What do you think is the coolest special ops unit?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by RustyShackleford101, Mar 22, 2012.

1. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

From pretty muck any time period.

2. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Easy answer is "they all kick @$$" at one time or another.... but for me, it has to be Roger's Rangers (1750"s). Their raid on St.Francis put an end to the war parties slaughtering the frontier colonies and brought an earlier end to the French and Indian War. The tactics they employed were later used by the Colonist to befeat THE military power in the world at that time (the British army) and secure independence. Plus, those same ranging rules are used today by multiple special forces throughout the modern world.

3. RustyShackleford101

I can't really decide. I love the story of sas captain Roy Farran. In operation tombola, he was denied authorization to partake in the mission with his unit. He jumped from the plane anyways and claimed he "tripped". Then when on the ground operation tombola was cancelled, but in direct defiance he proceeded on and whipped the nazi's ass. When he got home, he got a medal. That's the way to do it.

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The ones who's stories were never told, because they were never there.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

And we have a WINNAH!

I DO have a somewhat unusual nominee- a British Reserve unit that during 1943, made their way into neutral territory, and blew up a German merchant vessel that was radioing U boats with shipping traffic leaving the harbor.

In 1943, the Calcutta Light Horse in India was tasked with taking out the freighter Ehrenfels (sp?) which was interned in a neutral port (Portugal) in the Indian state of Goa.

The Calcutta Light Horse was more of a National Guard unit. Members were businessmen, etc. Raid was made using a harbor dredge, weapons that could not be traced to the British, etc. This was kept classified until about 1978.

On returning to his office the day after the raid, one of the raiders, an insurance agent, found everyone in the office upset. Seems a ship his company insured had been blown up in the harbor at Goa. :p

6. RustyShackleford101

I found it interesting that in world war two, the OSS acquired the services of "lucky" Luciano and the new York mob. I guess we needeD all the help we could get. Btw I think and awesome unit is navy seals team six, these guys took down bin laden

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

For me it would have to be force recon 6th batt. Marines during vietnam. Reason being my mentor was a sniper attached to them for six tours of duty. Vietnam and the cambodia mess right after that is.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I would say NSA and CIA. We had a few in our small FOB and were able to hang out w/ them. Collectively they were all very intelligent and very dedicated to duty.