What do y'all think?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jersh243, Oct 31, 2013.

1. jersh243

jersh243 New Member

A friend of mine is selling a raven .25 auto, what do y'all think of it as a first handgun?

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

3. jersh243

jersh243 New Member

Why? I need reasons.

4. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Unpopular caliber. If you want a caliber that small, go .22, you will have many more guns to pick from, plus .22 ammo is more readily available and cheaper to buy.

5. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

If you get in sticky situation with a .25, try throwing the gun at your attacker. It will probably be more accurate and do more damage that way. It's a gut gun.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Agreed! Especially in that brand, blech!

Start with something that has a reliable safety, a full-sized grip, and the ability to empty a whole magazine without a stoppage.

Tell your friend to sell it to someone he does not like.

TBH, my sister had a .25 as her purse pistol for a long time; the last time I cleaned caramel out of the barrel, she agreed to try my Bersa Thunder .380. I miss that Bersa, but I am glad she has a better purse pistol.

The lil Bersa might be a interesting starter; it looks similar to the old James Bond PPK. It has a comfortable grip, though it isn't what I consider "full sized". The price is in the low $300's for the nickel finished model. Magazines are expensive, though.

My first was a .22LR similar to the Ruger Mark series.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  7. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Depends on what your budget is. The Raven should be worth about $50 or less. If budget allows, there are other good choices. Someone mentioned the Bersa. I own 3 of them and they are fantastic guns. Can't go wrong choosing one of those. If you want to stay little, but dependable, take a look at NAA mini revolvers in 22mag. Lot's of caliber snobs will laugh at them, but they are a serious little shooters. good luck

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The little .25 is often deadly at pocket pistol ranges. The low powered handgun bullets will not often shoot through a human. They do however enter the body cavity and tumble around spending their energy. They most often create fatal wounds.
    The Ravin is not a quality handgun. The reliability of these guns is "edgy" at best. :)

9. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Spend about $100 bucks more and get a high point

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Such a small handgun is not recommended for training or a first pistol.

(As an NRA instructor) I would suggest getting a larger frame .22LR and learn the basics.

Unlike TV, one does not pick up a gun and know everything about shooting automatically.

11. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Good advise. These small center fires are inaccurate and FTF is common. The ammunition for a .25 ACP is very expensive.:)

12. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Go with something in either .45 or 9mm. .25 is pretty useless.

13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

1- Raven guns are built to be cheap. They use cheap materials and construction and design are all cost cutting measures.
    2- you will get crummy sights, crummy trigger, stiff recoil springs because of the blowback design. The metal is usually a cast zinc allow that is brittle.
    3- there is no investment value at all.
    4- for a first gun you are starting with poor ergonomics, trigger and sights and will gain nothing but bad habits.
    5- the cartridge is weak, and expensive for its low power.
    6- you'd be better off taking whatever money he is asking for it and applying it to saving for something better.

14. jersh243

jersh243 New Member

Ok what do y'all think about the hi-point c9? it's about 80 more.

15. towboater

towboater Active Member

$80 more than what?

Much better than the Raven.

16. MisterMcCool

Lifetime warranty and terrific customer service. Still an entry level firearm, but the best of the worst.

17. jersh243

jersh243 New Member

$80 more then the raven

18. jersh243

jersh243 New Member

So it's a decent beginners gun? I will probably get the 40 s&w because its my favorite caliber

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

it's a about a hundred times better than the Raven. do an internet search about the Raven and then come back here and tell us what you found.

yes a 25 auto can kill a person, but there are way better rounds than a 25 auto. even the little 22lr is better than the 25 auto.

the Hi-Points have a great warranty and are decently accurate and for the most part work like a pistol is suppose to.

20. MisterMcCool

Good choice.