What gun to get next????

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hooknose, Jul 7, 2012.

1. hooknose

hooknose New Member

I wanted to solicit some responses about which gun I should get next. I will give you some background on what I'm considering and what I already have in the safe. I have read tons of posts from this community, and have tremendous respect for your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Just to start, I am a deer and hog hunter, as well as birds. I don't carry conceal, and don't really plan to. I may keep a pistol in the car....but never on my person. I am looking for something fun and functional. I have been thinking about a 9mm semi auto pistol, a cowboy type revolver in 45 colt or 357, and I would love a lever action 30-30. I have a 6 year old who already has a few that are earmarked for him.......but he doesn't have a great .22 yet. I've thought about a Henry for him.

My budget is around $400, but I also plan to sell the Remington 710 w/scope and get the budget up to $600.

In the safe:
    12 ga wingmaster 870
    Remington 710 30-06
    Ruger M77 30-06
    Ruger M77 .223
    Savage youth model 10 .223. For the boy
    Rossi .22/20 ga two barrel combo gun
    Rossi single shot break action 20 ga
    Marlin model 60 .22

Colt commander lightweight .45
    GSG 1911-22
    9 shot snub nose .22 mag

So....what do you think?

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

A Henry .22 for your son would be a terrific gun, less than $400. For your 9mm pleasure there are a lot of good ones out there. I like my Springfield XDm in 3.8", those are in the $550 range I think.

You can restock some of you current guns for a smaller shooter for reasonable money too. Less expensive than buying a youth model that will get outgrown in a bat of a parent's eye. Good luck.

I forgot to add, stop by the introductions area and say hello to the forum. Welcome to FTF!

3. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

You can get a Henry .22 by our house for $279. I want one because my Uncle has one and they're fun to shoot.

4. hooknose

hooknose New Member

I think the Henry will be my choice when it comes to the .22, but what about something with a little more punch.

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

There's a Henry .22 Mag pump, octagon barrel -- sweet!

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I think you have the rifle angle covered to be honest short of something like a Henry .22

The .30-06 can be up or down loaded to hunt just about everything in North America. For smaller game you have the .223s, which can hunt everything smallish and leave you some meat. The .22 can take small birds or squirrel if need be.

You have an 870, which is a great choice. Highly useful in multiple situations.

Your pistol category is a little light, but you have this in the rifle section, so I assume you are looking for a long gun.

The Henry is a great choice. The ammo is cheap and the little one can shoot all day and not hurt himself or your pocketbook. :cool:

The lever gun in .30-30 - while really cool - would overlap what you already have other than quick follow up shots.

You could think about an AR or an AK if you were so inclined. :p The AR would be more than the budget but you can find an AK in that price range pretty easy.

I guess you will know it when you see it.

JD

7. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

If you get a henry look at the rear sight and rifling before you buy it. I got one a few months ago and the sight is at least .100 off from the center line and the rifling is almost nonexistent. Im going to send it back I just havent had the time.

8. TLuker

TLuker New Member

You're pretty well covered on all of the guns you need. Now you're just looking for something just because you want to, which is a great position to be in. You don't have to worry about being practical. You can get something just because it looks fun and you like so let that be your guide. What till you find something that just looks fun, and like Dillinger said "you will know it when you see it.":)

9. hooknose

hooknose New Member

Thanks everybody....I knew y'all would have some good ideas. From what I've heard, and what I want, I'm headed to the gun show today and I'll be looking for a cool .22 lever action. May go for a .22 mag, it sounds fun and I can get plenty of rounds down range and still keep $$ in the budget for the next one.

10. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Get an SKS!!!

11. Theblakester

Theblakester New Member

What about a remington 700 .243 for the boy to take a deer with in a couple years

12. tuck2

tuck2 New Member

Save up some more money and get a top quality bolt action rifle and scope. Your son can be shooting it when hes an old man.