What do you consider the most underrated handgun design?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by trigger643, Jun 26, 2014.

1. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

What do you consider the most underrated handgun design? And why? I'm not talking about the popular jobbers. I'm referring to the unsung, unfairly maligned, underpriced, super performing pieces.

Certainly for every P226, G17, M9, M1911, Luger, USP, HighPower, CZ75 and M29 there could quite possibly be one out there just as good, if not better, that didn't quite make it to the forefront of popular esteem for any number of reasons.

I've got some picks, but I would like to see what others may harbor as a favorite.

extra points for pictures of these misunderstood gems, double points if you own them...

2. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

You're the new kid in town why don't you lead off?

3. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I personally think the Colt DA revolvers never got their just due.........

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

The Hi-Point.....................

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I second the Hi Point. It gets no respect. But I would rather own one than anything that says Taurus on it.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Dan Wesson revolvers.

Marlin Camp Rifles in 9mm and 45 acp.

Hi-Point pistols.

MetroArms pistols.

STI pistols.

Rock Island Armory pistols.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The JA-22 is highly underrated. Jimenez is their worst enemy. Instead of using quality springs that can be cut to the same length and work the same every time, they use automotive quality springs that have to be cut by trial and error. Most people don't have the inclination or patience to cut springs by trial and error.

There is a huge market for a gun like the JA 22. There are literally millions of mouse guns out there. Many people would like to have a mouse size 22 to practice with. Jimenez could raise the price of their guns by $10 to use scale quality recoil and firing pin springs. By doing so they eliminate come backs by 90%.

Jimenez guns have a wonderful design. They are striker fired and very easy to modify. If a high quality manufacturer used the same design with high quality materials the JA 22 would retail for around $400. The current design will fire thousands of rounds without issue.

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Undervalued and underpriced? One stands out, the Russian Mosin 91/30. Even now, after the recent market adjustment, it is an amazing buy. I don't think there has been, or will be again, another fully operational 80-year old historically significant battle rifle in such astronomical quantities that you could buy it for a song.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Folks, question WAS handgun design.

I'll toss my hat in the ring- Dan Wesson revolvers. Have had a 15-2 since the late 1970s. Built like a tank. Polish and blue that reminds me of the old Colts. INCREDIBLY accurate- and generally half the price of a Colt Python. REALLY sweet triggers.

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing, with regard to this being about handguns. I like the DW revolvers. In Autos the HK VP70 was quite innovative with its polymer frame (before Glock), 20 rd mag, gas system, ability to mount a stock, and operate in full auto. It was ahead of its time as a possible light PDW.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

no question, cz75. the worst cz is lightyears ahead of the best glock in reliability ruggedness and accuracy. the cz75 fixed all the flaws of the browning hi-power and easily surpasses that design as well.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Star (above colt)
    Astra (above colt)
    Sccy
    Hi-Point
    Jimenez
    Phoenix
    Raven

All based on personal experience(s) regardless frantic Internet cheap talk bs.

13. isaac007

isaac007 New Member

I think the sccy

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have Astra A100 in 9mm. awesome pistol. heavy, but reliable. accuracy is decent, but not great. holds 17 rounds in the OEM magazine. several times i have almost sold or traded it, but just can't bring myself to let it go.

15. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

It was too late/early/raining/whatever :)

Currently, the Tanfoglio 9mm/40. An Italian CZ for <$300.

16. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

You forgot Jennings.....I don't think Hi-Point belongs on that list..

17. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I always like the old High Standard .22 mag derringers,, the one I used to own actually shot pretty well and was a nice fishing pistol,, traded it when I was getting my first .44 mag Ruger,, now they are difficult to find at a reasonable price around here anyways.

18. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Smith and Wesson model 41.

It is a extremely accurate and fine shooting .22LR match grade pistol. However it is VERY picky on ammo (only likes the expensive stuff) and requires detailed stripping and cleaning to maintain it's proper operation. They were designed right around WWII.

I wish I owned one but they rarely come up for sale used and new ones are $1200.

19. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

I'll toss one in... CZ52. Nice system they came up with to tame the recoil and very accurate.

20. txpossum

txpossum New Member

IMO, one of the most underrated firearms is the Interarms Firestar. A .40 Firestar has been by far my more frequent carry for almost 20 years. I bought it as a possible replacement for the Colt Officer's ACP that was my carry weapon at the time, and it far exceeded my expectations. I have found the Firestars to be utterly reliable and surprisingly accurate.

Although I have other handguns that would be just fine for cc, I've retained the Firestar as my usual carry weapon. Why change something that works?