle of the chaos, what gun do you reach for in this bug out situation?

Okay, extreme scenario numero dos.
    America is thrown into a revolution against a corrupted and powerful government that is growing ever stronger. Mixed with things like heavy taxes, no jobs and foreclosed homes the people revolt. You decide to join what will be known as a poor mans army. What do you reach for?

Both scenarios have a possibility (maybe slim but you can't rule it out) of happening and thus deserve serious thought. In all seriousness, what firearm or firearms would you reach for and why?

2. FreedomFighter69

FreedomFighter69 New Member

AK-47 or Mini 14/30, and a 45 ACP sidearm !

3. SecPro

SecPro New Member

My XD9 and one of my ARs. Why because both calibers are readily available and worse of the worse I'd expect the corpses of others to contain such ammo on there "person". 5.56 is a military round so I'd also expect that rd to be floating around somewhere in mass as well. Over run a stockpile maybe??

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  4. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

5. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Get a copy of "Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse." It is written by survivalist blogger James Wesley Rawles SurvivalBlog.com , and is based on the scenario you describe. It is available on Amazon. I have a copy of the latest edition and have read it twice (so far.)

A "poor man's army" as you describe it, is called the militia. Not the weekend warrior wacko anti-government militia, but the actual, legal militia. I don't think there has been a militia call up in modern times, but it is still federal law, US Code, Title 10, Chapter 13, sec. § 311.

To answer your question, I believe I am well prepared to provide for me and my family, and perhaps a couple of neighbors if needed. I don't like going into detail about my availability of arms on forums. They are monitored by federal law enforcement.

6. lonniew09

lonniew09 New Member

All of them. I really dont even want to think about that, not that i wouldnt fight. But when you consider taking on the US military w/ a few bolt action rifles and maybe 2000 rds ammo. they have tanks, missles, grenades, etc. Oh and very well trained. i have seen what they did to the iraq and afgani army. It would be a very short and still bad bad day to fight those guys. oh ya they also have F18s and cobras

7. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

A very thought provoking question

Hi All. New member here. I word or three about me: I'm a 39 yr old cauc. male, a true son of Texas and a firm supporter of my second amendment rights.

This is something that has been on my mind more and more the past year or so. As I grow a bit older and more worldly-wise (I hope) I am increasingly dismayed at the greed that has infected what I think is still the greatest country on Earth. But it's not the country my parents grew up in and it seems to be in a downward spiral. Not many people talk about Enron these days. But being a resident of Texas I was very close to that horrible situation and I can tell you that it was a "perfect storm" of greed and it is only one manifestation of the sickness that this country suffers from at all levels. That debacle went all the way up to the White House that was occupied by George W. Bush, former Governor of Texas and close family friend of Kenneth Lay. (for those that only read gun forums and not newspapers. *wink*)
    Yes, I know that as long as the shopping mall is within a hour drive and the shelves are full of Blu-Ray players, Calvin Kline and the newest cell-phones and there is Starbucks in the coffee isle at the grocery store a revolution is a slim possibility. But I fear that in a serious economic depression, where people had to steal to eat, it could get really bad and really fast.

So. Suppose the country does dissolve into chaos. It's likely that military warlords will stake out territories for regional supremacy. Any "Joe Citizen" would be wise to get him and his family on the good side of the closest faction early, even join it in arms. Coal and petroleum fuel would likely be the basis for any sort of economy (just like now) and civil engineers learned in such technologies and skilled tradesmen (machinists, electricians etc.) would be highly prized and coveted while corporate executives, salesmen and marketing/advertising types would find themselves doing menial labor for their daily ration of resources (doesn't sound too bad).

For the person who was just trying to survive in that world and had to use a gun to do that, the AR-15 is the logical choice. Whatever sidearm you can get ammo for would be OK to keep on your person at all times. But as far as a "I need this gun to survive" weapon, the AR-15 gets the nod for three reasons.

One. It's probably the most popular auto-loading rifle in America, making parts easy to come by.

Two. It's chambered (most often) in one of the most popular calibers in America making ammo easily obtainable, probably even in the event of a government collapse. (.223 ammo would likely become a sort of currency). It can provide man-stopping power in close and has decent enough ballistics inside 300 yards to be an acceptable hunting round for deer sized and smaller game. Shotguns would rule for small game like rabbit, squirrel and game birds of course.

Three. It's a time tested and reliable design that if well cared for, can provide years of trouble free and life protecting performance.

Personally, in a scenario like this, I'd probably band together with family and friends as far away from conflict as possible in a remote area, where "rationing" did not exist and the land provided. In this sort of environment the AR-15 would serve, but bolt action rifles in .243, .22-250, .270 and .30-06 would be most desirable, along with shotguns. Land near a body of water with plentiful fish would be ideal as game would become harder to find over time, making it necessary to range further, increasing risk. Domestic animals larger than chickens might prove a liability.

I truly hope that sweeping changes are made in our government that make it possible to stem the greed that is taking us away from the vision that our founders had and fought and died to create.

