What ear protection and or brand do you guys reccomend ?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by donray, Jan 30, 2013.

1. donray

donray New Member

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I recommend electronic hearing protection so that you can hear what's going on around you etc. I use disposable plugs because I can't afford electronic ear pro.

3. donray

donray New Member

What does electronic ear protection cost ?

4. GLI45

GLI45 New Member

I've been happy with my Howard Leight Impact Sport earmuffs, but I also use disposable foam plugs when shooting at my local indoor range. If shooting a match outdoors I just use the muffs and they are fine. Slim design makes them easy to keep with my other gear in my range bag. They run about $50.

5. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I use Peltor - Tactical Pro. I like them better than other electronics I tried. A bit of cost but after 40 yrs. I thought I deserved it. I can hear RO's and my students, but the shots are muted a lot. Peltor has good non electronic too.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

8. BClayton357

BClayton357 New Member

I use Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff. They are available from Amazon for under $50. Good amplification. I can hear much better with these earphones than without. Like a very ugly hearing aid. Highly recommend them.

://www.ehow.com/how_6606920_ship-ammunition-via-ups.html

image-798112185.jpg

9. vincent

vincent New Member

If you wanna get fancy, the electronic ones are fun...they take a little getting used to though, and can be a tad pricy...

I've had to wear hearing protection in every job I've had (tree service, steel fab, drilling and blasting...crazy rock drummer...:p) so I'm used to it but the yellow foamies are great, they've saved my hearing tremendously over the years, easy to carry, re-usable, cheap...

Use what is most comfortable to you, in the ear, over the ear, just as long as you have something on, you'll be fine...:cool:

10. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

11. undumb

undumb New Member

image-3028866062.jpg
    These ear plugs were free!

12. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

If you want it quiet enough to fire a rifle indoors, try foam earplugs and muff-type hearing protection at the same time .

Muffs are easy to remove and reinstall between shooting sessions .

Sometimes my muffs rub against a rifle stock, so I may opt for foam plugs . The foam plugs I use are purple ones from the Phamacy Dept. at Walmart, which are available in bulk in a plastic jar . I think they are made by Flents .

If you are shooting near a rifle that can badly damage your ears, use foam because you won't remove the foam plugs absentmindedly and get hammered .

Carry foam plugs in your car for any emergency, such as shopping in a store that plays loud music or dropping in at a singles dance . They also make nice gifts for fellow shooters who forget their ear protection .

Hats and eyeglasses can interfere with muff hearing protectors ; one more point for foam .

The foam plugs get dirty and thrown out and must be installed deep and properly to work. I sometimes have to pry mine out with my car key or with the tweezers on my Victorinox Swiss Army Knife .

In summary : I haven't used electronic types due to cost . I do know that foam plugs belong in your shooting bag, glove box, first aid kit, survival kit, console, wife's car and maybe on your key ring . I have had muffs that wore out due to the foam inserts deteriorating but still like muffs and have a quiet pair from Cabela's .

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I have several different brands of muffs-
    All pretty much the same--
    Bottom line is USE SOMETHING!
    I can not begin to discribe the herd of crickets steady chirping I hear in sterio 24/7 from NOT useing them :(

14. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Another HL impact Sport wearer here. Very effective and for under $50 it's well worth it.

15. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I double up when shooting rifle. I use the Howard Leight (_+ $50) and ear plugs. For pistols I just use the electronic ear muffs.

16. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

17. donray

donray New Member

Thanks for the advice. Got the Howard Leight Sport Model and I love them.

18. patyancey

patyancey New Member

paid $50's for electronic peltor tacticals in a gray color, 2 AAA`s in each cup but they have really surprised me. bought them at wal~mart.

19. WillBender

WillBender New Member

I use db blocker custom ear plugs. They are molded specifically to your ear. I'm not all that sure of how spendy they are because my employer supplies them. But I can tell you they work very well and are really comfortable. Check them out. Www.protectear.com