What do you guys do with spent steel cased ammo?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by texaswoodworker, Apr 1, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I was out in the shop today, and started messing around with some spent 7.62x54R cases I had. I hate to waste stuff, and since you can't reload steel cased ammo, I had to find something to do with it.

Here is what I came up with.

The wood is Cocobolo, the pen tip is silver plated, and it uses a cross style refill. This sucker was tough to get just right, and I had to deal with several problems along the way, but I finally got it right. I would like to put a clip ( the pen kind, not the kind you load mags with :D) on it, but haven't figured out the best way to do that yet.
    Non-rimmed cases may work better, but my hands are big enough that I don't really hit the rim, and I don't notice it when I use it. I may try to sell a few for ammo money. :D

So, what do you guys think? Also, if you do anything with your old steel cases, feel free to post it here.

(pics in next post)

2. texaswoodworker

pics!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

My son has made cartidge pens before, never out of steel cases though. Lets see the pics!

4. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Holy moley! Nice man! I want one!!!

5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

6. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

So are you mass producing for us, or just putting a couple on eBay.

I would love to bid on one ..

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I think every member of GOFFA needs one free.....or the council at least does;)

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

8. texaswoodworker

Sweet, what caliber doe he use?

Thank you.:)

I can make ya'll one if your really interested. I have a TON of the cartridges, and a pretty good variety of woods. (you can pic a specific wood, or just pick a color and I can pick one out for you) I have tried ebay before on a few things, but barely got any views and never sold anything.
    I have not picked a price for them yet, but since they take a while to make, it will probably be between $12 and $20 each.
    How about $15? Does that sound good, or is it too high, or too low?

I'll post some of the woods I have later.

9. texaswoodworker

lol, maybe not for free, but we can work out something. ;) We'll talk about it during the conference.

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ight then. Pm me the date y'all have come up w man

11. texaswoodworker

still trying to figure that out. I'll pm you when we do.

12. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Does this count? I make these crosshair sights. The tube(or cylinder) is made from a .223 steel case

Attached Files:

13. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

That sounds good to me! Just let me know...I like the ones in the pic!

14. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

If they write as good as they look i'd pay $15 in an instant, nice work man.

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ight...or txt me

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

My son has done them with .30/06 cases. He uses antler instead of wood, but I think he has done some wood ones too. He has done turned wood pens as well. I think you can use pretty much any cartridge you want. Oh, he uses Barnes solid copper bullets as the nib, turns them on the lathe to accommodate the pen and crimps them in place on the RCBS.

He sells them for upwards of $40-$50 each.

17. texaswoodworker

That thing's sweet!!! Do you actually use them for gun sights? How do they shoot?

That one is for sale if you want it.

They write very smoothly. Let me know let you want.

lol, I've been thinking of doing them like that, but I don't have the tools to drill through the exact center of the bullet yet. I hopefully will soon. I have used antler though. It is hard to work with, but very rewarding. :D
    The price seems fair too, but since the market for pens around here is not too big, I have to keep the prices low. I still make a decent profit, and I have fun making them, so I'm happy.

Ok guys, I'll post some pics of the wood I have, and if anyone else wants some, I will gladly make one for you.

18. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

That's pretty cool! You didn't say Rifle or Handgun, I just throw the spent steel cased .40S&W and .45ACP in the metal bin here at the house, then take all the metal, cans and everything to the scrapyard. Make some money back for more ammo and gas.

19. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

My son bought a tailstock drill chuck for his JET mini lathe. That drills the bullets just fine.

Antler is tough to turn, you have to keep your tools very sharp and they get dull quickly. Personally I don't like the burned hair smell it makes.

20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Oh, and to answer your original question I don't use steel cased ammo at all. If I did it would get thrown into the recycle bin and I would get paid for it. $200 a ton last time I brought a load in. I do the same with the worn out brass. Last time it was around $3.00 a pound I think.