What Got You Interested in Guns?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by CA357, Apr 21, 2010.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Like the title says, what got you started? New member, old member, doesn't matter, what's your story?

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

As a kid growing up in a small town in the mountains of Arizona (yes, there are mountains in AZ!), we did everything outdoors, and hunting/shooting/fishing was a big part of it. I joined the NRA as a kid through the Boy Scouts and also because my father was an outdoorsman and he made me. I've been a member ever since.

My Dad, my friends, and I always had plenty of rifles around, never handguns. That probably explains why I love pistols so much now, because I got into them much later in life.

Now that I've collected some good pistols....I find myself being drawn back into long guns more and more. I'll always love the pistols, but the whole concept of getting WAY out there that fascinates me, I think.

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I watched Roy Rogers, Hop Along Cassidy, Wild Bill Hickock, The Lone Ranger and Gene Autry on TV. I fantasized about being a cowboy and fighting the bad guys. I has a fanner fifty (actually two and wore one rig backwards) while a youngster.

My Dad got me interested in shooting by taking me shooting. I still have the family Winchester Model 90 .22 he taught me to shoot with. It was always a passion but I never had the money to properly get into the sport.

When I finally got my act together, my Dad gave me his guns. I taught my son and daughter to shoot with that same .22 I learned on. I decided it would be prudent to expand on the families weapons holdings only within the past 8 years and acquired a few more pieces.

I used to hunt and may again soon. I like to shoot targets and learn about how firearms work. This is why I am planning an AR build soon and my son wants to do an AR-10. He apparently has more money than I do!! :D

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Snakes!! I grew up in Arizona on a ranch as well, rattlers were everywhere. :eek:

Jack

5. Duddn

Duddn New Member

I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.:cool:

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

We always had guns around the house as I grew up. Got my first rifle at 10 and handgun at 12. Never was into hunting at all but I loved shooting of all types. My stint in the Air Force prevented my involvement for over 20 years as it was just difficult to maintain them as I moved around so much. Had a couple around the house but was really out of the "sport" during that time. Really got back into collecting and shooting 7 years ago and I'm having fun.

Besides, my guns are holding value a lot better than my stocks or cash are...

7. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Getting started

My parents split when I was 12 and my uncle gave me an old .410 Which was our primary source of meat for several years

8. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I first got into guns as a kid because my grandpa left me his shotgun when he passed. But then I didnt really shoot for about 10 years, then in my 20's I had a neighbor that hunted elk and wanted me to come with him. So I went to the gun store with the intentions of getting a 30.06, but instead came home with a 1911. Man that thing just looked so cool, I had to have it.

Well, hunting season was approaching so I went back to the gun store, picked up a Browning 30.06, and the owner through in a remington 597 in on the deal.

Now......I have 30 guns.....my wife will only let me get a max of one a year now. ;)

I just love collecting them, the security it provides, and the sport of hunting or being at the range.

9. General_lee

General_lee New Member

What he said:cool:

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Hunting with my dad. It wasn't a big deal, just something we did.

11. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

I started with a BB gun at age 7 and graduated to a 22 at 10, buy the time I hit 12 I had a 20 gauge and a 12 gauge at 15. I spent most of my summers shooting squirrels and anything else I could with my 22 if I wasn’t fishing. As a freshman at my high school military academy I joined the rifle and pistol club and made the rifle team and competed in NRA bull’s-eye competition. I spent the next 35 years doing anything I could with guns. I was on the 1975 Military Airlift Command Security Police rifle/pistol team and attended the 1975world shoot. Started IPSC in 1984 and shot for 4 years before being hired by Customs. I still have a love for guns.

12. ScottG

ScottG New Member

A 4am rap at my daughter's bedroom window....

13. opaww

opaww New Member

My Dad and grandfather bought me my first gun on my 4th birthday, it was a BB gun and then they gave me my first .22 lr at the same time but I could not shoot that unless one of them was with me. But the BB gun I could shoot all I wanted and everything was fair game

14. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

The birth of my daughter did it for me. I want to be able to protect her from the worst evil in the world.

15. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Dad passed away when I was two, so no real role model influence. I was at a YMCA summer camp that had a 22 range when I was 10 or 11. At 15 mom was given a couple of 22 rifles. (the pep boys 22 I still have) Then at 21 a friend and I got 9 mm handguns to shoot with our 22s. Out of the sport and much of life for about 25 years. Then Obama. Been buying and very active since.

16. ScottG

ScottG New Member

You can do that by voting for the R candidate in 2012....

17. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

When I was like 11 or so I started to go to the range with my dad... and it was the funniest experience ever... then I started to go out and hunt rabbits with some friends so I became more interested...
    Because I studied in a school 2 blocks away from the local army base, most of my classmates were sons and daughters of military... so used I shoot a lot during those days... FAL, MP5, UZI, Browning HP, Valtro shotguns, Sig P226, AR, AK, M1 carbine, FN49 and much more...
    when I could afford my first own gun (Bersa Thunder 380) I was in love with guns already...

18. User Name

User Name New Member

My dad and his guns. It always facinated me. When he took me for the first time to the shooting range I absolutly LOVED it. Been hooked since.

19. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

My dad is a cop, so my sister and I grew up shooting. He once heard her open her window to let some cool air in at around 1am, he scared the hell out of her when he kicked the door in 2 seconds later, gun drawn and hollering orders at the window.:rolleyes: Better safe than sorry, but the door wouldn't have agreed.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010