What do you do when you get a new scope?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by icallshotgun88, Oct 23, 2013.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

What do you get when you get a new scope?

I was told that you want to set it at its "mechanical zero".
    Which I guess is basically counting how many clicks it takes to get all the way to the top of the elevation and then counting how many clocks it takes to get all the way to the bottom and basically making sure it's right in the middle.

And then doing the same thing for the windage adjustments..

Is this really necessary? Or just take it out and zero it at whatever yardage you want it zeroed at.....?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I bore sight it and then go zero it on the range.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you set it at it's mechanical zero first and know the ammount of travel it has before you begin your zeroing, you will know how much remaining adjustment you have left in the scope. Not all mounts or predrilled holes are exactly centered and true. So zeroing adjustments amy eat up some of your total adjument that is remaining.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

In other words aside from knowing the Scopes limits, complete waste of time.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Knowing where your at on the dials is a good thing.

What I do with a scope that's going to be used for longer range is to test whether it tracks true or not. I use a 40-80 inch target and adjust 2 moa each group mean poi should be the same distance each time. When it opens or closes I know where that scope stops being reliable.

I make sure the rings are smooth the mating surfaces free of dirt oil grease and everything torqued correctly using rocksett not blue locktite for fasteners.

I like using adm qd mounts because they let me change scopes from gun to gun and zero. Because I record my zeros and where mechanical zero is and the adm doesn't shift poi like a larue does (I hate larue mounts) I can freely swap optics from railed gun to railed gun.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

This makes much more sense.
    No disrespect doc

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Mount it on my shotgun. Then I try to break it by sighting it in with slugs. If it can take a few sessions on the shotgun and not drift it's a good scope.

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Anymore I throw them on the floor for a quick test run , if the reticle stays square we move on to step 2 by putting it on the mounts . Thats about how my luck has went with the last few scopes some cheaper some alot better quality and still a problem . Hopefully this one will stay zeroed if not Its going in the trash and I will call it a lesson learned .

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I know that feeling. The only scope that I haven't broken is the one I bought recently for $10. Figures an antique Japanese scope would be the best one.

10. SSGN_Doc

None taken. I was not as eloquent in the full explaination as JM.:D

11. racer_x

racer_x New Member

I like purehavoc's idea. Ive been having issues latly too. lol some my fault

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I dont know what the deal is lately but with this being the 3rd one Im about 1/3 of the cost just shipping it back and forth to them . Next time Im asking for a upgrade or my money back . Hell, I have had much cheaper scopes last 15 years . This one wont seem to make it past 150 rds with 7.62X39 . Its not that hard hitting I have upped the buffer to a H2 to eliminate some of the recoil . I have a very good compensator on it that seems to work well . Maybe its time to just go back to Irons and be done on this one :(

13. SSGN_Doc

What kind of scope?

14. icallshotgun88

Yeah...
    Which scopes are y'all buying that are breaking down?
    I'm asking because I'm looking for a scope that will last a lifetime...literally
    I want an extremely durable and reliable scope...and I was hoping to do so for under $700

Is that possible?
    Or are scopes that reliable much more expensive?
    Or do they just simply not exist...?

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

I've had nothing but issues with leupold optics. I've had three of their very top end models go totally off the rails in less than two years of ownership. Lens delamination was the issue with two where flakes of coating turned to pepper sized granuals inside the housings. The other just stopped holding zero under recoil and transportation. The one I was really disapointed with was the mk4 3.5-15 which delaminated from use on a remington 700 in 308. The gun it was intended to reside.

Cheapest most rugged I would say is trijicon accupoint. On the very lowest end nikon african monarchs are pretty stellar mine rides on my 458 socom and 45-70 both of which are not gentle in recoil. Vortex is a great choice due to their no bs warranty and fast turn around if you have issues. If you just want a literally bomb proof shock proof optic as close to that standard as is mechanically possible that holds zero even after getting hit by sniper fire nightforce is the one.

Other brands like zeiss schmittbender etc I don't care to spend the money to test them out. I've found several brands that work extremely well.

With optics it tends to be true you get what you pay for with only a few exceptions.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

another thing that is important, regardless of the scope being used is to properly mount the scope. when mounting the scope, be careful to torque the rings properly so as not to distort the scope tube. distorting the scope tube will make it hard to sight in the scope as the reticle can be shfted within the tube. a torque screwdriver is the best tool to use. allows the rings to be tight enough for the scope to not shift, but notso tight as to distort the scope.

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have been through one of the 3X nikon P223s , got my money back and went with a Brunton 1-4 Im now on the second one of these . I should have just bought another Nikon Monarch Africa in 1-4 and been done . I just thought I would save myself about $100 and I have spent more than half of that shipping all these turds back .
    Its my own fault for being a tight ass and not going the buy once , cry once program .
    I do torque them to the specs required with a inch# torque wrench so I know Im not over doing it, Hell the last one I sent back didnt even have a mark on it . It looked like it was new out of the box . I had less than 100 rounds down the pipe with it on

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  18. icallshotgun88

I really like the Leupold lineup as I found one that fits my needs, but reliability is really important to me..

So, has anyone else had any durability or reliability issues with Leopold? If so, what? And how is there warranty and customer service?

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i know in the past when i used Leopold scopes they were top notch. doesn't mean that their quality hasn't slipped in the past years. it's possible.

and there are other good brands of scopes other than Leopold, like the Nikons. i have had very good luck out of mine.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

the issue with leupold is they are extremely pricey for what they are. high end you could get something from nightforce for less. low end you can get a better optic from nikon for less. middle ground you could get a accupoint from trijicon.