What exactly will the AWB (If passed) mean for us?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Delmonte67, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Delmonte67

Delmonte67 New Member

I was talking to a few gun owner friends at work today after Obama made his speech, they were asking questions that I could'nt really answer. Maybe some of you guys can- If an assault weapons ban happens, can we still take our rifles to the range with 10 rnd mags? Will they be legal as is? (with rails, forgrips, collapsable stock ect..) Will they likely be grandfathered? Will we have to show a pre ban reciept to have it at a range, and what about older guns that have no reciept? Can say a 15, 20 or 30 rnd mag still be used only filled with 10 rnds? Or is anything that can hold more than 10 illegal to own? Or does it come down to- nobody knows the specifics and we'll find out if it happens??? A little lengthy - but curious. Any info appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  2. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I think you answered you own question........

3. davva360

davva360 New Member

After today I don't think a new AWB will pass. As for what would be in it nobody knows.

4. john300k

john300k New Member

The ban won't even make it thru the Senate and I know it won't pass in the House...

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Even if the Diane Swinestein version passed, you could keep your weapos and magazines. You just couldn't buy new ones or sell the ones you have.

6. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

Does it still have to pass If he uses his executive powers ? I would assume so. and this will make our rifles of 0 value ?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  7. john300k

john300k New Member

He can NOT pass laws via Executive orders.....

8. locutus

No matter what he thinks, HE IS NOT THE KING! He cannot rule be decree. ONLY the congress can pass federal laws.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Clinton Ban stopped the making or importing of new large Mags. By the time it went into effect there were millions for sale. People bought and sold them all the time.
    Just how in the Hell could you ban magazines? Can you Ban Horse Sh&t in a corral?:D

10. locutus

:D:D:D Anyone who has dome machine work or sheet metal work, or body and fender work can make all he wants. It's not hard to make a magazine.

If you already have "maintenance spares" magazine springs and followers, it's even easier!:p:p:p

11. Delmonte67

Delmonte67 New Member

When exactly does Congress vote on AWB and mags?

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

We have no idea. The Bill has not been introduced. Hold your fire don't panic they are not in range yet.;)

13. vincent

vincent New Member

This is the least productive Congress in the nation's history...by a long shot too. You could introduce a bill that says puppies and kittens are cute and it would still be held up for years.

I wouldn't be worried about it anytime soon...if ever...:cool:

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Just my less than expert opinion:

1) There will be changes in background checks, and the private sales market could change dramatically.

2) Any legislation involving specific weapons (AWB), ammunition, or capacity will have a hard time passing any time soon. Yes, they'll still go after it. But this seems destined to be a slower developing and potentially unsuccessful (for the "gun control" crowd) undertaking.

3) AR/AK/high capacity guns, parts, ammunition, and especially magazines are going to continue to have demand out-weighing supply for the foreseeable future. Probably at least throughout 2013. You will still see some available from makers/distributors at rational prices, but those will often be gobbled up in seconds and simply re-sold at crazier prices. Eventually this will result in a more permanent price increase direct from the makers. In many cases that's already occurring. Business logic sort of dictates that if the masses are fighting to be the first to hand you their money, you temper that appetite a bit by raising prices.

ARs and other high capacity guns aren't going to banned tomorrow. They probably won't be banned this year. But the constant political/media pressure is going to result in a nutty market throughout 2013. And my opinion is that to some degree, the market has been changed permanently.

15. davva360

davva360 New Member

Background checks on private sales may not happen without state laws

16. davva360

davva360 New Member

Sorry I was trying to add because its not interstate commerce. That's why today across state lines transfer through an FFL is required by Federal law but to another person in the same state the Federal Law does not apply.

17. kobel1up

kobel1up New Member

18. kobel1up

kobel1up New Member

Today on fox senate won't pass a gun bill that won't make it through the house, and the house won't vote on a bill that can't pass the senate. I think we are safe for a while.

19. davva360

davva360 New Member

This is one occasion when I am glad they can't agree on anything. Lol

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I beg to differ. The Feds claim jurisdiction over gun sales if the gun was originally made in one state and sold in another. Just because you are selling a S&W revolver to your next door neighbor in Kentucky does not make it intrastate commerce (in their eyes). They can and will (likely) try to force all FTF sales to go through a dealer for NICS checks and possibly 4473 paperwork.

Montana has thumbed their collective nose at the Feds and said guns made in Montana, sold in Montana , never to leave Montana are beyond the purview of the ATF. That has yet to be openly challenged.