What gun to shoot? USPSA

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by aandabooks, Nov 1, 2013.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Thought I was all setup to shoot USPSA and I went to my first match last weekend. I shot my FNX9 and after watching how the match sets up and the other shooters, I realized that the FNX might not be the right gun. I shoot the gun well at 7-10 yards but at further ranges the accuracy suffers.

I want to shoot in the production division but limited would be an option with the higher capacity mags of a 9mm double stack. I might try SS if I want to get my Colt 1911 setup. I'd prefer to stick with one gun and get proficient.

The guns that I have been considering are:

SA XDM 5.25", S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm, Glock 17 or 34. All have different things going for them. I can't yet locate a S&W at my usual shops. I can get the XDM under $800, Glock 17 for $575 or a 34 for $684. Never fired a Glock and not real wild about the no lead thing. I also have a place for an EAA Witness with all steel frame. Mags might be a problem locally.

If you all were starting from scratch what option would you go with. I'm open to suggestions but I'm not ordering anything online. I'll have to be able to track down whatever I go with locally.

2. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Shoot what you have for a few more matches.

Of your listed choices for a production gun I would go with the S&W M&P Pro. Just set one
    up for my wife. I shot it in a couple of matches---like it better than my G17.

Single stack is fun. I shot it for the last three years before switching to Production (again)
    this year. Are there other Single Stack shooters in your area? Participation seems to
    vary a bit.

Right now I'm getting a CZ SP-01 Tactical tuned up to run in Production---so far it looks
    like it will be a fun gun. If I didn't have it already I would buy another M&P Pro.

3. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I shoot production with a Gen4 Glock 17. I use to shoot with a Gen4 34 though. There are a lot of shooters here in the Oklahoma area shooting G17 and G34's with Argyle Armoring Comp 1 Setups.

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

My only problem with Glock, besides never having shot one, is that you can't run lead through the factory barrells. I have heard reports that coated bullets don't lead up. Really don't want to buy a new pistol and immediately have to order an aftermarket barrel just to beable to shoot my lead reloads.

5. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

You can shoot lead through a Glock factory barrel. Just clean it with Hoppes lead solvent afterward. You should always clean your gun after a match so there's nothing different. I know a dozen or so competition shooters who shoot lead through Glock barrels without a problem.

6. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I've always read no lead in factory Glock barrels. I have no problems cleaning my guns but I sometimes shoot several hundred rounds in a range session. I don't want the barrel leading up.

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I would stay with the no lead recommendations. I am careful about using those internet "Hat Tricks". :eek:

Attached Files:

8. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I'm a huge M&P fan (obviously) so I strongly suggest the Pro series. Accurate, reliable, and you can make it fit you like a glove.

Another one to look at is the XDm comp. Match grade gun with a compensated slide, good trigger, and 19rd capacity. You won't have to have the +2 base plate like the Glock and M&P guys.

If you go single stack I suggest the Spring Field Range Officer. IMO it's the best buy on a match 1911.

9. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Have a Colt Gold Cup Trophy for SS. Took it out for the first time today and it shot like a dream.

I'm really leaning toward the 5.25" XDM9 due to availability. Can't seem to find a S&W Pro yet but at close to $200 cheaper it might be worth continuing to search. I did find an unfired trade in 4.25" M&P at a local shop for under $500. I want to hold out for the 5" model if I go S&W.

10. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

We have M&P Pro's all over around here. Where are you?

11. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Just North of Peoria, IL. I normally prefer to only deal with about 3 LGSs and not the big box stores.

12. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

It may be hard to find a Pro in Illinois. TBH, I didn't know y'all could have standard capacity handguns up there.

13. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

We have no limits on magazines or any IL compliant guns. We are one of the few states where suppressors aren't legal. Any Class III is out of the question.

14. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

At least you have some freedoms.

15. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I have a STI Edge in 9mm. It's IPSC and USPSA competition approved.

Magazine capacity is:

17+1 126mm mag

20+1 140mm mag

26+1 170mm mag

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Beautiful gun. Out of my current budget but maybe one of these days.

17. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I have come to the realization that at this point in my competitive shooting career, 1 match, a sudden change in equipment is not going to make me a better shooter. I am going to stick with what I have for the time being and work on shot placement, stage breakdown and fundamentals. I can't buy my way to master class shooter. At the point when I feel that my equipment is truly hindering my further progress then it will be time for a change.

This of course becomes a moot point if I walk into one of my LGSs and happen upon a smokin hot deal.

18. GrabberGT

GrabberGT New Member

I've participated in USPSA for three seasons now and here is my opinion. I shot a gen 4 glock 19 for a year and traded up to the walther PPQ. They are making it in a 5" now and I'll have one soon. But for now the 4" 9mm works very well. Here is why I switched...at the range, 65 yds, steel target of 10"X15", I hit with the glock 3/10 and shot the PPQ 8 or 9 out of 10. I did this test at least three times. Different days, not all at once. I,be done the same with the M&P pro core 9mm and did better, but not like the PPQ. Here's another reason, all steel match, 60 guys show up and I finished 12th. 3 years ago I didn't own a gun. It's worth a look.

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have a Springfield XD competition model that scores well and you won't be bothered by misinformed safety officers. You will be shooting SS with a 5" barrel. The 5" barrel is an an advantage when you have 25 yards shots. The XD will fit in a IDPA box. It should be legal for USPSA. I prefer a Ruger P95 but SO are inconsistent on use of the decocker. It might be better now the new rulebook is out.

20. AustinArmory

AustinArmory New Member

Bayou Bullets, done.