what gun and caliber

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mrbirdguy, Oct 17, 2011.

1. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

helli i am having fun trying to figure out i am looking for a handgun i want sompting resionably acurate i am thinking about a tarus judge or tarus raging bull want sompting posably to hunt with maby pop a stray dog,fox, coon,etc i have a sigma as a main home protection gun any caliber you might recomend or gun how acurate are the judges how is the kick on a 44 what would be a good gun to ge?t any outher gun or caliber ? i would like to be less thain 900$ on the high side

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Taurus' firearms are a hit or miss generally. I stick with Smith and Wesson and Ruger's revolvers. In my opinion you can't go wrong with a .357 magnum. It offers, just like the .44 magnum, a lot of versatility. As to what firearms to look at I suggest the Ruger Blackhawk, Ruger Vaquero, Ruger GP100, Smith and Wesson 686, Smith and Wesson 19, or the stainless version of the 19.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I am running 50% on Taurus. 2 good 2 bad. I wont buy another one.

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Out of all the info i have gathered about taurus,its been like 80% bad..20% good..ive never owned one so i dont have any first hand experience with them

5. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I've never shot a raging bull but I do have a judge with a 3" barrel. If you are looking for accuracy though the judge is good up to about 15 yards. Then you're better off to shoot the gun itself out of a slingshot. Never shot the 410's out of though. Those would give you a much larger pattern for sure. I'd say you would be better off to go with something other than a judge for sure, fun gun but that about it. Just fun.

6. jebsca

jebsca New Member

Don't have a judge, but I have got a governor. It is a fun gun to shoot, but trying to work with three different types of ammo has it lacking a bit in accuracy. I can hit the target at 20-25 yards, but it's not a good group. I may be part of the problem, but I don't think I am all of the problem. I would say that if you are looking for some accuracy, do not look at a judge.

7. GSXMatt

GSXMatt New Member

I would not trust my life or my families' lives to any of the firearms you have mentioned.

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

R U looking fo a revolver or A automatic?

9. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

ok so is a357 a good hunting caliber? or a 44 mag better? i would like a relvolver
    any legal hunting caliber? how is the recoil? hows ammo price/avalibility?
    how popular are they the caliber
    any brand make a ported barrel the raging bull has does it do anything? muzzle rise? reduce recoil? is it necesary?
    cal you put say some kind of red dot and maby a laser on it?

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Muzzle brakes will reduce recoil but there is a cost. It will be louder and have more muzzle flash. Dont shoot one in the dark as it will temporarily blind you. A good .357 mag will probably do what you want as you are looking at small animals and possibly self defense.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

357 mag or 44 mag, either one will make a decent hunting caliber if you use the right gun and ammo. if you are wanting to mainly hunt with a revolver, then look to the models with longer barrels as they will give you a little bit more accuracy and better ballistics. Hornady has brought out a new ammo line called Leverrevolution ammo that has some good ballistics. made for lever action rifles, but will work fine in revolvers too. might want to try it out.

12. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I don't know.

I think the judge would be a nice little hide away protector in the bedroom. A 410 fired down the hallway or across a room (even from a hand gun) would be quite the deterrent. I need to pick up some 410 shells and give mine a try, but I'm thinking at close range (nervous and spazzing within 20 ft.) a 410 would send anyone yelping like a peppered bird dog even if your aim was a bit off. Probably drop them.

I'll have to pick up some 410 shells and put the video camera on the tripod and test the distance.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my brother has a Taurus Judge, we tested it out when he got it, guess what? a 410, 000 buckshot will do plenty of damage to someone at close range! you need to try one out before you "Judge" it!

14. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

I own many handguns, but the one that is the most fun to shoot is my .357 Ruger Blackhawk. You can always go down to .38 for less recoil during practice but the gun is heavy enough that the .357 round does not really "kick" too much. Something fun about shooting a SA revolver.

15. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

just went and ordered a ruger 357 magnum with 6 in barrel

16. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

A Ruger GP100 or Blackhawk I'm guessing ;)?

17. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

its a stainless gp100 with 6 in barrel what do you think of that gun