Firearms Talk banner

What do you use to change the hammer spring?

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  GunDoc 
#1 · (Edited)
I would like to hear how the masses here change the Mini hammer spring after removing from the trigger group.

I remember having had some struggles in the past, but recently knew I had several to do so came up with my own gadget to make it fool proof with no possibility of launching it into orbit.

I will post some pics here when I take them.

Your responses may improve the current design.

Thanks, Ed

#4 ·
Mini hammer spring tool

I made a couple sleeves with proper inside contours to capture and release the hammer spring off the pin punch used to remove the spring with the guide bar.
Chucked one end in my drill press and used a small vise to holt the other. Really solid and completely eliminates any chance to launch the spring.

Wood Tool Gas Bicycle part Auto part

Here is what i successfully used today in a parking lot.
Got a large C-clamp and made a couple crude aluminum guides. When I initially tried this, the ends started to slide off the C-clamp. You know what I mean as it happens all the time with these.

Machine tool Gas Engineering Machine Metal
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Bumper Machine tool

Gas Circle Darkness Wood Metal

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Your tool looks good. I use a small crescent wrench and a pair of vice grips with masking tape on the jaws. When working with springs i always work in a plastic bag so i can't loose a spring.

You look familiar i grew up in Fremont. Did you go to Washington High?

#7 ·
I just put a Wolff extra power hammer spring in my Mini-30 last night. It turned out to be easier than I had thought, took about 5 minutes.

I used a small vice to compress the spring on the strut. I positioned the captured spring side of the strut on one jaw & the bottom half of the spring inside the other jaw. I slowly compressed the spring with my hand over it to keep it from launching until the hole in the strut was exposed. I then inserted the short end of a hex key into the strut hole. Replace the assembly, cock the hammer, remove the hex key.

Hopefully, it will have the extra force needed to set off the Norinco ammo I've been using.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.