Firearms Talk banner

what do you zero to?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  locutus 
#1 ·
I just picked up a Savage Model 11 in a .308 caliber. it has a vortex diamonback 3-9x40 scope on it already, with the BDC recticle (bullet drop compensation?)

anyone know what the little dots are "calibrated" to? is there a standard to zero your scope to?

I'd like to use this for some target shooting at 400 yards primarily, with the option of getting into deer hunting.

so, 100 yard zero? 200 yard zero?

would a 200 yard zero shoot "flatter"? (a little low at 100 yards, and a little low at 300 yards?)

fyi, this is my first long range firearm with magnification/scope. I want to push myself with some long range shooting. I can already shoot an 18" disc at 400 yards with iron sights on my AR...haven't tried anything longer distances yet, but I'd like to some day be able to say that I can make a 1000 yard shot:eek: haha!

#2 ·
I zero to 200yds. For iron or scope. I have a Leupold 6x18 cross hair, no dots, my mistake. For my M1A. Google your scope. There is a lot of how too on the net, mostly youtube.

#4 ·
I zero everything except my ARs at 100 yards. Most BDC reticules are calibrated in 100 yard increments.

Zero the cross hairs at 100, and the first dot below is normally 200, then 300 etc.

#5 ·
I zero to 200yds. For iron or scope. I have a Leupold 6x18 cross hair, no dots, my mistake. For my M1A. Google your scope. There is a lot of how too on the net, mostly youtube.
How do you zero irons for 200 yards? Replace the front blade?? I'm old school. I do have 150 yard express sights on 3 Rifles. They came that way.
Wood, Steel, over 50 years old.

#6 ·
jpattersonnh said:
How do you zero irons for 200 yards? Replace the front blade?? I'm old school. I do have 150 yard express sights on 3 Rifles. They came that way.
Wood, Steel, over 50 years old.
I have an M1A & Enfield with rear adjustable peep sights. The Enfield No. 4 MK 2 is elevation only. The M1A sight is very similar to the M1 Garand. I do not touch the front sight. Both rifle's irons can go to at least 600yds.

#10 ·
I Zero at 100 yards with all of my rifles except my 7MM Remington Magnum Rifle due to the flat trajectory of that caliber. I Zero it at 200 which is 1.3 inches high at 100.

#11 ·
how far are you intending on shooting out to ? I have a program that I really like to use with just a regular reticle , non bdc . .308 for me shooting coyotes would be 25 yard zero this will be 2.5" inches high at 100 and only 6" low at 300 more than enough to smoke a dog with . However if I was shooting paper for on center groups I would do it different .
a 200 yrd zero is 1.9" high at 100 and 8.3" low at 300 so the its really no better for my purpose than the 25 yard zero .
Dont ask thats just how it works :D

#12 ·
Zero the AR types with 62 gr M855 ball at 50, and you'll be right on at 200. (and damn close with M193):):)
Military style rifles, with their sight line so far above their bore line, are entirely different when it come to zeroing when compared to standard hunting rifles. ;)

#13 ·
Military style rifles, with their sight line so far above their bore line, are entirely different when it come to zeroing when compared to standard hunting rifles. ;)
Agreed. As I earlier stated, I zero hunting rifle at 100. since I consider 300 yards absolute maximum range for shooting animals, holdover isn't a problem.

My long range "social work" rifle, a .300 Magnum with target scope, is also zeroed to 100, but I keep a data sheet taped to the butt stock with the number of "clicks" for ranges to 800 yards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.