what do you think about the NRA?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by lonewolf101, Jul 7, 2011.

1. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I use to be a memember back in the early 80's but it seemed like every week or so I was asked for money! and what do you get on your return? there groups out there that do more good then NRA.

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I stopped caring about the NRA when they endorsed Harry Reid. :confused:

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I was a member for many years in my early 20's. Fell lock and step into every cause they brought me. Wrote checks, wrote letters, defended them when asked, paraded around with their badge on every vehicle I had.

Then I got a little older, a little wiser and started to see that while still an 800 pound gorilla in the room. The gorilla is neither the sharpest, the cleverest, nor the most loyal when other groups have a higher pass thru rate on donations, more presence on grass roots movements and suffer from much less "character" in their overhead.

I currently have no use for the NRA in my house, and will not, until they clean their own aging, lying, corrupt house.

JD

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I admit I also sometimes get tired of opening material as you have. But which would you rather have. Someone who asking for some money for support, that is doing everything possible to protect your rights to keep and bear your arms and second amendment rights. After all, no one says you are under obligation to send money. Bottom line if it were not for the NRA you would not have your weapons today. Or would be dead trying to keep and defend them.
    Sorry for the stern comment but stop and think about it. I sure do not have the money to take on the Brady group and ant-gun lobby myself and I am sure many of us fall in this category.
    The NRA is kind of like a Basket Ball Team at your local high school. You may not like all the players on the team, but you support the team anyway and hope the win! I do not always agree with everything the NRA does. But I do realize if it were not for them we would be like Canada, Australia, England and the rest. And we would rather be hiding, defending or having our prized possessions sawed in half and destroyed. That is why I live in America, support the NRA and will stand no matter what the cost to protect mine and your second amendment rights. There may be other groups out there some of which I also support. But they do not have the power as the NRA :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Interesting thread. When I bought my gun, the guy who directed me towards the GP100 also told me not to join the NRA. I never asked why.

6. Car54

Car54 New Member

IMO, that was the past regime that led the way. The current group has all the appearances of politicians. Power seeking, money grabbing, spewing hot air just enough to keep people paying dues and garnering a few new people along the way, while not performing.

7. moonpie

moonpie New Member

i've been a NRA member for so long that i can't remember the year i enrolled. if you have another group support them. if not then you're free to leach off the hard work of your betters.

8. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

when I ordered from midway USA they gave the change to them on my invoice it said the NRA got over 6.5 mil from them.I'm not saying their BAD they do good at times but other times they make no sense.

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

NRA membership is a requirement to be a member of my range, so I am a member. I feel they do some good, however I think the GOA does more and better. So I belong to both and the Gun Owners of California as well.

10. freefall

freefall New Member

I am an NRA Life Member. One of the discount crew that Neal Knox railed against so hard. Am I happy with everything they do? No. Wayne LaPierre seems like the ultimate politician/used car salesman to me. You vote for whoever for directors but Wayne LaPierre goes on and on. The consummate bureaucrat. And he surrounds himself with others of his ilk. That being said, who is doing more to protect my guns? As mentioned above, if not for the NRA we wouldn't have any guns so would not have the NRA to bitch about. If other organizations do better join them and contact the NRA with your dissatisfactions. But when there are 80 million gun owners in the US and less than 4 million NRA members I feel that there are a lot of people sitting in the wagon saying "Why aren't you guys pulling us faster?".

11. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

i've been an NRA member for over 50 years. Without the NRA you could not legally own a BB gun in the US today.

Only about 10 percent of NRA members ever contribute to the NRA-PVF or NRA-ILA. It's a sad thing when gun owners refuse to contribute the price of a premium six pack of beer to help protect their right to own a gun.

12. Sniper03

Freefall,

You are absolutely correct! The labor of a few protect the rights of millions. I am not saying that everyone should be an NRA Member. But if they have and like their weapons they should join some pro second amendment group. I could only think about how strong and how much protection and power we could have in government if they did. With seeing and knowing what only 4 million NRA members do to protect our tights, could you only imagine if 50 or 60 million gun owners belonged to a group! The Brady group would be sucking wind! They are not doing too well at the present. God help us in 2012 if Mr. Wonderful and his Attorney General get back in office with Hillery. As the old saying goes KATIE BAR THE DOOR! If the 50 to 60 Million would vote!

bgone for sure.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  13. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not convinced the current NRA is out for our good as pierre fully endorsed reid for senate and in wisconsin lobbied against TEA party affiliate groups on legislation to ban 1st ammendment rights for small political oganizations to buy radio newspaper and tv time.

the nra is against some honestly good legislation like the upcoming penalties for straw buyers in wisconsin. they did help get our ccw/oc bill passed but i cant get past the stupid stances they take on a lot more.

maybe im wrong i dont know but its why im on the fence regarding membership.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah, I'm a NRA member.

I paid for my membership in December, and they asked me to "renew" in

January, less than three weeks later? Did somebody create new, faster

years when i wasn't paying attention?

They need to stop wasting our time and money with all the begging

and go DO their damn job...

15. moonpie

moonpie New Member

freedom ain't free it takes money to do the damn job.
    you just got caught up in the holiday paper shuffle.

16. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

But but but why did they endorse reid?

17. moonpie

moonpie New Member

there are times , regardless of the pain, that we must pick the lesser of two evils. it's not always an easy choice. remember in WW2 we backed the mass-murderer Stalin against the genocidal Hitler.

18. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Yes I remember. It was wrong then and it's still wrong today. We need to stop picking the lesser of two evils and start choosing correctly. Remember what happened after we picked the lesser of two evils during WWII. we spent the next 50 dicking with them. I don't want to spend the next 50 years dicking with the likes of reid.

19. Sniper03

rjd,

No the NRA did not endorse Harry Reid for everyone's information!

You can read about it at this address:
    blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/08/27/for-reid-no-nra-endorsement :D

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

They've been in DC too long!