What don't you like about YOUR states handgun laws?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by USMC_Richey, Dec 12, 2011.

1. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

I know thousands will be both crying and cheering in California, coming up in January. Aaand I want to stir the pot up a little..

I want you guys to post what you don't like about your own states laws regarding handguns, in any aspect.

2. downsouth

downsouth New Member

In Mississppi your car is considered an extension of your home. If you are legal to own a weapon, you are legal to have it at the ready in your car. No permits required. THIS I LIKE

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

3. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

And you don't like this? :confused:

4. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

That sounds like good thing to me

5. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Sorry, I miss read op as to what i liked. Oops.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

MS laws encourage me to spend too much on firearms by being so casual. :D

I love this myself, but it does help me slackoff on getting a carry permit or the new "enhanced permit" that allows carry almost anywhere (not police station or courtroom or crackhouse or whorehouse, basically) after a 2 day class.

Eventually, i will buy another Bersa Thunder & take the class.

7. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Oh great, now they expect you to git sum lernin in ms. to cary a gun. Serious, what about the new permit.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

In wisconsin having a ccw permit you still have to wait 48hours to pick up a handgun you buy. You can carry one on your hip while buying a new one you gotta wait 48 hours in case your going to go nuts and shoot people...

Makes no sense

9. vincent

vincent New Member

NC is one of the best states when it comes to handgun laws, at least compared to most, so I shouldn't complain...but I will anyway...

I don't like being told where I can and can't carry...street fairs, parades, concerts, sporting events, anywhere admission is charged, funeral processions...(that one always cracks me up...who the h**l came up with that one???)

Government buildings...like I have any reason to go there as it is but still...

Some state parks...I guess all the stray bears stay in one place...:confused:

Restaraunts that serve alcohol...not everyone drinks ya know

That's about it I guess, I'd just like it to be MY choice, of course if I'm going to the Foo Fighters show, I'm tippin' a few back and NOT carrying as MY OWN personal policy, I don't need my business dictated to me by someone who thinks they know what's best for everybody...

Coming along nicely though, got the NC Castle Doctrine to include vehicle, workplace and public personal space as well as shifting burden of proof. I know A LOT of y'all have it so much worse, so I'm grateful for what we have here, it's just not perfect...

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If someone were to take a poll on dumbest state gun laws I think that one wud be in the top 5 at least :eek:

11. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

Generally just the "do not carry" list. I would like to be able to carry where ever I go. I kind of understand courtrooms, but most other places?? :confused::confused:

And the sad thing is, a bad guy will carry where ever they want to do harm. So I feel it's punishing the law abiding people who have taken the time to go to class and get their permits.

12. Ghostman2nv

Ghostman2nv New Member

I live in Pa and im pretty happy with our handgun laws, easy to get a ccw, no waiting period to buy handguns,can buy ammo anywhere, i cant complain at all.

13. vincent

vincent New Member

Hey Jon, is it anything like this?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIpLd0WQKCY]The Simpsons - Gun Shop - YouTube[/ame]

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

Lol ive actually seen that conversation go down here lololol at least the part where the customer points the gun at the clerk and pulls the trigger!!

15. vincent

vincent New Member

Ditto that, can't count how many times I've been swept by "customer" :D

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Some of you other Mississippi folks may disagree with me, but I think our private sale laws are too lax.

You cannot KNOWINGLY sell privately to someone who is under 18 or intoxicated.

I've sold 2 guns privately, I checked for ccw permit both times. This lets me know that a person has at least had a background check sometime fairly recently, and have been deemed good to go.

The age constraint I have no problem with, it's the possibility of unknowingly selling to a habitual criminal that worries me.

I would change it to "selling only to ccw permit holders", and I would allow 18 year olds to get a permit, after all, they're allowed to fight, die, and vote for our country.

17. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Yes trip I do disagree with you. Personally, if I buy a gun from someone, there is a bill of sale and a signiture. If I buy from someone I don't know, bill of sale, copy info from drivers license and run the sn# thru local le friend. If thats a problem, they can find someone else to do business with.

My concern is first with the history of the gun, past if buying, future if selling it. With that said I try not to buy, sell or trade anything much less guns if you don't pass the smell test. Obvious gang affliation,

18. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Cut myself off. Anyway you got spider senses, a gut feeling and common sense. Can I be fooled by clever people, sure but I've tried to be responsible and in good conscience. If I might sale to someone unscrupulous I have a paper trail.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's all true, and I trust my spidey senses more than most, but some of us don't have ready access to a LEO who will run a social for us, and as per my own preferences, I don't care for keeping records. A ccw permit is confiscated I believe, if a person ever has their carry right revoked, so a current carry card SHOULD denote someone who is legit.

20. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Laws what laws?