What Gun are you working on?

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by Rifling82, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been working on a Interarms Model 92 SRC, it's having some feeding problems. So I've changed out the ejector spring and while I'm at it I ordered a new magazine spring and stainless follower

Adam 2 and Dallas53 like this.
  2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

Adam 2 and Rifling82 like this.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

When spring comes I'll likely continue work on a 9mm bolt action pistol that I started. I have the stock done, barrel & receiver done. Bolt almost done. I need to work on the trigger and sear next which will then include some final milling on the bolt. Considering making it a thumb trigger.

Rifling82 likes this.
  4. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

Finally found that buffer I had squirreled away for the Marlin 60, the same day I went to town to get roll pins for my new gas block. $60.00 for a gas block, they couldn't
    throw in a seven cent roll pin? Thanks a pantload, Midway. Anyhoo, got my 60 and
    my 'Yote AR both finished the same day.

Now I'm breaking in the new SGW sight pusher. So far it's working like a charm.
    Tritium Sights for all the carry guns.
    No more holster snagger Fiber Optics.

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  5. Dallas53

I still got plenty of projects lined up as time and money both become available. There is the Winchester Model 94 I bought several years ago, that will get "restofied" with a longer octagon barrel, and some nicer walnut stocks.

My Ruger MK III that will end up getting a full customization, and made into a target pistol. I have already begun that one to some degree.

My Remington Model 700 "Switch-Barrel" rifle project. That will have barrels in 260 Remington, 6.5 Swedish, and 6.5-06 in a custom target laminated stock.

A Remington Model 700 in 270 Winchester, that I may end re-barreling to a 7x57 Mauser.

6. Dallas53

I almost forgot the 1911 in 38 Super that I want to build later on too. Pretty much have decided that I will just buy either a Rock Island Armory, or MetroArms 1911 in 38 Super, that is pretty basic, then just upgrade it one part at time, so as not to have project that is not being able to be used.

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Waiting for warm weather, as it will likely involve some solvents that I want good ventilation for- but youngest son gifted me an Arisaka. It is pretty much in a "dug out of the bunker" condition, complete with a sling that could be used as a club- but complete.

Caveman Jim, Trez, Les Moore and 2 others like this.
  8. Blaiwayw

Blaiwayw New Member

Having run the course on refinishing various CZ series pistols, I’m now working on Jericho 941’s in F and FS. One is parkerized, and the other in cerakote. Parts replaced as needed. Israel surplus vintage mid 80’s to 90’s. Brought back to service. While these pistols are still being manufactured, the vintage have some desirable features that are no longer available. Like frame mounted safeties on the 941.

Dallas53 and Rifling82 like this.
  9. Dallas53

Those sound like some interesting projects indeed. looking forward to seeing some pictures of them. If possible, maybe some before and after photos.

Rifling82 likes this.
  10. Blaiwayw

Blaiwayw New Member

EC04F08F-A4BF-4DD0-95DA-CC931DDE2F5D.jpeg DC875AFD-9536-4B35-A20C-F5D7C2905FB7.jpeg DC1CB1A4-3C6C-43D4-B6E6-03F35E58AD0B.jpeg 4DA9EBD8-01F8-4333-9F68-A2E2DABE2BBF.jpeg

Finished work on two Jericho 941 pistols.

Caveman Jim, Dallas53 and Rifling82 like this.
  11. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

I need to acquire one to work on...

Rifling82 and Dallas53 like this.
  12. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

A couple of trigger jobs on two Ruger Mark pistols and then this shotgun showed up:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Front bead missing and buttplate. Owner wants a thin recoil pad added and a "green" front glow sight. Firing pin was stuck forward, so I freed that up and then I test fired it, and 3-inch shells work fine and eject perfectly.
    Buttplate screw holes were wollowed out quite badly, so hardwood dowels were epoxied into place and now setting up.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  13. SGWGunsmith

Took me almost two years to find this Mark III Hunter. They didn't make very many in this barrel length. Got rid of the magazine disco and LCI. Installed a replacement hammer bushing I helped design and a steel Clark Custom trigger and reworked the sear for 2 ½ pound pull weight. I made the base for the Fast Fire 3 optic from scratch. It's now one of my favorite walk-about guns as I comb the back 80 for illegal aliens sneaking over into Minnesota. We're gonna build a wall along side the Mississippi River:

[​IMG]

14. Blaiwayw

Blaiwayw New Member

Nice work on the Fast Fire mount. I have the same Hunter, but in blue. Was a special version, and came with rosewood finger groove grips. What is attached to your rear sight?

Rifling82 likes this.
  15. SGWGunsmith

That's an "Omega" round blade in that rear sight. Been removed as it didn't provide what I was looking for.

Rifling82 and Dallas53 like this.
  16. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Well I was going to work on setting up the Leupold Freedome VX EFR on the 10/22 target rig. Yanked the heavier polished Burris Signature Zee rings off, since it looked funky w matte scope. Plus I wanted the heavier rings on my Contender pistol in .35 rem.

So got some aluminum Leupold Rifleman rings for the target 10/22. Scope is on, but think front ring will be moved back one slot (Weaver multi slot base- which is higher than the old one w 3 slots.......Burris rings would rub receiver, if they even slid on.... with the old style).

Contender...........purchased used. Prev owner didn't have windage screws on rear ring tight (standard ring setup). I sold the Burris 3-9XAO off that .223 bbl, and the barrel itself (w rings and base). Have 75 bucks in my easy open Gen 1 frame, w Pachmayr Gripper grips.

Lets talk about that grip..........lots of flash in the main grip channel. Grip seemed just a bit loose w screw cranked to stop.
    Removing the flash got the grip to seat firmly, but the screw.........bottoms out. This the type that has sling stud. So for now I just used a shorter reg bolt.........and the grip is anchored fine.

Need to knock off two threads on the swivel bolt (shorten to not bottom) and then shorten spacer to clock the stud.

Whoever had this gun before didn't know WTH he was doing.

The used .35 rem bbl I got last week............came w cheap plastic TC forend and screws, but missing the washers for said screws. They be smaller OD than what you find at even a good hardware store.

Eh, I could use O rings to snug it for bench test. I'd rather get a Herrett style Super 14 walnut forend, or a Pachmayr without logo.

Gunshow in a week I think.

Anyway..............was gonna take the 10/22 and the TC to the range. But oldest kid just showed up so guess we are gonna hang out, do late lunch.

Was informed of the visit via text, when halfway here.

Wimmins.

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  17. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

So no going to gunshop looking for parts, or trading, or going to the range.
    Second weekend shot due to family stuff.

I did put an Andy's Leather........carry strap on my FG 10/22. Nice work, $48 shipped. But the buckle is bright and shiny so I need to have that tarnish some to look right. Proly should just buy a black cerakoted one from him.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Rifling82 likes this.
  18. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

Working on a Zabala double .
    Doesn't want to cock & the stock needs dents taken out . Plan on working at it a few more hours ....then back in the stack & work on a Winchester model 20 410 . zabala eibar.JPG zabala eibar 1.JPG

19. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

I've taken my trusty ole duck gun, a 1969 Rem 870 Express out of retirement. I turned it into my Go to HD weapon. I stripped it down naked as a Jay bird, soaked the internals in a sonic cleaner, lubed it, reassembled with an 18" barrel and poly furniture.
    She still loves me but she is shy.:D

20170330_144917_001.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  20. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

Later this year I'm going to attempt a Ruger 10/22 build. I traded for a Hoage ruber bull barrel so still needing to find a few more parts.:D

Rifling82 likes this.