What does the term truck gun mean?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hq357, Jan 3, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

I hear the term truck gun often used but what does it mean? Also what is a good truck gun?

2. Kdub

Kdub New Member

I gun you keep in your truck. something compact. A ruger ranch rifle comes to mind.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive always considered it a gun that you dont care if it gets a tad rusty dirty dinged up from being in a vehicle 24/7

4. Popeye77

Popeye77 New Member

Yeah, and one that will work without being meticulously cleaned after every use. And will take some abuse.

5. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

And often a somewhat inexpensive gun. Can mean car or truck

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

And kinda universal in its use: not too big, not too small, etc. Examples? I see alot of painted single-shot shotguns. Mine's also a "bug out/get home" rifle; shortened and lightened takedown 12+1 .22 Mag pump.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine's an old Mosin M-44

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Handy, rugged, not too valuable monetarily. Anything from a cheap pump shotgun with a minimum legal length barrel, to a lever gun or other beater carbine of some other action type.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Any firearm powerful enough to shoot and kill a Ford F-150 P/U with a single shot at 200 yards?:D

10. marc29th

marc29th New Member

LOL best answer ever

11. Redneck420

Redneck420 New Member

My personal definition of a truck gun: a gun that is.readily avalible in a moments notice while operating a/your car/truck.

12. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

From what I have heard is its a gun you can beat the crap out of, use, abuse and not have to worry very much.

13. jeepboy4life

jeepboy4life New Member

I can do that with my red rider! But my "jeep" gun as I call it is a. 22mag .410 over under. Bought it at a yard sale for 50 bucks!

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine is an H&R single shot 357 mag rifle.

15. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Any gun you can swing out the side window without knocking out your front glass.

16. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Kinda like a "tree trunk gun" only in a beater Chevy pick-em-up.

17. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

See if these pics work....

Generally agree with above,its a rig that isn't particularly "valuable".But then that's a relative term....meaning,what's valuable to one....may not be to another?

For me,it's more about the time of year(what's in season).Right now,a Savage short action,SS .223 makes sense.Any "more" scratches just add to it's character.

Reason for response....and it's prolly better served in the hunting section....is:I finished up a job "early" today.The "truck gun" is the above Savage,so took a nice long walk on the property with the tool at hand.

In the past,I've had truck guns that went un-cased.Nowadays...they're cased.Just sayin,they don't have to be complete "beaters" to qualify as truck guns?

Attached Files:

18. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

According to the yahoos on American Guns, a truck gun is when you strip down a Winchester 94 to its screws, rebuild the receiver out of titanium, mill a new stock and handguard from endangered Brazillian Chestnut Hemlock, laquered with the same material used to make space shuttle heat tiles, secure it in a custom designed forged aluminum self-locking rack mounted with gold plated bolts and fairy dust, and cut a check for a $5,000 bill for a gun that only cost $300 in the first place.

That's the Discovery Channel's version of a truck gun.

19. badasstruck

badasstruck New Member

Taurus model 72?? I have one in stainless I bought off a co worker who was hard up for cash. I'm not a big Taurus fan, but man it is a tack driver!! One of my favorite plinkers!

20. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

O.K. Scott....trying to resist,haha.

But you got me on space shuttle lacquer......inquiring minds want to know?

And for reference we're using a proprietary,matte Epoxy.And have used just about every finish devised.