What gun do you use for shooting clays?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by WeaponsExpert, Jun 8, 2013.

1. WeaponsExpert

WeaponsExpert New Member

I am wondering what gun you use for shooting clays! And include your competition gun for skeet and trap shooting?

2. msup752

msup752 New Member

I have only one shotgun, a Benelli M4. My brother has an Italian over/under he competes with at his range. His gun cost as much as mine but I often beat him with clays. I can only imagine how nice a Benelli clays gun would be!
    The M4 has too short of a barrel to compete with. Shucks!

3. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Many years ago when shooting Trap and Skeet,
    I mainly used my Remington 1100's.
    A Trap gun and a Skeet gun.
    At times I shot my mdl. 12 Trap gun.
    Or an O/U,
    or a S/S for Skeet.
    Would be great if you had a range that rents,
    You could try.the different guns.
    Good Luck
    Have Fun.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Please bear with me and be patient with me while I learn.

There are shotguns specifically made to shoot trap and skeet? I thought you all used your hunting shot guns. :confused:

And what is the difference between your hunting shotgun and a skeet and trap shotgun?

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I wrote (and it disappeared) that I see more semi-autos at sporting clays than other clay sports but there is no one answer as there is no more one sporting clays course of fire than there is one golf course...

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

yes their are some shotguns made just for trap and skeet. and yes many do use their hunting shotguns for shooting trap and skeet and sporting clays.

i'll let someone more knowledgeable about specific trap and skeet guns describe the differences. barrels, stocks and the ribs come to mind as being big differences in the two.

7. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I haven't been many times but do enjoy it. I use what I have, mossberg 500 in 12 ga, s&w 916a in 20 ga. Occasionally I break out the old winchester model 97 in 12 ga but don't shoot that one too often. Been in the family forever and want to keep it in good shape. All have modified choke

8. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

A 12 gauge double barrel, of course

9. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

Semi auto beretta drop in multi choke

10. indy36

indy36 New Member

There are most certainly specific guns for skeet and trap. I've been hanging around the skeet range the past few months and here is what I can tell you...

Most 'serious' shooters (retired old guys) shoot superposed guns. That means 'over-under' shotguns. They tend to be made by Kolar, Krieghoff, and Perazzi. Cost? About 12 grand. That's right, 12 grand. Next is Browning, specifically the Citori. Then over-unders by SKB. Then it's everything else. Most skeet guns will have 26-inch barrels and be choked with a 'skeet' choke. They will have raised vented ribs and a large focus is put on making sure the gun fits you. Most skeet guns are over/unders. The semi-auto isn't used nearly as often and pumps are almost nonexistent.

As for trap, totally different sport. Barrels are longer and the ribs are higher and the chokes are different. The trap gun is even more expensive. You'd want a stock with adjustable comb, length of pull, and cast.

Can you shoot either with a $275 used 870 Wingmaster? Sure. Will you have fun? At first. But, to be serious and good, at some point, you're going to have to buy specific guns to each sport and they are not cheap.

If nothing else, you MUST have the appropriate chokes for each game. You won't hit crap with your home defense pump that has no choke.

11. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Generally a Skeet gun is more like a Hunting gun, shorter barrel open choke
    A Trap gun will have a straighter stock and a longer barrel with a tight choke

12. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I'm not much of a trap fan. I shoot my Remington LT-20 at skeet and sporting more than anything else. I have had guns that cost 20 times as much, but none I shoot better with or enjoy shooting more. You do not need an O/U, cheap or expensive, to shoot any clay target game.

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I do not compete, but I have no problem using my Mossy 590 Mariner. It is not a skeet gun in any way, but I still like to show off. There is a running rabit machine at the range that rolls a bouncing clay across the ground. I love hitting the clays with my 590. It is not easy though, but fun as hell.

14. cottontop

cottontop Guest

skeet guns

It used to be that way, but for several years now the trend in skeet guns has been (and sporting clays) to use longer barrel guns where the balance is weight forward so that it would be more difficult for the shooter to slow or stop his/her swing. Slowing the swing and thus shooting behind is the most common reason for missing in skeet.
    ct

15. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I use several Browning Citori O/U's and an older Valmet O/U I use for skeet, trap, and clays; though I seldom shoot the shotgun sports anymore as I prefer shooting my center fire rifles at paper.
    ct

16. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

An old 1100 12ga, mod choke, 2 3/4 chamber. Does it get any better?

17. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Yep. A 1187 12 ga.

18. trapshooter11

trapshooter11 New Member

I picked up trap shooting and use my dads remington 1100 12 ga and I love it. A little bit of recoil but still a lot of fun!

19. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am learning a lot from this thread. Thanks, everybody, for the information. One more question. What are "ribs"?

20. JW357

JW357 New Member

I am too. About to show my naivety once again, but I had no idea until just now that skeet and trap are different sports.