What do you know about Cerokote

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by PIRATECAPTAIN, May 24, 2013.

1. PIRATECAPTAIN

PIRATECAPTAIN New Member

I have been thinking about having the barrel and upper and lower done on my AR this is a 300 black out build. Should I do it my self or have it done by a shop that does it. Does any one have any knowledge about cerokote?

2. hq357

hq357 New Member

I guess cerakote has little itty bitty bits of ceramic in it that makes the paint alot stronger than duracoat im not sure how much it would cost i want to get my glock 19 cerakoted but i dont know too much about painting layers coats ect so ill go to a shop and get it done

3. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

I have looked into cerakote, durakote,gunkote,norrells moly resin, and a few othere. Cerakote seems to be one of the tougher coatings. Cerakote is a very thin strong coat with some lubricative properties. In my opinion cerakote SOUNDS best toI me i have non personally held all of them. None of them however will be worth anything if the prep work is not done to perfection. All coatings are good coatings if applied correct. Were you going to do it yourself or have someone do it for you?

4. PIRATECAPTAIN

PIRATECAPTAIN New Member

Found a shop here in Gilbert Arizona that will cerokote the barrel and upper and lower on my AR for $160 I think it is worth it to have the pros do it.

5. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

Yes I agree. After buying all the things to do it yourself you would be nearing that price anyways and your first time it probobly would not be as good as the pros. 160 is a reasonable price and from what I have heard and read cerakote is a great and tough coating.

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Post some before and after pictures.

7. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

What color were you thinking?

8. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I know everybody sings better after a few beers..

9. PIRATECAPTAIN

PIRATECAPTAIN New Member

I will have the AR done in about two weeks. I will post pics then and then I will post some after cerakote is done. Going with the snipper gray with foliage green magpul furniture. Should look bad ***!

10. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

Yea been thinking about coating one of mine myself.

11. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Chuckle. :)

12. fsdwes

fsdwes New Member

Here's a few pictures of some cerakoting I've done

image-2149990424.jpg

image-3684953245.jpg

image-1341824097.jpg

image-3571484817.jpg

image-4117261789.jpg

It's an awesome product. I've done duracoat also and I like the cerakote MUCH better

The prep work is basically the same, and it's a little more pricy and requires an oven to cure, but I like the results much better

Also I've painted barrels, and used micro slick on my glock barrel and it works great!

It cleans up very nice too

13. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

Those look great. Ive looked into doing a few on my own but I dont have a blasting cabinate so when I get one I might try to do one myself. On the last two pictures did you just tape off the raised areas on the hand guard?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  14. fsdwes

fsdwes New Member

Thanks! And blasting cabinets arnt too much, it's the compressor that might set you back

And those are the magpul rubber ladders

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I was recently quoted $120.00 to have my 1911 Cerakoted. The smith recommended it for a carry gun because of durability.

16. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

Oh well I have an air compressor already will any air compressor work?

What is the color on the last 2 pictures?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  17. PIRATECAPTAIN

PIRATECAPTAIN New Member

Taking my Glock G30 in tomorrow to have the slide cerakote in snipper gray. Gonna be bad ***! $70 will post pics after it comes back.

18. fsdwes

fsdwes New Member

For the paint you don't need a big one even a little 3 gallon will work, but I have right now a 30gallon for the sandblasting and it works great

And one is burnt bronze and the other is magpul fde

19. fsdwes

fsdwes New Member

If your ever in orange CA I usually do slides for 30$!

20. PIRATECAPTAIN

PIRATECAPTAIN New Member

Sweet that is cheap I will keep you in mind! What do you charge for an AR barrel and upper and lower?