What do you do with your single stage presses, post upgrade?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Shopfox, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

I missed this thread the first go round! My thoughts? For the price of the press, you made out like a bandit, and it's worth what you paid, even if used occasionally. That is at least a $150 press brand new, just by itself.

At some point in the near future, I will be adding a turret type press to my reloading bench, mainly for larger volumes of pistol cartridges, and 223 fro the AR's. But the other three single-stage presses will still be utilized for other loads and for other purposes. One of my smaller "C" presses, I plan making it for simply priming operations.

alsaqr likes this.
  2. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

I've thought about getting a turret press. But I believe I can get a very good quality single stage press for the price of a mediocre turret press. With the quick change die bushings (such as Hornady Lock N' Load) changing from one die to another isn't that big of a deal.
    I think I would rather have a good quality single stage press even if there was a bit more work or steps to use it. Besides, my reloading will be for my own fun and hobby for my leisure. If production was the goal I would get a progressive press. I still have my old Lee press for de-capping. Still not sure if, when and what I will get should I decide to take the plunge.

3. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

I honestly don't think the press choice is going to effect your end accuracy. For myself, I'm never going to wear out my Lee Turret. I just don't do that kind of volume shooting either.

Where the Turret really makes sense for me is "one-piece flow". There's an expression, "nothing good happens to inventory." After priming, I produce one complete round at a time. Weigh powder, pour it, place bullet, seat it, crimp it, and repeat.

Practically speaking, I rotate my die holder back and forth betweeen the seating die and crimping die for rifle cartridges.

The advantage here is you don't have an inventory of 50-100 brass filled with powder waiting for bullets (or waiting to be knocked over/spilled), or an inventory of seated bullets waiting for crimping.

It makes it easier to walk away - just finish the 1 round you're working on, and shut her down for the night.

Missouribound and Dallas53 like this.
  4. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

I currently use a Redding BOSS single stage press, along with Redding dies, because I like the way those dies are made. I don't load a lot of rifle rounds to warrant a progressive press that costs a ton of money, but I can see, and understand, where those who shoot a lot of handgun rounds, as in speed steel events, feel they like to load a bunch of rounds at one sitting would prefer something like a Dillon system to get it done within short order.

5. SGWGunsmith

As far as an electronic scale, I use the version from Hornady. It serves me well enough.

Shopfox and Dallas53 like this.
  6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

If my progressive is already set up for the caliber I want to work with it is fine. But if I need to load something different I do not change it for less than 200 rounds. If I want to load 100 rounds of 44 mag I use the Rock Chucker, or maybe even the Lee Hand Press. That is fun to sit in front of the tv and process brass with the hand press.

oO_Rogue_Oo and Dallas53 like this.
  7. SGWGunsmith

Well, that makes a hell of a lot of sense. There are many of the calibers that I shoot that don't need to be "groupies" that print within 2-inches at 50 feet. If those rounds print within 2 X 2 center of mass, at 50 feet, during a scaryass encounter, I will be able to get back home to lunch for tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwhich, and that will make my day!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    jigs-n-fixture, Shopfox and Dallas53 like this.
  8. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

I honestly didn't look at it that way and it makes perfect sense. Good point.

Shopfox and Dallas53 like this.
  9. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Except for re-sizing magnum cases using a Rockchucker press, my reloading is accomplished using RCBS Jr. presses.

Dallas53 likes this.