What do ya think about taurus?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ktmboyz, Jun 30, 2009.

1. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I am looking to get a light weight compact revolver for a summer time ccw. I have been looking at the smith shrouded hammer air weight, the new ruger lcr or I saw a new model Taurus at cabela's last weekend for $329.

I have never been a real Taurus fan but just looking for some input from you guys good or bad..

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  2. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

I'm thinking the LCR. I really like the feel of that snubby.

Canebrake has one. I'm sure he has tons of insight on it.

3. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I plan on picking up a Judge after i get my M14.

4. AR762

AR762 New Member

I have a Taurus Model 94 Revolver in .22 but, I have had problems with a Taurus Model 66 and 85. The Cylinders would not lock into place, and my brother in law had the same problem with his model 85.

The factory fixed his and both models of mine but, his Model 85 did it again after 200 rounds and mine did the same. I lost faith in Taurus as a self defense firearm.

Just in my opinion, I would buy the Ruger or save some more money and buy the S&W Airweight.

I know you said, your a Taurus fan but, if your going to use it as a CCW gun, are you completely confident, with a Taurus in such a serious situation?

If your answer is yes, then sleep on it, and see what your gut feeling tells you, the day you decide to buy one.

I use a S&W 340PD for summer carry in a Kramer Pocket Holster, and I'm a Glock guy.

5. Hollander

Hollander New Member

I purchased a Taurus .38 Ultralight snub a couple of months ago. Trigger pull was a little stout but a found a smith who worked wonders on it. It has been perfectly reliable and easy to shoot. Nothing wrong with Taurus IMO.

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'll not buy a taurus again based on too many nightmare stories I've read about them. Same thing for any handgun.

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I believe he said he has never been a Taurus fan. Does Glock make a revolver? :p

I like the larger cal Taurus revolvers as in the Raging Bull series. My fav is .464 Casull. But they are way too big for ccw, imo.

Don't disregard the S&W snubbies for carry. Reliable and they are S&W.
    Just my opinion, brother. :D

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I love the Judge, but I'd like to get one with the longer barrel. Something about being able to alternate the .410 and .45 LC is just very appealing to me.

9. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

thanks for the input guys, I think I am still leaning heavily towards the S&W air weight with the shrouded hammer

10. CCW357

CCW357 New Member

The only Taurus I might concider would be the Judge.

11. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

My MMA coach, who's also my shooting buddy, has a Taurus guns and he likes them. I've shot them a lot and they've worked fine. He's got a 2" .357 revolver, and two 9mm pistols (a PT92 and a Millenium Pro).

I do prefer my S&W wheelguns, though.

12. karlsgunbunker

karlsgunbunker New Member

I have 2 Taurus trackers in .45acp.
    1 - 4" Titanium
    1 - 6" SS

And I recently picked up a Taurus 85 in .38spl.

All of mine work well and hit what I aim at.
    I'm very happy with them.

13. JoshX3Magazine

JoshX3Magazine New Member

I own a Taurus Model 65 .357 and so far it's proven an excellent revolver. No malfunctions of any kind. Shoots smooth.

I DID replace the stock grips with Hogues but that's just personal preference.

Josh

14. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

This is my Taurus "JUDGE". I changed the grips to Hogue and changed the front sight filiment.

Attached Files:

15. AR762

AR762 New Member

I'm sorry, I miss read the not a Taurus fan part. But, I didn't suggest buying a Glock either. I said, I carry a S&W 340PD for the Summer. S&W does make a revolver right? :p

16. Scrapper

Scrapper New Member

I own a Taurus 605 snub-nose .357 with 4000 flawless rounds through it. It's my summer gun.

I own a Taurus M66 with 1000 rounds through it. It's my every day carry weapon and my open carry piece when I'm doing security work.

Both have operated flawlessly and reliably, and I trust my life to them.

I have also used the PT1911 and the 24/7 and like them a lot (Too much take-up on the 24/7, though).

Taurus produces fine weapons with no higher a percentage of failure than any other manufacturer. Their bad reputation is an artifact from when they were owned by the same corp as S&W and got crappy parts and second-hand equipment. That changed in 1992.

The lifetime no-questions-asked guarantee is nice, too.

17. Stormbilly

Stormbilly New Member

I highly recommend the ruger LCR. Go try them all out at your LGS, you'll find that the LCR has the best trigger of all of them, and is cheaper than the S&W.

18. shadomunkey

shadomunkey New Member

My luck with Taurus has not been too good.
    I have a pt92 9mm that I've had to send back a few times, and my pt745 had to go back to the factory after less than 100 rounds.
    To be fair to the 9mm, though, at least one problem was caused by my shooting some reloads I bought at a gun show that were loaded too hot. I only shoot factory rounds through it now, and so far, it's been OK.

19. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

I love my Taurus .357. Never had a single issue with it, groups well and is well engineered.

20. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I have several Taurus revolvers and have not had trouble out of any of them. having said that I'd lean toward the Ruger or the S&W as that's what my wife carries.

The latest Taurus manufactured firearms are VASTLY superior compared to older 1s.