Firearms Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
148 Posts
Post a reply

I am not an expert but a couple of years ago I decided to get a wild hog with a 17 cal.Mission accomplished --got him about 30 feet shot him 3 times in the head --side shot--then he had enuff and charged me --ran past me and took a nose dive off a cliff.When he ran past me he was about 4 feet from me and I gave him another taste of 17 in the side.We were using dogs After this I decided that shooting hogs was not exciting enuff so we went to stabbing with the good ole K-bar.Now that is the way to go hog hunting (gathering)--That year we got about 30 hogs and ate some and gave most to the land owner.I really like wild hog meat.In the Ozarks they eat mostly wild nuts and such.No wild taste.At the time my wife and I operated a B & B and served "wild hog sausage"--The guest thot it was excellent.By the way I am 70 + years and have got to old to chase dogs I don't know somehow the Ozarks mtns seem to have gotten steeper:D
Tame hogs can and usually do have a litter every 90 days (8-10/brood)--wild hogs don't quite do that good --but here is a math problem for you --suppose you had 5 sows in the wild and each have and raise 5 of her brood and half of her her brood was female and could breed when they were 6 months old How many wild hogs would you have at the end of the year?wild hogs usually have about three broods /year
You can see why they are destroy so much

· Registered
148 Posts
hunting hogs

I once had a hog hit me from the side so hard it knocked me out of my boots but then my pard and I caught him live --the hog did not cut me --just knocked me straight up in the air and ran down the hill--I guess he thot that was fun and came back for more but this time I was ready and cornered him and caught him :D--Hog hunting is great ;)

· Registered
148 Posts
what do y'all think

One year my pard and I killed 30 wild hogs ---we ate them and always gave the farmer (Land owner) a choice of us having the hogs or him/her.After all they raised the hogs -so to speak-most often the land owner wanted at least one of the hogs caught on their place.Wild hog meat is GOOD.We started off shooting the hogs but that did not last long ---we decided for the sport of it we would stab the hogs with a k-bar--now that is up close and personal :D I am not a young man (tomorrow I will be 73) but did not want to be an arm chair hog hunter. We did not trap hogs,,we hunted hogs with dogs in the Ozarks.Please do not misunderstand me we always carry a side arm --sometimes as small as a .17 and sometimes as large as a 30/30 thompson center most often we carried a 9mm or a 357

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.