What do you bring to the table?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by CA357, Jul 12, 2011.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The Plan B thread got into what we can bring to the table, not just what we expect from others. I think everyone here brings arms and ammo as well as the basic survival supplies of life, so that's not what this is about. We'll take that stuff as a given.

So, in light of that, what do you bring to the dance? What are your weak areas?

Me, I'm still a pretty good carpenter. I'm a handy guy that can fix and figure out many repairs. I can also lay brick or stone. I'm levelheaded, have plain ol' common sense and can stay pretty calm in a storm. I'm organized and a good planner.

My weak areas: While I'm mechanical, I am at a loss with auto mechanics and electrical and electronics baffle me.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Able to raise and preserve food, basic electrical systems, including motors and generators, metal working (machining and basic blacksmithing) chemistry, beer, wine, and distilling, EMT level medical, carpentry, masonry, making cordage, textiles, trapping and tanning furs, and a great cook and a good dancer.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

What are your weak areas? That's the other part of the equation.

4. doctherock

doctherock New Member

My weak area is dealing with we are doomed attitudes. It brings the moral down and people are less productive.

I bring an extensive knowledge of auto and heavy equipment mechanic knowledge. I can repair and troubleshoot engine and electrical systems and repair both. I am good with a gun in tense situations I become an animal. I also have a medical background as a firefighter.

5. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

Basic medical knowledge, advanced nautical knowledge, a pretty huge amount of outdoors knowledge, decent amount of carpentry (nothing fancy), accuracy limited only by the gun and the ammo at any reasonable distance, unwavering discipline.

Bad things...I don't play well with others, get a little competitive sometimes, and often take unneeded risks.

6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I guess I should mention I have a knack for raising livestock as well.

7. russ

russ New Member

I'm a pretty fair mechanic, welder, fabricator. OK at carpentry, plumbing, and electrical. I have good problem solving skills, given enough time to think.

Weak areas, well I tend to get overwhelmed and freeze up if the problem is too big for me to wrap my head around. I'm also lazy and a procrastinator. But at least I'm impatient. Oh and I'm terribly out of shape. TMI? Probably... :D

Forgot to add I was an EMT for a while, so I guess I'd call that advanced first aid.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  8. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

I have first aid skills (former Red Cross instructor), decent knowledge of chemistry (have made penicillin, beer, soap, etc. ), can make fishing lures from scraps (aluminum cans, chicken bones and feathers), can operate all sorts of computer equipment (PDP-11, CP/M, Unix, Linux, AIX, MacOS, embedded RTOSs, etc.), can teach mathematics (calculus, trigonometry, statistics), scuba, rock climber. I enjoy camping and if I had more than 3 weeks a year in vacation, I'd spend a lot more time out there. I'm not an expert, but have no problems at all spending a week or two in the SW USA with a 40lb pack worth of stuff. I'm working on halving that 40lbs..

Weak area is definitely gasoline engines. I know the basics but have broken a lot more than I have fixed. Did I tell you about the time I rebuilt a Holley 4-barrel on my '77 Camaro and set the thing on fire?? I also do badly in the heat and need a lot of water.

9. NOVA

NOVA New Member

Dumpster diving resourceful scavenger - have an eye for useful things other people see as junk. Mechanically inclined. Built an expanding mono-pod for my shotgun using a shower curtain rod and camo-tape. Decent cook - can cook anything. Self proclaimed expert at moderating heated debates. Sense of humor. Can be a team follower or leader. React lightning fast in emergency situations. Green thumb. 13 and a half years US Navy - trained Pinkerton Securty officer (years ago) - can stand sentry duty. Can organize, clean and inventory and store weapons and ammo.

Weakness - I'm overweight - and flat-footed - so I'll go on patrols but don't ask me to run a mile! :D

10. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

Pretty much if it involves working with your hands and isn't art than I can do it relatively well. I have rebuilt more engines than I can remember and as such have gotten quite familiar with working on gasoline engines. I'm pretty good at wiring things together and figuring out how to put things together even if I am unfamiliar with them. Growing up poor taught me to be pretty self sufficient and many "poor man" skills (aka improvising). I know how to make simple steam engines though finding the materials would be difficult.

I know absolutely nothing about computer programming, not html or c+ or anything, can't do any of it. I don't know anything about medical treatment or medicine. I can't weld and I don't know anything about carpentry.

11. bkt

bkt New Member

Electrical (house), some electronics, tech-savvy (develop software for a living), plumbing, carpentry, welding (if it doesn't have to be pretty), masonry (see: welding), general physical labor. I'm pretty good at figuring things out.

12. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Carpentry, used to frame houses and such. General knowledge of mechanical and extensive knowledge of electronics. Radiation knowledge which might come in handy for an end of the world war. I can go without sleep if need be and still function, BUT once I am asleep, I stay asleep which would be a fault I guess. And I am not too shabby to look at either. HA!

Weakness would be that I am kind of a hot head....and hate losing....

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  13. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Week in the Knees

I have 2 weaknesses, the worst is that I have big hands and tend to break every thing that they are layed apon, most of the time. Damn I like my BEER come quitin time.......My second is I don't never say QUIT........:eek::D

14. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I am a brewer and can make a drinkable alcoholic beverage out of nearly anything that contains sugar. I can cook and build an improvised stove, I can build a smokehouse and can smoke meats, fish and foul, I have some carpentry skills, I was an electrician (both household and distribution), have knowledge and skills in air conditioning and heating systems, I have done some welding but am best at brazing and soldering with an acetylene torch, I have basic knowledge of electronics but can't fix a broken circuit board without the right parts and a schematic, I am an innovator and troubleshooter in that I can figure out a way to get something fixed or done with limited resources and time. I don't believe in the no win scenario.

Oh, Hell; I forgot......I can catch fish in just about any body of water.

My weaknesses are that I tend to rush my work and usually end up doing it twice or fixing it constantly instead of doing the job right once, even when given unlimited resources to draw upon (Government Training). I am reactionary and will "shoot from the hip" instead of doing some careful problem solving in a crisis.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  15. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Strengths: I'm situationally aware; I see things that are happening or about to happen, when most are blissfully unaware. I can (and have) gone from a dead sleep to go-mode in an instant. I am an excellent mediator and facilator of conversations. I can bottom line things easily. I'm an excellent problem solver; it's what I do best. I can be a leader, but don't need to be, as I can be an excellent follower as well (provided the plan makes sense). I can lift heavy $h1t. I'm a good wheelman. I'm a good cook. And I can drink what Dune brews. :p

Weaknesses: I suck when sleep deprived (but this can be improved with more exposure). I am not a mechanic (but it sounds as if we have many of those). I'm not much of a fisherman. I wear glasses (they could break or be lost) and I am partially deaf in one ear.

16. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Strengths: carpentry, mechanical, electrical, I stay cool, calm, and collective in stressful situations, I run well with minimal sleep, I'm very organized and pay attention to the smallest details, my breakfasts cannot be beaten, I make one hell of a brew, I'm an expert fly fisherman, I tie my own flies, and I would bring an up-beat attitude to everything.

Weaknesses: Sometimes I'm very impatient - especially when trying to teach someone something, I'm sure there are others but I've run out of patience...

17. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

PRO's; I am an Electrician, I am also very familiar and experienced with most other construction disciplines. I am able to plan complex projects and scenarios in my mind and see them through from imagination to completion but at the same time I am able to rapidly adapt. I fit in almost anywhere and make friends very quickly and am very good at picking out the bull$#!ter in a group. I can make things work, whether it be mechanical or social relationships, be it mine or between others. My frineds call me Cliff (ala: Cheers) because of my overwhelming wealth of what most would call "useless knowledge" but more often than not is quite useful.

CONS: I work myself to death, when I start something I CAN NOT stop until its done, often burning myself out physically and emotionally in the process. If I think you are wrong and what you are planning is excessively dangerous and inherantly stupid I will tell you and then anyone else who will listen and I will not involve myself, I don't care if you are the President of the USA. I will do WHATEVER it takes to protect my son and wife regardless of what rules or laws I break in doing so. and finally I TALK WAYYYYYY TOO MUCH !!! Ask anyone :)

18. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

Pros: I can build, cook, clean, sterilize, perform most medical tasks, hunt, tan hide and make clothes or footwear out of it, grow food, throw tomahawks, clean water, fix guns, till land, make things functional, use limited materials to accomplish goals/tasks, teach others, and take orders. I also worry about other people's safety before I worry about my own (not sure if that would be a pro or a con).

Cons: I need to feel a sense of pressure before I am motivated. I can be lazy about things if there is not an immediate need. I can easily overcome it but there are times I dont. Not sure if it is because I dont want to or if I am just being stupid about it.

19. NOVA

NOVA New Member

When food becomes scarce, calorie conservation dictates that we do only work that is necessary, so I'd say you are alright!

20. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

That may be good in that sense but I got kids to worry about, I dont want to conserve calories, I want to be killin and grillin!!
    I guess that is good enough motivation.