What do you get when you...

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Wambli, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Give your knife maker one of these ugly worthless things,
    [​IMG]

and you tell him to make you a big honking camp knife that you can actually use. I said I want it rustic and to leave the USMC stamp on it.

11"x1/4+" blade (16" total) with a wicked sharp edge. Never though a knife this size would sharpen this nice considering the angle of the grind!
    [​IMG]
    I asked him not to polish all the way and leave some "character" on the blade. The USMC stamp had to stay.
    [​IMG]
    He threw in the filework on the spine :mrgreen:
    [​IMG]

Oh and before someone starts on the "piece of history" stuff, there are five gadzillion copies of these out there and they are NOT that much money without a sheath or very collectible for that matter. It was worth more as a nice piece of 1/4"+ forged steel to me than as a REALLY dull cheaply made military machete. I'm glad to have a knifemaker that will go along with any project I ask him to takeon...

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Very cool Wambli, very cool! :cool:

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Hot damn that is sexy as all hell! :eek: Kudos sir! Ku ... dos!!! ;)

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Very nice and very well done. It's a great knife.

5. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I am an aspiring knife maker and can appreciate the craftsmanship. Nice stuff.

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

You know seeing that transformation has given me an idea. How does your knife maker feel about working with shovels? ;)

7. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Thanks gentlemen! I knew you guys would appreciate this knife. Bruce Gillespie is not just a talented knifemaker but he really listens when I discuss a project with him and he delivers exactly (actually better) than what you ask for. He gives you advice but won't try to talk you out of something and he's always ready to take on the next project. I'm very happy I found him!

8. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

That looks great. He did a great job on it.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Damn!! Major props to your knife guy. That looks like a beast of a blade now!

Major Jealousy!

JD

10. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Thanks! It really is a beast of a blade. I think this is now my official Zombieland knife ;)

I took it outside to test it and I took a swing at a maple sappling (about 1 1/2" thick trunk) and it cleanly hacked through it in one shot! If I ever need to build a quick shelter in the good ol' outdoors this will make short work of it.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Very nice!
    Be careful though; you could put an eye out with that thing. :D

12. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Thanks, I promise not to run with it ;)

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Killer blade, Wambli. How did he handle re-heat treating?

14. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Thanks! That is a good question that I did not ask. Next time I speak with him I will.

15. willshoum

willshoum New Member

For what its worth........

What a waste, you should have paid the knife maker to just make you a knife and have him add the logo.....If this was a replica it ain't worth squat. You can't turn chicken chit into chicken soup. Unless you are Japaneese....:

16. Wambli

Wambli New Member

I'm mildly amused and somewhat curious of your response. How is turning a good piece of 1/4+" thick forged high carbon steel from an ugly duckling piece of surplus military gear to a good functional blade anything lilke what you described.

I asked him to leave the logo in place because I did not want any more metal removed than nessesary. Not to make any kind of "replica". So I'm not sure I get what you are saying...

17. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Amused.........

I was amazed at the photo, it reminded me of a movie which starred Steve Mc queen, Fess Parker, Bobby Darin etc.....1962 Hell is for heroes. Looks like the same knife Mcqueen used to hack up the enemy. Damm good movie!!!!!!:)

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Will, the original blade was in terrible condition. I understand your concerns about "sporterizing" the Bolo, but it was not a collectible piece.

I think Wambli did a great job resurrecting an old war horse.

I have boxes and boxes of old military blades laying around, and some of them could see the light of day again if they were turned into useful blades again.

In this case, I support my brother Wambli and now I want one exactly like his.

19. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

That is too cool! He did an awesome job.

20. freefall

freefall New Member

I think it's nicely done. Turned something you'd never use into something to be proud of. I too am curious about the heat-treat situation. But well played Wamblii, well played.