What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by winds-of-change, Aug 30, 2010.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

This isn't a range report but it is a range question and I wasn't quite sure where to post it.

I was looking for a pistol range to shoot at and and I came across this warning. It's from an indoor pistol range. What would constitute discourteous behaviour? And why specifically those calibers?

We remind you to be courteous to your fellow shooters when using this ammunition.

.357 magnum, .357 Sig, 10mm, and .22 magnum PISTOL ONLY

2. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

They're all loud and have more than average muzzle flash. That's probably what they're getting at.

3. winds-of-change

So what can you do to use those calibers "courteously". Don't you just have to shoot them like any other caliber? My gun will shoot a .38 special and a .357 magnum. I plan on shooting both. What should I do differently when shooting the .357 magnum load?

4. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Doesn't that list look like a classic, "which doesn't belong?"

I've never fired .22 mag, but wouldn't .45acp be louder than .22 mag?

I guess you're supposed to yell out, "SORRY...PLEASE EXCUSE THIS <<BANG>>" every time you fire.:rolleyes:

5. winds-of-change

ROFLMAO. That was an awesome response. Maybe it's like yelling "fore" in "golf. Maybe I'm supposed to shout out ".357!!"

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Except:eek::eek::eek::eek:"Fore" in golf means..."Duck, cuz the ball's about to hit you."

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

As a rifle round, .22mag is pretty "concussive" from a pistol.

8. winds-of-change

Good point!!! My bad. That was pretty funny. I sure wasn't thinking!!

Of course, it would be quite discourteous to actually shoot someone at the range, wouldn't it?? I suppose only with the .357 magnum load, though. The .38 was on the 'no need for courtesy' (acceptable ammo) list.

9. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

I'm no physicist, but there's something about .22 magnum out of a handgun that makes a high-pitched "cracky" sound... it IS more irritating than .45 and has more muzzle flash. Maybe being courteous means wrapping a pillow or something around your gun to muffle the sound and fury (like they do in the movies sometimes)... (kidding).

10. afi1

afi1 New Member

Yeah, the .22 Mags are pretty loud. You'd be shocked.

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

It happened again! Yeah!

I learn something new every day. I was just as surprised the other day when I discovered first-hand that .45 ACP didn't blow my hand off. It felt as tame as 9mm.

But that could have had something to do with the 35 oz. of 5" 1911 glorious steel in my paws.

FORE!!!!! (TEEFIVE)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  12. utf59

utf59 New Member

I wonder if they want you to set up a few lanes away from everyone if you are able. I have been to one range that had a sort of "magnum lane." But it appeared to have extra reinforcement on the backstop for that lane, and I thought that's why they had it.

I don't think anyone was disturbed when we started shooting hand-held howitzers, but they sure were curious.

Other than that, I don't know. Maybe a revolving amber warning light? :D

13. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

"We have a red-light challenge on lane 13! We recommend Level III Magnum Earplugs! Fire in the hole!"

14. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

15. EJS54

EJS54 New Member

I picked up a .357 gun with the intent to use .380 more than the other for cost savings. Of the ammo I bring with for that gun only 15% will be 357. Where I go there are mostly older people who go by them self and everyone shoots anything they want. If there is someone getting instruction as a new shooter or qualifying for CCW I would avid using anything with a larger bang and stick to .22 or 9mm.

16. Murfdog

Murfdog New Member

WHAT?If I'm at the range and all I brought was my .357 sig,.40 S&W or .45 I would still shoot.

Murfdog