what gun is this??

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Kyzer, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Kyzer

Kyzer New Member

So my Uncle randomly gave me this gun as a present. I was ecstatic. But I've done some google searches and can't find the gun anywhere.

So i figured this will be the best place to go!

[​IMG]

Thanks a bunch!

2. Kyzer

Kyzer New Member

any idea how this could have come to the U.S.?

not really sure what version it is...

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Either by boat or plane.

There is a rather large surplus of them all over I think you can get them for as little as $200 some places.

4. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

What markings are on it?

If it does not have any importer marks, it could
    have been sent home from Viet Nam. Or not---The SKS has been around for
    a long time, and they have been made by a lot of countries.

Have you asked your Uncle where it came from?

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Does it have a magazine? Post more pics, please.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

No mag shown. The rifle looks Russian. Was your dad in SE Asia about 40 years ago?

Nice shoes.

7. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Not seeing a magazine either:confused: The bayo suggests it being eastern bloc origin. Most likely a model 56 Romanian.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  8. marysdad

marysdad Member

This example appears to be Russian or Chinese. The other eastern European SKS rifles had grenade launchers and other stuff that isn't evident on this example. All of the Russian SKS rifles had the blade bayonet. Some Vietnam War era Chinese rifles did as well. Most of the later US-import Chinese SKS rifles had the spike bayonet. Post the markings and we can identify country of origin.

9. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Not true.. The Romanians did not have grenade launchers attached to them. The Albanian models either. All of your Yugo's do have the launcher attached to them and they are the only version of the SKS that did not have a chrome lined bore.

I would still like to see markings on the rifle too for a more positive ID. Another thing to consider is that this firearm is not all original to start with. All SKS's had the attached 10 rnd magazine. this one does not appear to have a magazine. There is no telling what else has been removed/modified.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I'm no SKS expert, but the Russian SKS is not chrome lined. I've owned several.
    I thought the Chinese were the only chrome lined, but am not sure.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

12. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

M14

In most variants (Yugoslav models being the most notable exception), the barrel is chrome-lined for increased wear and heat tolerance from sustained fire and to resist corrosion from chlorate primed corrosive ammunition, as well as to facilitate cleaning.

Russia was one of the leading exporters of chromium during that time period. Russian SKS's are chrome lined at least mine is.

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Good to know. I've owned a few Russians from the mid '50's that were not chrome lined. I guess they made both?

14. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Not sure but I can only vouch for my 1958 Russian..