What do you want to do to your Mini ?

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by sandog, Nov 12, 2013.

1. sandog

sandog Member

Seems the Mini sub forum has gotten a bit stagnant, so I thought I'd start a new thread. So far with my 195 series, I've added an AccuStrut, a Tech rear peep, reduced my gas flow and added buffers, and polished up the trigger, breaks at 4 lbs. My Mini now shoots great, but there are a few things I want to work on. Mainly increase the stock length to make it more comfortable, and add the rail, so my old eyes have another option besides the iron sights. I have the tools to thread my barrel for an AR flashider, but haven't got around to doing it yet. I just bought an Ultimak railed hand guard and 5 more Ruger 20 round magazines, but haven't received them yet. I had been planning on mounting a Scout scope on the Ultimak, but now am leaning towards a red dot. Might get a Primary Arms Micro for now, and go to an Aimpoint CompC3 or M4 when finances allow. It should sit low enough to co- witness with the irons. I want to clamp a 45 degree rail in front of the red dot to hold one of my Surefire flashlights. Was thinking about getting a new Ruger wood stock (with the rubber pad) or a custom wood one to replace the short, curved buttplate factory stock, but now think I'll get a Hogue O.D. green one, stronger, less prone to warp and grippier when hands are wet. I'm trying to keep the Mini simple and practical without getting too tacticool. Also waiting for the guy on perfectunion.com to start manufacturing and selling his Mini stripper clip guide. What plans do some of you have for modifying your Mini's ?

2. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

I think the problem might be the same dilemma I have.....many posters here are more or less "finished" with their mini's adjustments & mods....

add that to the fact that he mini has only changed in very minor ways since its inception, and you tend to get a bit of stagnation.

we also need some "new blood" if possible, to get threads like your going on a regular basis.

s for us old regulars, we need to fire up riverrat's shooting challenge again, or create another one....that thread was hot for quite awhile.

also...there are many other topics we could start.....like hunting with minis, what we love/dislike about minis, success of mods, ideas for improvements, product reviews, etc.

no reason for this to be a dead forum.....the mini is a great gun.....:)

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I am planning to mount a scout rail to my 580 series Mini 14. I have not decided whether to use an Amega or an Ultimak. The Ultimak is $21 cheaper and free shipping. They both look good. I had an Amega on my Mini 30 and it made a difference in the accuracy.

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I can tell you one thing not worth doing to it. Mounting a suppressor. The rifle malfunctioned, blew smoke, and wasn't all that quiet, in part because of the reciprocating steel charge handle.

A scout scope I think is a great idea because the Mini 14/30 is a scout rifle, really. It is so handy, it feels out of place on a benchrest or a bipod. If you got a 580 series, my word is, do nothing else.

5. ccase39

ccase39 Member

Nothing. I like mine just the way it is. Maybe put a gas block bushing in but thats it.
    Mine is old with a pretty rare stock so I don't want to do too much to it.

6. LeMat

LeMat New Member

Nothing but shoot it.

7. delutz

delutz New Member

I just recently bought a 580 series mini with the thumb hole wooden stock. I would like to replace it with something synthetic, mainly because of the options those stocks give. The archangel Sparta stock was one that perked my ears due to the top rail. I like the idea of adding flip up iron sights since mine did not come with fixed ones. Does anyone know anything about this stock?

8. ratpacker

ratpacker Member

I recently bought an Accu-Strut, installed it on 187 series Ranch; Nice TRIGGER JOB( (GOOD 4 LBS.) + ATI folder.. Next, I need a suggestion on an illuminated scout scope.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  9. JTJ

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  10. JTJ

It sounds like you bought a target model. If it is it is not chambered for military 5.56x45 but for 223 so be careful which ammo you use. Most mini's are chambered for the 5.56x45 and will shoot either.

11. sandog

sandog Member

Ratpacker, The Leupold Mark Ar scopes with fire dot are an awesome illuminated scope, lots of features only found on much more expensive tactical scopes, about $400. I have one on my AR. delutz, congrats on your purchase. The Sparta stocks seem a bit much, IMO, if you want a top rail get an Ultimak railed handguard to replace the plastic factory one. They help stiffen the barrel and the aluminum acts as a heat sink so your barrel will stay cooler.

12. delutz

delutz New Member

JTJ, nice call on the 5.56. I hadn't noticed the target models were not chambered for both. Sandog, I checked out the ultimak stocks. They look like the exact same model as the Tapco stocks at the same price point. To be honest, the Tapcos were I impressive and looked kind of cheap. I am not in a huge rush to replace the stock so I will do more looking around and asking what people have used and liked. Thanks for the input though

13. sandog

sandog Member

delutz, I didn't know Ultimak made a stock. I'll have to check their website again. What I was talking about was an aluminum hand-guard that has a rail on it. It replaces the factory hand guard. Just re-read your original post, and the Ultimak wouldn't help you if you have the Target model and want to mount a front and rear sight on a top rail. The Ultimak is more for a a forward mounted scout scope or a forward mounted red dot.

14. delutz

delutz New Member

Sandog, on closer evaluation, the stock they sell IS a Tapco with the ultimak hand guard.

15. JTJ

I ordered the Ultimak M4s scout rail today from Brownells. Same $139 price as the Ultimak web site but free shipping on $150 and no tax. Ultimak is in AZ so I would have to pay tax+ $7.50 shipping. I had to do a filler order to get o $150 so I got some 20 gauge #3 buck basically for free. I will use a Bushnell TRS25 for now or maybe a 2x pistol scope I have to test the accuracy. Semi's are hard on scopes but the forward mount eases that up quite a bit. Also you dont have to remove the scope to field strip the rifle.

16. sandog

sandog Member

My Ultimak will be here Saturday. Just got my older mini threaded to 1/2"x 28, put an A2 flash hider on it for now. Ordered a Hogue OM stock and getting a new style front sight to replace my old blade type one. My Mini is starting to come together !

17. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Just got my first Mini. It's an all EVIL black 582. Just from research thinking trigger job, and the adjustable gas/strut system. Add a decent scope and I should be good to go. Not looking for a total tack driver, but would like to hit what I am at to around 200 yards. Oh, I guess I should take it to the range at least once before finalizing my plans. Can't wait to get it out, and see what it's all about.

18. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

180 series

Other than 'just shoot it', I am interested in finding the time to compress the flat steel spring clip that holds the fore-arm in place. It's a bit loose and the wiggle bothers me.

I can't really think of anything it needs that merits the cost. Better spent on a more accurate platform. :)

This is one that I may let go some day, I think it get's a better price in NY with it's unsafe act. Don't know for sure, just read something like that somewhere IIRC.

19. Misfire51

Misfire51 New Member

The spring clip is on the stock front hand guard channel locks will work but don't over do it. Personally I like the Choate handguard , gives the Mini that M14 look and better air flow. I have a lot of accessories for mine, its a 196, Ultimak rail, Weigand rail, Tech Sights, TRS25 red dot, Millet red dot x2, QCB scope, Scout scope, Accu-strut , trigger job , Hogue stock, and a few other goodies. Mini is a great platform to work off of.

20. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Thanks, I was thinking vice-grips might work best due to it's adjustable stop feature.

I'm keeping this baby stock. It's the 180, so it's End of Life as far as parts and support, but it is the original.