What frustrates new shooters?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jpattersonnh, Nov 4, 2013.

1. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

What is out there on the market that frustrates new shooters?
    I'm not talking a guy that uses a box of cartridges every shooting session, in the woods at 30 yards. But guys that buy into the net BS, although they could be one in the same.

2. longunner

longunner New Member

ARs during the great panic of 2013 maybe?

3. indy36

indy36 New Member

The fact that people buy small carry guns and expect to shoot bullseyes at the range, and can't, and don't get they weren't made for that.

The fact that small guns turn out to recoil a lot and are snappy which makes them not real fun to shoot for long.

So, in general, the constant drive to put a lot of power in a small package and that new people don't understand they aren't fun range toys.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

People that buy a particular make or model because a friend told then it's the best there is, then they discover they don't like the gun for whatever reason, size, recoil, ergonomics. Then they sometimes think, "well if Johnny is a Marine vet, he knows what he's talking about. He said there's nothing better, so maybe guns just aren't for me."

Then we have a possible 2A Supporter who isn't, because he now thinks that guns are something they really aren't.

5. ADM_Anthrax

ADM_Anthrax New Member

The new shooter at the range shooting 10"+ groups @ 100 with something that looks like this:

[​IMG]

While the old shooter sitting next to him is shooting 1" groups with something that looks like this (despite the hot brass bouncing off his head):

[​IMG]

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

husbands and boyfriends picking out cute little guns for their girlfriends and wives because its a "woman's" gun

the women that get these pieces of junk are frustrated and turned off of shooting.

7. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Falling for the BS they hear from the gun salesman (you can't get a decent scope under $500 or, buy expensive ammo because it shoots better, etc.)

Having a self-proclaimed expert on a firearms forum talk down to them goes a long way to making a newbie want to quit, I reckon (not that it ever happens HERE lol)

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Idiots that ignore range rules. They step over the line to pick up brass or swing their muzzles like "Weed Whackers". The Family guys that bring their wives and kids with 2 buckets of KFC and become loud JAFOs. :rolleyes:

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

OTOH, nitestalker, how about RSOs who obviously had waaaayyy

to much coffee...

10. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Tacticool "sniper" scope packages, with included rings, lazer, flashlight, and toaster oven.

11. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Exactly. Also those same guys who think it's ok / comical to put a heavy re-coil firearm into a new woman shooters hand:mad: Same for the guys who wait in ambush for their woman to have a safety violation so they can scream and holler at them, instead of coaching them.

12. austin92

austin92 New Member

I always work up female shooters with the lowest recoiling firearm to the greatest. "well this has a little more punch then the last one, thinly you can handle it?" safety rules are gone over numerous times before range time anyways :)

13. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I hate it when people take fun things too seriously and serious things jokingly! Shooting, hunting and getting out is supposed to be fun, people that get all ruffled over silliness take the fun out of it. On the other hand, there are allot of folks out there sporting some serious firepower that shouldn't be allowed to drive a Bicycle, I wouldn't want to hunt in the same patch of woods with them or occupy the range at the same time! A sport or hobby is a joy to behold, a pleasure that keeps on giving if you love it enough. I would speak of my 45 years of shooting but most of you shoot in a year what Ive shot in my sport shooting lifetime (Minus 21 years of Military lead) so I will talk about something I dont do for a living but love doing. I attached a couple before and after pics of the kitchen I built from Scratch in our 180 year old home!

I started my foray into carpentry in the mid 80's when I bought an old trailer with a hammer, circular saw and a few hand-tools. Over almost 30 years and 4 homes, Im nearly a certifiable Electrician, Plumber, Carpenter and my Carpenter Shop reflects that, their is nearly no job I wont tackle including building an entire house. Its my passion and it grew over many years, their were plenty of lessons learned whilst I learned things I was never taught. In the end, know your tools and have fun using them or dont do it cause your just going to make someone else miserable.

Attached Files:

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I can say this much about pistol ranges. Qualifying with a 1911 was more fun than going to most pistol ranges. I have gotten used to setting golf balls on a pile of dirt, then doing as I please. Shotgun clubs have safety rules but they are simple, black and white rules. There is a lot of interpretation involved with pistol range rules. You swept your finger. I will accept a reminder. If you are going to DQ me you need a camera.

15. jpattersonnh

Surprised at all the responses. What about some new guys??

16. longunner

longunner New Member

Cheap scopes.

17. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

WebleyFosbery38,
    Nice job on your kitchen work.

18. kaido

kaido New Member

Going to buy your first rifle, standing in line for an hour then being told your SOL because they don't do the paper work after 15mins to close. That was the biggest P/O of me and made me never go to that store again since they weren't even that busy.

19. jpattersonnh

Can you elaborate?

20. longunner

longunner New Member

Seeing a "bargain" scope and buying it not knowing the difference and being frustrated when it craps out lol happened to me