What do you think the best SKS magazine is?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by ar15shooter, Dec 1, 2012.

1. ar15shooter

ar15shooter New Member

I would like to ask you all what you think the best magazine for the SKS is. Do you think the attached magazine is the best or if not what magazine do you think is better.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The original military issued mag is the best mag for reliability.

If you want higher capacity, there were Chinese 20 round mags that were attached just like the original.

If you want to use AK mags, either find one of the less common Chinese SKSs that actually has a mag well built from teh factory to accept AK mags. Other wise if the high capacity and ability to use AK mags is so important...........get an AK.

3. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

The best Chinese SKS mag ever made is the Type 63 20rd with the bolt hold open. I have a couple of them that I use in my Ak when bench shooting. Only problem is they're around $60+ if you can find them. I picked mine up years ago when they were cheap, but should've gotten a few xtra.

4. hq357

hq357 New Member

Probably the original stripper clips are most reliable

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There has been enough electricity used posting about problems w/ detachable mags for the SKS to power the city of Armarillo for a month. As already said up there ^^^- stick with the original fixed mag- or buy an AK.

It s like teaching your cat to play poker- even if the cat learns, he will not play well.

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Voted "Best to the point hands down most solid true factual reply of the day" :cool:

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The mag the rifle was built with.

Should have a matching serial #...

8. hq357

hq357 New Member

Stripper clips are more tactical anyway you can carry alot more ammo weighs alot less and they where made for the rifle and they are alot cheaper and inexpensive you can also re use them . But sks magazines on the other hand are big , clunky heavy have a weird *** duckbill and you need to modify your rifle to get it to fit properly requires sanding grinding ect mags might be too lose or too tight also causes misfeeds double feeds and more prone to jaming then the original stripper clips

9. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

ar15shooter, I believe your question was which was the best mag made for the SKS? The best mag made for them was the Type 63. Naturally it was made for the select fire Type 63 rifle, but if you have an SKS that had been converted to accept AK mags then this mag would be fine used in both the SKS and the AK. I've been using them for years in my AK and found them to be totally reliable and convenient with the bolt hold open. If your rifle is the standard SKS then you should use it as is. These 2 websites will answer all your questions regarding this.
    www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_63_assault_rifle
    www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=48971.0

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  10. Juzi9mm

Juzi9mm New Member

my norinco triangle 26 has the stock 10 rounder in it, i have had terrible luck with duck bill mags, but who needs em anyway, i now have an AK.

11. Spazzmodicus

Spazzmodicus New Member

I use two duckbill Cobray 30 round mags in my SKS with total reliability. In my opinion, the polymer mags are better by far than steel mags primarily because you can work with them, and usually have to to get them to function without problems.

It's as simple as getting a fine file and filing down the feedlips and sometimes the area that activates the bolt hold-open. Cycle the bolt, see what's interfering, file a little bit, check operation again.

Sometimes polymer mags have more "feed lips" than they need. You can file more 'gap' between the lips and actually improve performance. But it is important to only file off a minute amount of material at a time and check operation again or else you'll render the mag into a useless pile of plastic. Make sure you file the lips 'square' and straight, not crooked and angled.

And by "check operation" I mean 'cycle the bolt'. It's highly advisable to use Snap Caps while checking feed and bolt hold-open. But they are expensive at $15 or $20 for five.

I must admit that I used live ammo.......so if that's the case for you, for crying out loud keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction away from other people, preferably out in a rural area. Go to a buddy's house if you have to. A negligent discharge can go through two or three walls and get you into a lot of trouble.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  12. mongo43

mongo43 New Member

I just use the stock 10 round mag. It has never had a fail to feed or a double feed. They are like a timex. Take a lickn' and keep on tickin'.

13. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

My Frankenstein Norinco runs absolutely flawlessly with the Tapco 20 rounders, they won't refill through the top of the rifle with stripper clips though. Never tried a steel duckbill.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  14. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I second that, ive had 3 or 4 detachable mags and none of them were worth a damn. I stick with the built in mag.

15. rebeldrummer96

rebeldrummer96 New Member

I have an original Russian sks and I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a conversion kit out for it so it can accept AK mags?

16. SSGN_Doc

I'd leave an original Russian SKS alone. If you really want AK capacity that works reliably and doesn't alter the gun, get an AK clone. A Russian SKS in really good condition can probably get you a decent payment on an AK.clone.

"Customized" SKSs will tend to lose value now that supplies of good condition originals are dwindling.

17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a NORINCO and I use a NORINCO twenty round fixed magazine with it. 100 percent reliable, loads with strippers, and the original 10 round fixed can be reinstalled in 15 seconds.

18. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

This. Even with the lowly 10 round factory mag in it, if you practice with Chargers, you can pull off some fast reloads. It has worked well that way for close to 70 years, so why change it now?

19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I can strip two chargers, 20 rounds, into the SKS almost as fast as changing detachable mags in my AK.:).

20. SSGN_Doc

Then you aren't swapping your AK mags right.:D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Eq2XzZBO_M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Eq2XzZBO_M[/ame]