What got you into guns?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Ruger22lr, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

Well what did? For me my family has a big military history so I guess you could say it was destined to happen. Whenever I was 8 I started playing shooter games like Grand Theft Auto Vice City then I got into Halo and Call of Duty. I was a really big gamer back then I still do play shooter games just not as much anymore same with other games. Then the whole zombie apocalypse thing sucked me up and in October 2011 I decided that the next time my Grandpa went to the range I wanted to go. Let me tell you the first time I shot a gun I was shaking once I touched it, but after shooting for an hour or 2 I started liking it. I then decided I wanted a gun for Christmas so in December my Grandpa took me to a gun store and I got my first 10/22 then in February I got my 20 gauge and that is all how it began.

2. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Between old westerns on TV and my good friends and their relatives , while growing up , I'd say influence of those two is what got my interests..!

I've always been competitive so it was just a natural thing..! Shoot on..!

3. vincent

vincent New Member

I moved from Marxachusetts to Dixie...(NC) 20 years ago...that's all she wrote...:D

Hell, when you come to the South, you're ISSUED a shotgun, a pickup truck and a free plate of barbecue...;)

4. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

My grandfather started teaching me how to shoot when I was four years old. I grew up around guns and have been hunting and shooting for over 50 years now. Still love it.

5. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

My very best friend growing up got a Remington Wingmaster for his 14th birthday. I needed a gun so we could go hunting together on his family farm.

I saved up my $$ and on my 15th birthday, my mother took me out and I bought a brand new Winchester 1200, for $105.00(probably considered a straw purchase today). My mom kicked in a box of #6 shotshells for my birthday. You can tell by the price it weren't yesterday!

The rest is history!!

6. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

I started liking firearms and military when I was about 7 years old. Now I'm older, and I learn more every day. It's a ever changing "art".

7. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Grew up around guns can't even remember the first time I shot my dads guns. I've been buying and collecting guns ever since I got my first job

8. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

them dang zombies!!!

9. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

Haha yes I know

10. fordracing

fordracing Member

My friend took me skeet shooting. Been hooked ever scince. Should have used hearing protection though.

11. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I've always been into history, especially WWII. My grandpa was in the 5th armored division during the war.

The historical standpoint is 99% of why im into guns, thats why most of mine are milsurps.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

Good question; every letter to Santa from the first i dictated until the one that got me that bolt-action .22 on Christmas #6 had a request for a "machine gun" at the top. I blame that tactical baby rattle.

I will say, the first time i fired that .22 it was to kill a squirrel that Christmas morning...and squirrels do resemble tiny bears somewhat...

13. dango

^^Eeek..! Ban "Tactical Baby Rattles" , For the childrens..!

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

No idea. My Dad hunted when I was a kid. Unsuccessfully I might add. I think he just wanted to get away from the wife and kids for a few hours on a Saturday morning during the season. He fished when it was warm enough. That's his real passion. He's trying to break into the professional angler scene, like Bill Dance and his like. He's not far from it either.

That was back when he was a loving Dad, willing to come home after work instead of getting high and drunk at the bar.

I remember watching him from the front steps, walking out to his old truck with his Marlin .30-30. And then one day he asked me to carry it for him. I was maybe 4 or as young as 3.

He was never a big gun guy, but I bugged him like crazy to let me shoot it. He wouldn't of course, but he borrowed or bought a Marlin 60 and took me out a few times. Then he got me a Daisy Quicksilver pellet/BB rifle. I was 4.

My firearms safety and operation training consisted of, "line that peg up with this notch back here. Don't shoot yourself or anyone else."

Ear plugs? What are those?

When I was 9 I had pretty much commandeered the 60. That same year I was taken on my first dove shoot, a few days before my tenth birthday, where his friend let me shoot a Remington 870 12 gauge. I went nuts over shooting a big boy gun, and later that year I received one for Christmas, a mossy 500 in 12 gauge. Somewhere in between all that, my paternal grandad let me shoot his old Colt .22 semi auto pistol. I want to say it was a woodsman, but it looked so much like a Walther P-01 that it's not even funny.

