Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear the term truck gun often used but what does it mean? Also what is a good truck gun?

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
ive always considered it a gun that you dont care if it gets a tad rusty dirty dinged up from being in a vehicle 24/7

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
And often a somewhat inexpensive gun. Can mean car or truck

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
And kinda universal in its use: not too big, not too small, etc. Examples? I see alot of painted single-shot shotguns. Mine's also a "bug out/get home" rifle; shortened and lightened takedown 12+1 .22 Mag pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
Handy, rugged, not too valuable monetarily. Anything from a cheap pump shotgun with a minimum legal length barrel, to a lever gun or other beater carbine of some other action type.

·
Registered
967 Posts
From what I have heard is its a gun you can beat the crap out of, use, abuse and not have to worry very much.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Any firearm powerful enough to shoot and kill a Ford F-150 P/U with a single shot at 200 yards?:D
I can do that with my red rider! But my "jeep" gun as I call it is a. 22mag .410 over under. Bought it at a yard sale for 50 bucks!

·
Premium Member
14,639 Posts
Mine is an H&R single shot 357 mag rifle.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Kinda like a "tree trunk gun" only in a beater Chevy pick-em-up.

·
Registered
210 Posts
See if these pics work....

Generally agree with above,its a rig that isn't particularly "valuable".But then that's a relative term....meaning,what's valuable to one....may not be to another?

For me,it's more about the time of year(what's in season).Right now,a Savage short action,SS .223 makes sense.Any "more" scratches just add to it's character.

Reason for response....and it's prolly better served in the hunting section....is:I finished up a job "early" today.The "truck gun" is the above Savage,so took a nice long walk on the property with the tool at hand.

In the past,I've had truck guns that went un-cased.Nowadays...they're cased.Just sayin,they don't have to be complete "beaters" to qualify as truck guns?

Attachments

·
FAA licensed bugsmasher
7,141 Posts
According to the yahoos on American Guns, a truck gun is when you strip down a Winchester 94 to its screws, rebuild the receiver out of titanium, mill a new stock and handguard from endangered Brazillian Chestnut Hemlock, laquered with the same material used to make space shuttle heat tiles, secure it in a custom designed forged aluminum self-locking rack mounted with gold plated bolts and fairy dust, and cut a check for a $5,000 bill for a gun that only cost $300 in the first place.

That's the Discovery Channel's version of a truck gun.

·
Registered
145 Posts
HockaLouis said:
And kinda universal in its use: not too big, not too small, etc. Examples? I see alot of painted single-shot shotguns. Mine's also a "bug out/get home" rifle; shortened and lightened takedown 12+1 .22 Mag pump.
Taurus model 72?? I have one in stainless I bought off a co worker who was hard up for cash. I'm not a big Taurus fan, but man it is a tack driver!! One of my favorite plinkers!

·
Registered
210 Posts
O.K. Scott....trying to resist,haha.

But you got me on space shuttle lacquer......inquiring minds want to know?

And for reference we're using a proprietary,matte Epoxy.And have used just about every finish devised.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts