What do you want in an AR-15?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by WestForkArmory, Aug 23, 2012.

1. WestForkArmory

WestForkArmory New Member

So we are looking to start building a AR line off of the ideas you guys have? So what type of rifle you like? What would your ideal price range be for this rifle?

Ideas can consist of barrel, caliber, length, stock, optics, sights, bolt carrier, buffer assemblies, sling attachments, and the thousand other items that will work with the AR platform.

Hunting or self-defense we're open to ideas and would like to hear what you think is missing from todays AR rifles.

2. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Well this could be a long answer, but I'll keep it short.

1. 16 inch barrel
    2. 5.56 chamber
    3. mid length DI gas system
    4. Iron sights
    5. rail accross the top to the front sight
    6. Ports on the hand guard to add addition rails at 6, 3, 9 o'clock
    7. Ejection port cover.
    8. MOE stock (4 position)
    9. A 6.8 barrel and chambered rifle would be nice (maybe)
    10. Flip up front and rear sights.

That's all I can think of at this time.
    Something like this.

Jim

[​IMG]

Oh, ya a Houge hand grip.

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I'm a believer in KISS. Keep it simple stupid. :D

Here's what I'm building

Caliber-5.56
    PSA stripped lower.
    RRA single stage trigger and parts kit
    BCM Standard (lightweight) upper with 16" barrel (mid length) (it is a flat top in case I ever decide I want to swap the carry handle sight for something else)
    BCM carry handle sight
    BCM auto bolt carrier group
    BCM Gunfighter charging handle
    Magpul MOE adjustable stock, mid length hand guard, and grip
    Magpul Magazines

This rifle will be used for everything from Hunting, to plinking, to HD. This set up should cost around $1000-$1200.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  4. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

i've always wondered why AK ammo was SO MUCH cheaper than .223/5.56..............how bout an AR built to shoot 7.62 x 39mm???

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

M4 feed ramp.
    I am in the process of assembling an A2 with the M4 ramp.
    Just waiting for the parts to come in.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Might get a better response here.

What i look for is a disclosure in what parts and testing are done to the components.

Then it depends on what purpose the ar is for. I just bought an upper from rainier arms simply because it was the only one available that had a flat top claimed to be squared and trued for accuracy and had no m4 ramps. I would have also preffered no forward assist and no brass deflector but it was not an option. Granted not a lot of folks are into that sort of thing so its a limited market.

For my home defense shtf i just went with bcm since they have a good reputation for producing milspec guns.

Midlength lightweight are very popular

7. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

You can already buy an ar upper chambered in that caliber.

8. me762

me762 New Member

If you offered an affordable 6.5 Grendel upper / rifle they would sell like crazy. For an upper in the $450-500 and a complete rifle for under $1000. I'm talking bar bones on the accessories. Maybe a free float option for a little more. No front sight just a railed gas block. It would fill a need in the Grendel market as the bargain priced upper/ rifle. The Grendel is no longer trademarked so none of that BS to deal with

9. KingTiger

KingTiger Member

9" 1:7 twist
    300 BLK
    Pistol gas
    H2 buffer
    Blackout 51T FH/Mount
    No sights
    Gas Buster CH

10. WestForkArmory

Liking the ideas so far. We might pursue the lower cost Grendel rifle if we can swing getting the barrels at a lower cost.

11. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

What do i want in an AR? A full mag of 5.56 AP rounds.

12. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

OH..... and the parts that make it fire :p

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Seems as I always have guys asking for cheap cheap ARs as it seems money is pretty tight now a days . A complete rifle in the low $500 range . It is possible with the current $399 DPMS upper you guys sell and the New Frontier complete Poly lower that Joe Bobs sells for $109 shipped . Not my thing but it is cheap .
    So many options to choose in this platform , you just cant carry everything available or you would have millions in inventory .
    Heres my choice 5.56 , 14.7" barrel, mid gas, pinned flash hider in 1:8 or 1:9 twist, F/A mil spec bolt carrier MPI HPT tested , 4 oz heavy buffer ,6 pos buffer tube , MOE gear / , stock ,forearm, rear sight , Hogue grip , What ever stripped lower so long as its up to spec. and a PSA LPK , I have had nothing but good luck with these ,
    Would be a great deal and these would sell like hot cakes in the low to mid $700 range with the option for a .22lr bolt kit and mag @ a added $139 . This way a person has 2 calibers to shoot in the less than $850 range and yet still cheap and economical to shoot

The grendel is a great choice but most people looking for a AR style rifle want inexpensive to shoot and unfortunantly thats not the cheapest round to sling out there.

People like the aggressive look of the short barrel rifle and most I have talked to dont understand the concept of a longer barrel or dont care . Its alot about looks first ,function last which is totally back asswards

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  14. WestForkArmory

So something like this?

Attached Files:

15. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Looks good to me :)

16. WestForkArmory

The DPMS uppers we sell for $399.99, will work great for your build and will keep you under $630.00 with one of our CMMG lower parts kits for $69.99 and a mil-spec buffer assembly.

http://www.westforkarmory.com/cmmg-lower-receiver-parts-kit.html

http://www.westforkarmory.com/milspec-stock-hardware-kit.html

You will just need a butt stock. You can use this promo code to get a little more off (5percentoff). It will take 5% off your whole purchase including our nightvision optics.

17. me762

me762 New Member

Keep me posted. A 16" m4 barreled with stock handguards and a 20" with a free float or at least an option for a little higher price point. I like YHM free float handguards They are easy to install and made very Well for the price. Both should be optics ready so no front sight tower. So on the stock handguard models a railed gas block would be nice so if wanted the sights could be added and for that free float models a low pro gas block under the handguards would be a nice touch

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I want two things from my shoprt, lightweight AR.

I want it to go "bang" every time I pull the trigger, and I want it to be capabvle of head shots out to 250-300 yards with ball ammo.

So I bought a Colt LE6940, and didn't have the hassle of building it. It also comes with a warranty, so if it breaks, I don't have the hassle oor expense of fixing it.:p

But, to each his own!:D

19. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

if you going with a Grendel barrels, I'd recommend getting into .300 bo too!

20. WestForkArmory

We do make 300 blk rifles, when we can get barrels.