What do the dealers do with your information?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by JasonM, May 13, 2010.

1. JasonM

JasonM New Member

In California when you buy a hand gun, the dealer wants two things. ID and proof of residency. A California drivers license and a copy of a car registration works just fine. I am just wondering do they just keep that in their log books, or do they actually send those in somewhere?

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Why not just ask one?

BTW, Jason. Drop by the Introduction sub-forum and tell us a little about you, your interests in shooting and how you found us. :D

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

They also make a copy of your Handgun Safety Certificate. So, it's picture ID, proof of residence and the HSC.

The paperwork goes into a binder somewhere in the back of the shop. It's kept on the premises and doesn't actually go anywhere. Remember, the info has already been transmitted by computer to the Feds. However, the Cal. DOJ can come in at any time and look at the information if they desire, so can the BATFE.

Long guns are only registered as long guns. no serial number is registered. Handguns require make, model, barrel length, caliber, semiauto or revolver, Country of Manufacture and even the finish.

The wonderful CA Legislature is now pushing to have long guns individually registered. They are also trying to prohibit open carry in the places where it is now lawful.

4. JasonM

JasonM New Member

Reason I am asking is because my car registration is due soon, and I just filed for a renewal. Should get a new registration and stickers sometime soon. Do I have to update it with them, when I do and provide them with a copy of my new registration?

5. CA357

Nope. Once the transaction is completed, it's over. You just have to have current proof of residence at the time you do the background check.

6. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I like New Mexico, drivers license only! If you are military, your state you have residence and a copy of your orders coming to New Mexico.

7. JasonM

JasonM New Member

Cool. I was a bit concerned since my car was registered under a different address. I went ahead and had the address updated with the DMV, cant stand the DMV. Could not get a hold of them, took like 2 hours just to get an application at the window.

8. JasonM

JasonM New Member

I think California has the most strict gun laws and regulations in the nation. Cant blame them after all the shootouts and gang activity.

9. CA357

My pleasure. :cool:

10. JasonM

JasonM New Member

lol what happens if I move? Sorry to ask so many questions, never owned a firearm before.

11. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Out of state? Out of the country? Or just to another town or county?

Actually, nothing happens. There is no requirement I know of to provide information after the purchase.

12. JasonM

JasonM New Member

Just moving to a different address within the city. Its just there was so much confusion when I provided them with my registration. I had to go through so much crap just to get a copy with my new address, and later to find out they just simply had to see it, and then stash it somewhere in the back. Its just that there are so many variables, I could have just as easily show them other papers which states my residency (not including head of household bills and such)

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Sorry, but yes you can blame them. The more strict the gun laws, the more bold the criminals. