What do you clean the outside of your gun with? Screw sealant?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Mr. Wick, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

Sorry for posting so much but you guys and gals have helped me so much in such a short period of time. I've got two last questions.

What do you clean the outside of your gun with. Rag and water?

I just put on my second HK compensator. It seems the last one broke because my wife only tightened the bolts about half way. My fault. Someone mentioned a sealant you can put on the screws to help hold it. Anyone know anything about that?

2. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

do you mean LOC-TITE, yeah that will definitely "lock" the screw in place FOREVER.

however, using set screws, even with LOC-TITE, to lock down a muzzle attachment on the barrel, IS SERIOUSLY A BAD WAY TO GO. the best way to attach a muzzle attachment is by screwing it on, ie. threading the end of the muzzle.
    LOC-TITE although fine for some application like scope mount or other parts that wont to subject to heat and vibration isn't the preferred method for what youare wanting it for.........especially on very short screws. heat and vibration will eventual fail on you, maybe not in the next few shooting session, but eventually. and when you least expect it

as cleaning the exterior of my gun, nothing. I'm not rolling in the mud with it, so it just wiped down with a rag and CLP

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020

3. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

Thanks man.

towboater likes this.
  4. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Depends.
    If its wet usually spray and wipe with wd40 then either clp or Bushmaster oil or if long term storing Hoppes gun grease.

Blue loctite on screws that need locking. Never red.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Find out what the torque requirement is and get a torquing screw driver. Otherwise as Ghost said, Blue Loctite. I still wonder why some idiot in marketing has not figured out it should be in a blue container instead of red.

6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Blue loctite is removable, red is permanent. Both can be softened with heat.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Loc-Tite comes in different colors, with different specs. Some is like herpes (forever) some for REAL high temps, some just to make a screw feel at home. Best for MOST screws? Clean the screw threads with CLP or similar, wipe dry, insert, tighten to the stated spec torque, check it a day later.

Cleaning the outside? Well, I usually hose off blood and brains with clean water, wipe dry, wipe down with CLP.

8. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Everytime I'm done with freshly cleaning/oiling a gun. The last thing I do before putting it away is use rem oil. Its those baby wipes like the kind used on computer keyboards. They're like I think $6 or $7 for 60 wipes. And they're saturated in oil. So I use an extremely small amount and I still have the same container and I've been using it for almost 3 years now. Thats how much oil those rem oil wipes have, and thats why I use a very small amount. I used a whole wipe once on 1 gun when I first bought the wipes. The gun was like covered in oil, like you can see the glare in the sun lol. So.. that's how I learned those rem oil wipes are just soaked in oil and I need to use just a very very small amount.

Anyways, I just use a pair of scissors, cut about a fingernail-thumbnail size of the wipe and use that to wipe down anything metal or steel on the exterior of the gun.

After that, use a dry rag and wipe it down. This will leave a light of coat of oil to prevent light surface rust.

Other then that, I just use a separate dry clean rag (just a dry clean rag, nothing else) and take a min or 2 and do a general wipe down of the entire gun (front and back) from time to time. (Again this is just for the exterior of the gun) For optics I use a different cloth that's meant for optic lenses.

I usually do a detailed wipe down (this just means you wipe it down for a solid few min) if the gun has been fired, has excessive fingerprints from oily hands or exposed to sweat or humidity during the summertime or its got a light sprinkle of rain water from hunting or just being outside or condensation in the wintertime (like if the gun is exposed from cold to warm or warm to cold and it fogs up) either wrap it in a towel or blanket and let it come down to room temperature at its own pace and then wipe it down before putting it away or just wipe it down right then and there really good and then put it away if your in a rush or something.

But if the gun has not been fired or taken out in a while, then again I just do a general wipe down from time to time. (Again, this just means I just wipe it down for a min or 2)

And that's it, I have my priorities and those are to take care of my guns before anything else. :p And I don't abuse my guns, do toruture tests on them or anything or expose them to extreme temperatures and environments. With ammo being hard to find right now and everything, I still shoot them from time to time but now lately I just pull one gun out at a time and hold it, inspect it, caress it and show it lots of love! :D.... then I put it away. :p And I check on my ammo boxes/cleaning kit as well and make sure everything is organized and good to go! :)

Also, don't clean/wipe down a gun with water, that's just a recipe for rust waiting to happen. I mean unless your putting it through mud, sand or something that extreme.

Well, I hoped this helped! :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    G66enigma likes this.
  9. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

I have simple, non scented, non chemical wipes. You are supposed to clean your butt with them. Can I use those? Sounds like I can.

10. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

NO!!! YOU CAN NOT USE BUTT WIPES!!!
    The intent is to remove the acidic oils of your finger prints, and leave a light coating of oil to prevent corrosion. Coated as as opposed to blued guns are a bit easier to deal with, but you still want that bit of oil.

Mr. Wick and PANDEMIC like this.
  11. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

I always try to avoid water. Though a little bit of moisture on a good microfiber rag can get minor surface crud off, ie a simple ugly spot on a slide.

Generally, though, I use something like Break Free CLP (the fluid, not the aerosol). It's a cleaner, lubricant and protectant. Perhaps not the best of any of the three of those, but it works reasonably well, it's not all that expensive, and it won't harm firearms. A drop or two onto a good microfiber rag, then wipe down the slide, easily-accessed frame and trigger guard areas. (If you have a lot of firearms and shoot frequently, it's available in 16oz squirt bottles.)

If doing a simple field strip and re-lube, again I generally use the CLP product. Remove the slide and barrel; put several drops of CLP on a rag and wipe down everything; Q-tip the rails; then reapply a drop of lube where needed; reassemble. Again, works well.

12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The only thing I use on guns any more is Breakfree CLP, I buy it in 16 0z. pump spray bottles. I shoot a lot and a bottle will last a year or more.

W.T. Sherman likes this.
  13. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

Damn....... Good thing I posted this. Thank you.

14. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

15. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

honestly you you guys are making it more complicated then it needs to be.......rag and gun oil to wipe down the outside of the gun. wipes, baby wipes, butt wipes......geeze, waiting on someone to come in with I use tampons

[​IMG]

16. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Well I wouldn't call it complicated, its actually really easy once you find what works best for you and you stick with it. Some people (including myself) just go down the longer road and we take care of our guns as much as we can and the best we can. And sometimes this may require extra steps to prevent rust, corrosion etc etc. But this way our firearms stay in top working condition at all times no matter what.

17. BullMoose429

BullMoose429 Well-Known Member

18. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Well-Known Member

No silly....tampons are for when you are trap shooting in the winter. The gun is hot when you finish your round, so when you set it in the rack, snow melts and runs down the barrel and re freezes before your next round.. can ice over the firing pin and cause all sorts of problems.. Plug your barrel with the tampon on your next wintertime trap shooting trip..and see what a great idea all the other guys think it is...you can thank me later...:D

19. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Huh, and all this time I've been using a condom.

20. Mr. Wick

Mr. Wick Active Member

Do you clean the actual outside of the firearm with this. I'll buy it now.