what gun should i get first?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hq357, Nov 22, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

Black friday is coming and i can buy a nice mosin nagant for 130$ 91/30 or should i wait a bit till next year and save up for the m&p 15 sport model? What should i do?

2. fordracing

fordracing Member

How much is the AR? Do you have one already?

3. orangello

orangello New Member

What is the purpose of the new rifle?

4. hq357

hq357 New Member

I curently dont own any rifles besides my ruger 10/22 and shotgun the purpose is mainly to own atleast one high power rifle mainly for fun and the shooting range or for an emergency shtf scenario id like to have atleast one rifle that i can use for longer distances and protect my family the smith and wesson ar costs 650$ id have to wait till around march the mosin is 130$ i can buy it now if i wanted what should i do?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  5. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

what is the sport running these days? i paid $679 for mine, and i haven't regretted it one bit.

the AR, like the 10/22 is certainly a gun that grow with you....you can change it up over and over.

i'd throw the mini 14 in the mix for the same price range as the sport. the mini is a great gun that could be another option. i like my mini 14 even more than my AR (preference).

imo, you have the family well protected with the shotgun for the imediate future....in the long run, i think you would be happier with the AR or with mini 14.

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If cost is a consideration, Aim has a VZ-2008 under fold. Comes loaded. Sling and 5- 30 round mags. 7.62x39 ammo is still cheaper then 5.56/.233. It will get you to 200 yards without issue. Has a milled steel receiver and bolt. $499.00

7. hq357

hq357 New Member

I've seen the vz 2008 too looks nice but I still won't be able to afford it until a couple more months I think ill hold off on the mosin Nagant and save up for the Ar I think its important to aquire The most common rounds first like 762x39 556, 308. I think id rather get an sks. Ill get the mosin as an impulse buy just for fun I don't think id ever use a long wooden club with 5 rounds as a battle rifle anyways. I also don't want to clean the cosmoline and I don't want the chance of buying one with a pitted barrel I think id rather buy a remington 770 instead atleast I know its newNext year I'm going to try and get a AR. :)

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

that long wooden club that held only five rounds helped to defeat the Germans in WWII. Russian snipers used it with great effectiveness against those same Germans in Staligrad.

read up on some of the history of the Mosin Nagant rifles.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

I do enjoy plinking with my SKS and think it would make a good SHTF rifle. However, the AR allows for much more modification and the easier use of optics. A good bolt gun in a full sized caliber like 30.06 or .308 would have more range and would handle optics well.

Decide what you want it to do and you will know which stick is for you.

10. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

A couple of years agaio I would have told you 130 for a mosin 91-30 was a rip off. But today I say jump on it whial they last. Their was a time when you could get a SKS for 85$ the mosion is hevey and crude. But indestructible and ammo is relatively cheep. a must have for anyone's collections

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I love my 91/30 but I would not recommend it as your only centerfire rifle. If you just want to plink and have a rifle for SD I would go with an AR 15. If hunting is on your mind I would look for a larger caliber.

12. hawkguy

i know you didn't ask for suggestions but......:p

a good, new bolt action or lever action :) rifle can be had under $400.

for a first centerfire rifle, you might seek a good "all around" rifle that you could use for SD, some fun plinking, hunting......think lever 30-30 or 357! :D

13. hq357

hq357 New Member

Im looking for an all around do it all type of gun SD/ shtf for my first rifle right now sks's can be found for under 400$ and its semi auto so im really liking that i dont think there is a semi auto right now for under 400$ that shoots popular ammo. i would like a lever action but i never see 30-30 at walmart and i prefer semi auto. 762x39 is almost the same as .30 and its 5$ for a box of 20 tula steel cased 762x39 at walmart so what do you guys think anout the sks as a first center fire rifle? Id like opinions :) i like the mosin its a good gun for 130$ but its more of a battle rifle wasnt ment for accuracy and if im going to get a rifle fof self defense shtf id want a semi auto i can probably find a bolt gun that more accurate then a mosin for around 250$

14. Donn

Donn Active Member

MHO? The M&P. Mosins are reasonably priced, so's the ammo. But The M&P's a lot more versatile and would compliment your 10/22. Believe it or not, both reach out a lot further than you might think. If it were me, and I wanted a bolt action rifle, a Savage or Ruger American would be a better choice, but that's me.

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I think it depends if you want practical, or milsurp.

If you are looking for a practical, accurate, cost-effective

bolt action you can install a good scope upon, get a Ruger or Savage,

like Donn said.

As to the SHTF, I wish the S would S or get off the damn pot!

I've been cringing in anxious anticipation of the SHTF for

FIFTY YEARS!

"SHTF" is just an urban legend. Forget about it.

16. hawkguy

i agree 100%! bout time somebody said it! :D

if SHTF......any functioning gun with ammo should do the trick! :cool:

and you'll look MUCH cooler in the post-apocalyptic world with a lever action rifle imo.....:cool:

17. Axxe55

personally i think most people think the gun is all they need for a SHTF situation!

sure if there ever was a SHTF situation, the gun can be important, but it's not the most important. shelter, food and water are much more important.

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Of course, then we'll have to worry about the "Mine Shaft Gap"...;)

19. hawkguy

#1 is water....3-4 days without it and you're pushing up daisies. :eek:

empty shells hold very little water, and not effectively.....;)

20. Axxe55

LMAO!!!!!!:D

i need to get some 50 bmg rounds to hold water!:p