What do you clean the outside of your gun with? Screw sealant?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Mr. Wick, Sep 11, 2020.

1. BullMoose429

BullMoose429 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah- the spray works well at removing any grime or grit, and the little dropper bottle is a great lube and a light film helps protect blueing. The spray is really good at removing and rust or carbon buildup.

2. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

A tampon can pack a gunshot wound.

3. BullMoose429

I heard on the Howard Stern Show that every body guard and security guy carries them for that purpose.

rn-cindy and Rifling82 like this.
  4. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Did you know this is a gun forum? What to wipe your gun with is life & death. Covid is nothing.

Wick-- just lightly oiled rag on metal, wet rag on wood. No alcohol or gunscrubber. If wood is any good, furniture conditioner.

W.T. Sherman, Rifling82 and Mr. Wick like this.
  5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I clean the outside off by wiping it down with good old Hoppes #9 on a patch. Then wipe it all off. And usually use a light coat of of Break Free Lubricant (Shaken Up! Since it separates if it sets for a period of time!) And then wipe all the excess lubricant off just leaving a film on the gun. And the same technique with the Bores on all my guns.:)
    I have used this method for years without any issues!;)

PANDEMIC and BullMoose429 like this.
  6. Capacitor

Capacitor Well-Known Member

Does anyone use Remoil?

locutus, PANDEMIC and austin92 like this.
  7. BullMoose429

I find remoil to be sub par

8. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

break free clp since 1980 or so with no problems
    hoppes number 9 on the bore. BEWARE of bore solvents with ammonia in them, if left for a while it will pitt your bore
    also,NEVER use a stainless steel bore brush, Use the bronze or fibre brushes. Ive been using bronze brush forever
    cotton patches and brass or plastic jag.
    i
    finish with a patch down the bore with break free clp
    in a pinch, motor oil will work, so would vaseline
    never use weird chemicals

9. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a cut up piece of an old t-shirt that’s lightly oiled In my gun safe, every once in a while I’ll open the safe take them out of their gun socks and wipe them down
    As for cleaning them I’ll just take a rag with Hoppes 9 and that usually works

PANDEMIC and BullMoose429 like this.
  10. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Rag with CLP to wipe down all guns before they are put away. That’s how I finish every range session before gun goes in the bag too.

11. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Break Free CLP and rag, as so many other have already suggested. That's been working just fine for many moons now. If it's not broke, then don't fix it.

PANDEMIC and Rifling82 like this.
  12. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

speaking of that.....................I remember seeing a cartoon in a "mens' magazine" when I was young, can't remember which one, but it showed a clerk behind the counter who got shot and he reaches for a box of KOTEX

7point62 and BullMoose429 like this.
  13. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a trauma kit. And there are a couple of Tampons in it. But rolled gauze would be my first choice. There are often exit wounds, too.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    BullMoose429 likes this.
  14. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    BullMoose429 and 7point62 like this.
  15. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

I use it as a final pass after the bore is cleaned and on the outside of the gun for rust protection.

PANDEMIC and 7point62 like this.
  16. G_Whitcomb

G_Whitcomb Active Member

I run one down the barrel. Great for shotguns.
    Supers for the 12 ga
    Regulars for the 20
    And lights for the 410

W.T. Sherman likes this.
  17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I love Rem-Oil. I use a lot of it.

Whatever you do, don't use grease on your gun. It isn't needed and it's hell to get it all off.

18. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

Thanks for all the great replies.

BullMoose429 likes this.
  19. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

I do because it comes in aerosol cans and wipes, for convenience. Nothing is wrong with the stuff, just be aware it's low viscosity (needs to be reapplied sooner) and probably not a great rust protectant.

PANDEMIC likes this.
  20. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

I have 2 kinds of them. The wipes and the spray, not the aresol one, its the little plastic spray bottle kind. I use the wipes for the outside of the gun on anything that's metal & steel after cleaning/oiling. The spray is just for light surface rust should it ever show up. Combine that with 0000 steel wool and a clean dry rag and it removes rust in seconds as long as its light.

Aside from that, I just use a clean dry rag and wipe the gun down for a min or 2 from time to time if it has not seen the outside in a while. A sold few min if the gun has been taken out and fired, handled more or exposed to the environment and its elements. But normally if I wipe down a gun for a min or 2 or a solid few min. I'll just wipe them all down real quick since it doesn't take very long. If I just need to wipe some spots down (as in oily fingerprints or a little sweat) on a gun for a few seconds, I just use my shirt that I'm wearing so as long as its a clean shirt and its dry.

For optics, I use a special cloth. And that one, I normally just wipe the lenses every 3rd time or so I take the rifle out. If the weapon's been fired, then I'll wipe the optic lenses before the weapon gets put away.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020