Firearms Talk banner

What do you use to lube your AR Bolt?

6K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  crockett007 
#1 ·
I'm still learning the AR15. I have been spraying it with alot of rem oil. Is there a better option for me. I want my toys to last ya know?

#5 ·
May want to look at some of the syn lub's. They are generally lighter visc and provide superior wear resistant (lub) with a thinner oil film. For a very light oil I use Amsoil MP. I have used it on all my AR's and AK's, bolt rifles and handguns over the past 6 years with no wear or tear or lubrication malfunctions. I have also used Tetra Lube with good results, as Slow mentioned.

AMSOIL MP Metal Protector and EXCELLENT LUBE FOR GUNS!! A synthetic, greaseless all-purpose lubricant that provides metal surfaces with a long-lasting film. It forms no gum or sludge. Its penetrating agents cut through rust and corrosion to allow free movement of hardware and high-friction parts.

• Lubricates metal surfaces
  • Cuts through rust
  • Protects electrical equipment
  • Resists moisture, even salt water
  • Excels in household applications
  • Sprays into hard-to-reach places
  • Excellent on all firearms and componentry

Jack

#7 ·
I've been using Break-Free CLP. Im almost out.
Someone use Synthetic motor oil? Jack maybe??
I think I read someone here recommend it.
Might just buy a quart of Mobil 1 next time.:)

#8 ·
Mobil1

Stop laughing. It works freakin' great. Just a little keeps that puppy very smooth and it doesn't gum up at all.

#13 ·
0-40 is what I use...same stuff I put in my car.

#14 ·
I'm as old-school as anyone here and if Rem-Oil isn't on my bench I need to find a 24hr sporting goods store.

With that said, Mobil 1.

Do you guys think the gun industry worked/spent as much time/$ finding a lube for a hot, carbon-deposited environment than the auto guys do for a number of reasons?

Here's what you do, get a bunch of those 1oz squirt bottles like eye drops. Buy a quart of Mobil 1 and fill the bottles. Now hand them out to your shooting buddies and tell them to try out this new M4 lube.

I'll bet everyone will be back asking where they can buy this stuff! And the ones that don't come back don't shoot enough to see how well this stuff works.

Tell them you're the distributor and can get it cheap if they want it without labels.

Sell it at the same price they spend on their current lube. You will make money hand over fist on that deal!

Think about that! We buy a little 1oz bottle of Rem-Oil for $2+

Remington Rem Oil Gun Oil 1 oz Liquid - MidwayUSA - $2.09

$2 oz X 32 ozs = $64 qt (What's a qt of Mobile 1 go for?)

Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30 (1-Quart) - $6.29

Or just tell them about it like we told you.

#16 ·
#17 · (Edited)
I actually stopped worrying about these issues once I was lucky enough to learn about Crest Ultrasonic

It cleans, thoroughly, and then lubricates all parts you can fit in the tank. *shrug*

The lubricant is available on it's own and I have never had a problem treating ANY of my weapon systems with it.

JD

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
I actually stopped worrying about these issues once I was lucky enough to learn about Crest Ultrasonic
Out of curiosity, what does that thing cost? Looks pretty expensive.

-Fred

#20 ·
Out of curiosity, what does that thing cost? Looks pretty expensive.

-Fred
I got a small one, not the big one you see in the picture there with all the black rifles by it.

Mine will accept like two pistols, or the parts from one rifle.

I got a deal, actually I got a coupon for a deal at SHOT in 2006, and it was purchased for me as a birthday gift that same year. I believe the entire, good to go kit that I got was around $1200 and that included everything needed to start cleaning weapons...

JD

#22 ·
I am not seeing the jihad link. The company is Crest Ultrasonic. They are international and they make stuff for hospitals and all sorts of stuff other than gun cleaning gear.

I have removed the links in case I am the only one who can't see the JIHAD notice...

JD

#24 ·
The link worked fine for me. Took me to their website, and had a picture of the cleaner that you described, the one with black rifles in it and leaning against it. Had information for it and whatnot.

-Fred

#25 ·
Sorry all. JD's link worked just fine.
I clicked on another link on that page for distributors and got a bad link on my PC
Dont know why:confused:
Sorry-----Gate

#26 ·
I've been using Break-Free CLP. Im almost out.
Someone use Synthetic motor oil? Jack maybe??
I think I read someone here recommend it.
Might just buy a quart of Mobil 1 next time.:)
Yes, I use Amsoil synthetics, Mobile 1 is more available for others. They both work exceptionally.

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.