Edit: One other thought. Moving out of country likely wouldn't be an option since the US economy is such a huge factor in global economics, other countries would be likely just as bad and in all probability, worse.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Hell of a first post CSwann! Welcome aboard.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

ar15 my colt series 70 and my walther ppks in 22lr

10. zero7one

zero7one New Member

My AR-15 in 5.56 and Glock 21. The AR is good for both CQB and at short long distances. The Glock would be for when the AR is out of ammo. As mentioned before 5.56/.223 and .45 ammo would be easy to find.

11. fixxer

fixxer New Member

I'd give my wife the Glock but...

First = FNAR (bull barrel version) with all 5 full mags. Because my AR15 is just a range toy when it comes to knockdown force. Plus the FNAR does not fail. It holds 20+ rounds in one clip, has enough penetration power to do the job. The extra mass is less affected by windage. Plus it just plain sings when I'm behind the trigger. I hit 6" plates @ 200yds outdoors consistently with it. It's a semi-auto that outshoots my Savage bolt 30.06 (no joke!). This is with a simple Leupold MKV 1-3X dot that can illuminate but is etched for constant reticle. I have no desire to scope up. Gas piston driven=reliable. It's like a high end AR on steroids, if the AR owner ponies up the $ for a piston system. Hell, it was originally adapted from the Browning BAR and that's hard to beat. The availability of .308 or 7.62X 51 will not be an issue.
    Second = SA 1911 Mil-spec SS loaded with as many loaded mags that I can find. This is gonna be a hard sell but I believe; in my personal arsenal, that this would be the best side arm. Good knock down power and reliable enough. I might have to think about this since I have a few wheel guns that pretty much cannot fail. I think the winner goes to the quick reloadable semi-auto here. It seems 9mm is a good option since it is soo plentiful but I have that covered as well. It would come down to what I was stocked up with ammo at the time. Good knock down power in a close distance trumps my 9mm (assuming I'm comparing normal ball ammo) but only if I have enough on hand. Enough would be 5 boxes each, I think (enough to fill each mag once). As far as interchangable parts for repair go...Hmmm. I'm not gonna stop to salvage PARTS. I'm takin' the whole freakin' gun and I'll worry about the rest later. The rest would be a pack with bug out gear.
    Alright man, I gotta stop there. I have Flight of the Valkyrie stuck in my head... Again. Two times a day is my limit.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  12. Laufer

Laufer New Member

Although the two scenarios resemble only "Third-World" situations (or a G-12 meeting, where the global anarchist groups always look for any excuse to burn cars/loot), I would first make sure that my wife has about two weeks of refrigerated insulin for her pump (Type One diabetes).

As nobody would be shooting at our house from 100 yards away (from a car between rows of houses), which type of compact gun is best should not matter.
    The SKS always has a few loaded stripper clips nearby, and I keep these hidden in the car trunk each time when driving several hours to visit anybody. For an ideal pair, the SKS and Enfield Jungle Carbine are both easy to carry, hold ten rds. (no mags to remember), but .303 is not so easy to find compared to .308, 30-06 etc.

Our house has No resemblance to an isolated Roman villa in ancient Britain etc, with bands of invading Saxon or Celtic tribesmen roaming the countryside to pillage and murder (270, 330 BC etc), while many cohorts of soldiers have left to support their general's bid for Emperor on the mainland.

13. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

Hmm. I'll make a deal with you. You put on a vest and let me shoot you with an AR-15 in .223/5.56 at 30M and if you stay on your feet I'll buy you a steak and a beer. Deal? :D

14. Theunsb

Theunsb New Member

Are you going to aim for the vest?:D

15. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Hmm Lets make another deal, you put on an identical vest and I'll shoot you with a .308/7.62x51 and I'll buy you a steak dinner and a 12pk if you don't have serious internal injuries.

16. DinkyDauDon

DinkyDauDon New Member

What I'd Grab =
    1. M1A - NM Heavy Barrel with Troy SASS Upgrade
    2. Rock River LAR 8 with Laser, 3x9 Scope and piggy backed red dot
    3. Browing BPS with extended mag and aimpoint
    4. Kimber Super Carry Custom, always on my person.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Why go in to clear a house when I can just shoot through it with either of my 308's?

17. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

DDD how much did that SASS run you? i really want a socom or socom2 like the short barreled m14.

Now on topic. id have to say personally id grab my ar and my xdm thats what im most comfortable with. but my wife would have the mossberg 500 and a side arm ( that i havent bought her yet). plus id like to have a m14 in some form and a few .22's arounds for small game. i dont think you can have just one gun to do it all. some times you need more some times you dont need so much...

18. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

DinkyDauDon, who did the grips for your Kimber?

19. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Not gonna argue...just add a Four:

The AR platform is engineered for this type of use, is easy to strip and clean, is modular in design making emergency repairs as simple and quick as swapping in a new upper or lower and can be completely disassembled and rebuilt by a skilled user in about 2 hours. Add to that the availability and interchangibility of all parts and you have the best choice in SHTF rifles. IMHO...:)