What do you think when you see the word militia?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by pioneer461, Jul 9, 2009.

1. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Cammo wearing weekend warriors running around the forest, or patriotic American ready and willing to defend his / her country under current federal law? US CODE: Title 10,311. Militia: composition and classes

The media loves to put their spin on both militia and survivalist.

This book is like reading today's news and current events. Especially regarding the economy.

Read: Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse: A Novel of the Turbulent Near Future (Expanded and Updated 33 Chapter Edition) (Paperback) Amazon.com

[​IMG]

2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

That!! Well said. :cool:

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I think of the FBI, Waco and Ruby Ridge. I also think that we live in interesting times. :rolleyes:

4. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

Just my veiw

"Cammo wearing weekend warriors running around the forest, or patriotic American ready and willing to defend his / her country under current federal law?"

I think of both of the above. My big issue is at what price do these people puck up arms and fight the "oppressive laws". Is it when the FBI or federal gov come knocking or would they fight the local police or sheriff when they come around. At that point do you draw the line? I have come across people in my life that do not believe in taxes, or government law. But they still what to driver on the roadways, get government help with health issues and use the county and state attorney when they get in to the Shi*. I agree that a well armed USA is a good think and law abiding citizens should have the right to have firearms. If Americans roll over and give up there guns then we will be bound to fall. But should be fight this with guns or laws and representation. Times have changed from the days of old. The country's creators could not have envisioned the weapons that citizens can have in there homes. The idea of a gun that would cut threw metal and shot 100's of round in seconds was not even an idea in those days.

Just another way of looking at it all.

5. Seadog75

Seadog75 New Member

The malitia is every able bodied American. Now when I hear that word (malitia) I think of a bunch of red neck bubas that never made it into the military dressing up in dated bdu's playing soilder. That is what I picture in my head when I hear the word.

6. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Don't under estimate Bubba though:D

7. CA357

I'll take Bubba watching my six any day. ;)

8. kodiak1973

kodiak1973 New Member

I guess I think a couple of things. First of all, I think of the Minutemen from the Revolutionary War. The original militia men.

The other is how I see myself. I was never in the military and I don't claim to be any expert on survival or guns or anything like that but I do believe that it is my responsibility as a citizen to be armed and ready to defend my country and my family from enemies both foreign and domestic. I hope that if it ever comes to that, I can actually do some good. Oh, and I guess the scariest thing is identifying the enemies.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  9. Seadog75

Seadog75 New Member

Better watch out, Buba might ask for you to squeal like a pig or say you have a pertty mouth with all that back 6 watching:eek:. Just kidding but I'd be real leary when the banjo's come out.:D

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

LOL....now that's funny, :D but I do know CA357 and he would not be a willing or unwilling participant in them kind of Buba games, one damn banjo strum and there would be a bunch of dead Bubas. ;)

11. CA357

I said watch my six, not perform unnatural acts. :eek:

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

When I hear the word 'militia', I think of "Metal Militia" by Metallica.

13. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I think of the National Guard as they're the states' militias. They're also the only federally recognized militias. Others generally have ties to unsavory groups like the Aryan Nation and the like.

14. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I think of a loosely organized, well regulated citizens army made up of 100% volunteers, as were the Revolutionary War Militias, as the Constitution and Second Amendment describe.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

I think of the Second Amendment (free app for the iphone or ipod touch).

However, a buddy in Memphis asked me if i was "joining a militia" when i sent him an e-pic of my SKS after adding the tapco stuff. The Olive Drab stock probably threw him off.

16. m72law

m72law New Member

i think of the movie ''The Patriot''...not the first one...but the one with mel gibson...& metallica's kill'em all album...would make for one badazz soundtrack in that movie..heck...any movie...even steal magnolias:)

17. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

Ummm.... I think ragtag. No offense to any national guard guys, just the first word that comes to mind. I don't just think of Americas militias. Historically, America's militias are inexperienced and awesomely equipped, unlike combat units such as the airborne or the rangers. I think of the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker in BDUs looking nervous. But I also think of myself because if the call came I would probably go and fight, parents permission or not. Would I do much good? I don't know. If I was thrown into a unit, maybe. If not, then probably not. I'm not rambo...

18. Hey-you-guys

Hey-you-guys New Member

Dude, I was thinking the exact same thing.

19. bkt

bkt New Member

The word militia, to me, means an unorganized (i.e. does not receive state or federal funds in any way) group of individuals who train as infantry. Support/logistics personnel would be part of the militia, too.

Media and anti-gun idiots have done a really good job over the decades of turning the word "militia" into something bad. Most unorganized militias are not about white supremacy or hating Jews. Check out this July 4th speech: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTRJB8S09QA]part one[/ame] and [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyyefXBSXSQ]part two[/ame]. Does this guy seem screwed up to you?

Similarly, survivalist has been made into a dirty word. It invokes images of BDU-clad paranoids living in a dusty Montana compound surrounded by a mine field. That's wrong. A survivalist today is anyone who takes steps to mitigate any disaster by storing food and water, consumables like soap, toothpaste, etc, having a garden with several different types of veggies, having a generator, storing fuel for it and for vehicles, collecting rain water or making use of a well or spring, having a bug-out bag and a bug-out location, paying off your debt and not incurring more debt, and a good deal more. Being a survivalist isn't about waiting for the Zombie Apocalypse (not that that doesn't have its appeal). And it isn't about living in fear. It's about taking easy steps now that can address a range of potential disasters so you don't need to panic later.

I'd like to plug James Wesley Rawles' book "Patriots" as well. Also, if you're an ipod user, check out The Survival Podcast.

20. opaww

opaww New Member

Well put and I agree