Two years later, Mom and Dad split. Moving in with my maternal grandparents, I spent a lot of time in the woods. Had a lot of emotional crap for a 12 year old to deal with. Granddad told me to start taking his old .22 with me, in case of snakes or any other trouble (meth labs were just beginning to catch on in those parts, out in the boonies). It was a 9 shot revolver, DA/SA. I think an H&R.

It just kinda progressed from there.

That old .30-30? It was fired the last season before they split up. May be the only time it was ever actually fired at a deer. A clean miss. I don't think it's ever been cleaned. Didn't work at all the last time I tried to shoot it. Wouldn't feed... managed to get it to fed... Then it wouldn't fire, never got it to either. And then it wouldn't eject. Told my Dad about it. He placed it in the closet with a promise that, "one day, I'll just have to take it to a gunsmith..."

Knowing my Dad, it may actually still have that unfired round in the chamber, in the back corner of the closet, collecting dust.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  15. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Guns...???

Can't really remember a time when there wasn't a firearm of some sort around... I'm the son of a law enforcement officer and hunter... HE was the son of a WW2 vet and hunter... who was the son of a WW1 vet, bootlegger and yes..hunter. MULTIPLE generations of shooters passing it on and having fun doing it.

Now it's my turn!! My boy started shooting when he was 5... I bought him his first rifle when he turned 8... now he'll 11 and says he wants a 22lr pistol for his next birthday. I am soooooooo proud!!

16. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

In the early 2000's I was repossessing cars and got shot at and chased over a Volvo I ended up buying for $300(for spite) and swore I'd never pick up another without a gun, and the next time I would be able to defend myself. Bought a Glock 21 and have been carrying daily sense.

My family has some military history but I've never been big into guns until I needed one.. ;)

17. dango

Well Trip , I liked your story and it brings you to the "Human Level"..!Sad , but human.! We all got here by different paths , but we all have the appreciation and belief of what our fore-fathers had bestowed upon us !

There are those that would threaten us and our God given right to ..BREATH.!
    As long as we do not impose upon others , they , in return best not "Impose"
    upon us..! The arrogance of others does have some advantages..!

They see an introvert , timidness , shyness , easy prey , apathy.......!
    PASSIVE until PROVOKE..! Please do , under estimate..!

My beliefs and the need has only increased , live and LET LIVE..! I come from sheep , but by choice , wear the Garb of the sheep dog..! Ever watching..!

18. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Wife and kids were attacked by a pitbull... nobody was hurt. I tried kicking the dog, but hitting a telephone pole with a rolled up newspaper would have been more effective. Made me realize that I needed help protecting my family, whether it be zombies, loose dogs, or aliens.

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

pretty much through my father in the late 1960's when he started target shooting and reloading. he bought a Winchester M70 in 243 and a Browning SA-22 for target shooting. then a couple of years later he added a couple of pistols for fun shooting, a couple of Walther PPK's IIRC. one was a 380 and i can't remember what caliber the other one was now, maybe a 32.

the first shotguns were from my grandfathers small collection of firearms along with a 9 shot H-R revolver.

neither my father or grandfather were into hunting, but i did go hunting with my uncles and cousins. my father only really cared about making very small groups on paper! my grandfather only kept guns as more like tools that had a specific usage. many years later, i found out why my grandfather wasn't big into guns and it came from his service in WWII. my father said he saw too much killing and just didn't have a big desire to use them recreationally anymore.

but guns in some fashion have been a part of my life, sometimes a small part and sometimes a larger part. i have kept them from the time i was a teenager until now for protection and always will. many times in the past they were a part of a sport and hunting. now mostly SD and target shooting.

BTW, my father still has the M70 and it's still just as accurate even 40 plus years later!

20. orangello

orangello New Member

[​IMG]

Nooooo my bucket/volvo! :p