What do you feed your dog?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cpttango30, Aug 1, 2009.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The wife heard about this new dog food that is more natural and has more meat and less grain in it. It is called Wellness one of her co-workers has to feed her dog the Core dog food that doesn't have any grain in it at all.

We currently feed our goggie Hills Lamb and Rice. But the wife wants to try something else. 30# of this stuff runs $50+ that is a little stiff but not much more than hill in a 40# bag for $50.

2. Samples.32

Samples.32 New Member

We feed our two dogs specially formulated dog foods for their specific breed. It keeps them looking really healthy. It's called Eukanuba and it costs 54 dollars for a 36 pound bag.

3. fapprez

fapprez New Member

We normally feed our dog Ol' Roy or Gravy Train.

4. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I have been buying Eukanuba for a while now, its $36 for a 40lb bag. I had been getting Wysong which is really good food but expensive and one of my dogs seemed to be allergic to it and wouldn't stop itching so did away with that. It was kinda expensive anyway @ $47 for a 32lb box.

Its kinda scary what some manufacturers put in pet food, it can be anything from ground up whole animals to euthanized animals, ( you actually get the chemicals they put them down with in your food) by products, ect ect . Its actually really gross. Someone told me about this a couple years ago and I looked it up. I had gotten lazy and stopped going to the pet store for food and was getting what I thought was a good ones at the grocery store, man was I surprised.

5. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

Purina large dog chow. Also a milk bone at noon:D:D:D:D

6. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Hormel chili (no beans...makes 'em too gassy)

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

We started feeding our German the Adult Dog formula Royal Canin, because that is what the breeder recommended. It was a little more pricey than most dog foods, but it seemed to agree well with his tummy.

After our 6th or 7th bag I went to buy more at the local feed store and they had stopped carrying it. Don't know why, personal reasons, price reasons, pissed off at the distributor, whatever, but they had a different brand that had all the same stuff, but it was a no label brand.

The name escapes me at the moment, but it's about time to buy some more, so I will get it for you. It's all organic, no hormones or crap, and it's breed specific, so it's good for the dog's digestive system. Runs about $38 to $40 for a 50# bag. The dog loves it. I am pretty sure he would eat the whole bag in one sitting if we let him....

JD

8. opaww

opaww New Member

I am afraid I ate my dog so he don't get food he was food.

9. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Science Diet for small dogs, soft and dry for both, and a little people food mixed in occasionally. Milk bones if they have been good boys.

10. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

people

11. user4

user4 New Member

I feed our dog Ol Roy in the red bag. Honestly, he is healthy and strong, but still an *******. I need a shock collar that can induce cardiac arrest.

12. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I've got quite a few dogs (around 10)... I've got two in the city, a mastiff who has to eat special food because he's got weird allergies and health issues (he's a beautiful, award winning dog, but a pain in the ass) and a black labrador who gets Eukanuba as well as some real food a few times a week.

The rest of the dogs live at the ranch, they've never been on a leash, they eat whatever cheap stuff we can find at the same feedstore where we buy stuff for our horses. They've never been ill, and a couple are well over 15 years old. They are tough as nails, all mix-breed mongrels.

13. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Damn, you beat me to it. I was going to say dead hookers.

14. trautert

trautert New Member

The old lab-shepherd mix I buried the morning of the 4th of July lived for 15 years on whatever was on sale at the feed store.

He was allergic to not eating.

Tom

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You might want to look at the bag of Ole Roy. It is like deepfried big macs for dogs. That is like the worst stuff you can feed a dog. But if it works and your dog is healthy go for it.

I had thought about the Royal Canin.

That thing I am trying to stop is my cats keep eating the darn dogs food.

They get the best stuff on the best stuff out there. Our one cat had bladder stones. SO he had to go on a special hills Rx diet low mag and phos diet. Well if one does they all do. So we mix the hills stuff and some Purnia Pro plan urinary formula.

16. markerdown

markerdown New Member

Proplan maintenance during the off season and ProPlan Performance formula during bird season. But then again, my dogs are very active and hunters. Like athletes, they need the right fuel.................markerdown

17. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

Purina One is really good stuff. A 40 lb bag costs about $30.

If money is tight, they eat Ol' Roy, but I only get the brown bag "High Performance". The first ingredient is meat and bone meal instead of yellow corn meal like all of the other Ol' Roys.

18. Cnynrat

Cnynrat New Member

We feed ours a mix of Nature's Variety kibble and Nature's Variety frozen raw chicken. Dog Food Analysis is a good source of analysis and reviews of a wide variety of dog food. Generally speaking, you want to minimize the amount of any type of grain in the food - it's not something found in their natural diet.

19. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Purina kibble with a dash of fish oil once daily. Then once a week a raw egg on thier kibble. Fish oil daily and a raw egg once a week seems to be real good for their skin and caot.

20. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

You both beat me to it. I was gonna say Zombie scraps.