What firearm is the most important in history?

Discussion in 'History' started by CaseyChadwell, Jul 12, 2016.

1. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

Figured I'm bored and in pain so I'd start a thread.

What do you think is the most important firearm in history that did something significant? I don't mean the first firearm ever made or anything like that. I'm going specifics. The handgun Hitler used to off himself? The musket that fired fhe first shots of the American revolution? The carbine that was used to fill Bin Laden full of holes? The derringer used to off Lincoln?

I don't have one at the moment, but I'll think of one soon and post it. Right now I'd go with the 243 (I think it was a 243 anyway) that the guy in Texas used to kill all those people at the university there because it was one of the first mass shootings I know if like it. It seems it set a precedence for dumb asses all over the world. Maybe if he didn't have that rifle it wouldn't be such a common thing today?

2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

that was Charles Whitman at the University of Texas. unless i'm mistaken, one of the rifles he used, (the main one) was a bolt action in 6mm Rem. I think he had several rifles and a shotgun along with a revolver.

3. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

The M16/M4/AR15 platform. Its been our service rifle for 50 years or so, which isn't exactly a small achievement.

The AR is the most popular rifle sold now in the US, with the modular concept and accuracy surely being main reasons why.

4. Ross82

Ross82 Member

Colt SAA. Won the west (along with the Winchester 73) and was the firearm of choice for tons of cowboy movies

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'll go out on a limb, and say the original Mauser. Copied to the point of proven copyright

infringement, into the 1903 Springfield, it saw battle in many historical conflicts.

As to a sidearm, probably the venerable 1911A1.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

FN Model 1910 .380 pistol- used to kill Archduke Ferdinand- launching WW 1.

6.5mm Carcano- used to kill John Kennedy.

Charter Arms .38- used to kill John Lennon

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

To be fair, C3, the Archduke was just any excuse, for the start of the hostilities.

WWI would still have come, even if

ol' Ferdinand had died in his sleep, 25 years later.

8. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

The Colt Cobra Jack Ruby killed Oswald with, The world has no Idea what Oswalds true motive was or if anyone else was involved

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Glock. Because it creates so much controversy on every gun forum.

It created fanboys, haters, Glock leg, Kaboom, movie and media myths. I don't know if the Internet gun universe could exist without such an icon of gun controversy.

10. Dallas53

that is the best one yet!

11. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Not entirely sure that is true, but if it is, if it came 25 years later it would have probably not included Hitler and "the final solution", Hitler was created by WWI.

12. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

You are correct. It was a 6mm and he did have several different firearms in the tower. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Now if memory serves me correctly (which it may not) I believe most of his kills were with that 6mm and some as far as 300 or more yards.

13. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

And wasn't there actually more Scofield's in the West than the saa colt?

14. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Interesting thread. Not interesting in a firearm related sense but, more of a modern human behavior type way.
    It appears that most people are so anxious to have their opinion heard that they don't read past the first line of the original post.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

15. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I will go with whatever Confederate (friendly fire) musket/rifle that lead to the infection that killed Stonewall Jackson.

Many historians have theorized that if Jackson not have been killed the South would have at least prevailed at Gettysburg and had a much better chance of winning the war.

I have never read much about the sentry that shot him much less the rifle he used. I can only imagine his life was not worth much in the days after shooting the Southern hero.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

16. Dallas53

I think you are correct, the bolt action in 6mm was the main rifle used and as far as the distances, that i'm not sure of, but he did serve five years in the Marine Corps and was an excellent shooter, so 300 yards would not have been difficult for him.

R. Lee Ermey even referenced him in the movie "Full Metal Jacket".

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

You don't get my meaning, WWI was imminent, it WASN'T going to wait

25 years for ANYTHING. The assassination of the Archduke was merely the

excuse Austria-Hungary needed to declare war on Serbia. The justification

for declaration of war was whitewashed in the court of world opinion when

Archduke Ferdinand keeled over.

Austria was itching for any excuse at that time.

And what was on the battlefield? OH, plenty of Mausers...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  18. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

The Western movies used the SAA Colt and 92 Winchesters for economic reasons. Facts are the West was settled by Eastern and Southern farmers for the most part. The Dbl. barreled Shotgun was very prevalent as was .36 Colt Navy revolvers. Milsurp rifles such as the Trap Door Springfield and Remington RBs were used. The Sharps were very expensive and used by Buffalo Hunters. The Colt .45 SAA was more rare as such a heavy handgun was not needed. The Winchester 92 was getting West at the closing of the Frontier in 1898. I would say the Hawken style Plains rifle and the Trap Door Springfield were more prominent as rifles go. :)

19. Dallas53

I agree. WWI was inevitable. the assassination was just the catalyst and the justification they needed to declare and start the war. it was brewing, and it was going to happen eventually.

20. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The most important firearms in history were the very first Chinese firearms that proved that firearms worked at all to begin with. Once it was demonstrated that a firearm could penetrate plate armor, no matter how thick, and smash through fortifications using large, heavy projectiles, the rest was just refinement of the original concept of using gunpowder to accelerate a projectile to velocities that mechanical machinery was simply incapable of.

No matter the level of sophistication of a particular type of firearm or who was killed with what firearm, the only thing that really matters is that a low explosive, like gunpowder, can accelerate a projectile to velocities that no reasonably light armor can stop. The various refinements over the years can be debated, but we're talking about what type of firearm was most important to what part of human history.

Along those lines:

1300's - First firearms appeared in China

Civil War - First widepsread use of breech loaders and multi-shot firearms

WWI - First widespread use of machine guns (Browning, Maxim, Hotchkiss, Lewis, etc)

WWII - Truly man portable automatic firearms (MG-42, StGW) and automatic cannons for aircraft (too many to list)

Viet Nam War to Present Day - widespread general issue of automatic carbines for infantry (the German StGW fired a hot loaded pistol cartridge, whereas the AK-47 and M-16 are representative of the first true assault rifles capable of firing high velocity, small caliber ammunition effective to distances far beyond distances where a pistol caliber carbine is still very effective)

1980's - First practical caseless ammunition (HK G11 / ATK)

2010's - First practical vehicle portable and naval lasers (not firearms, but will eventually replace gatling guns for point defense in the next two decades)

2010's - First practical hypervelocity rail guns (Mach 7 - 10; typical artillery tops out at Mach 4, with most projectiles having muzzle velocities between Mach 3 and 4; not firearms per se, but this technology will replace conventional artillery, naval guns, and heavy machine guns in the next two decades or so)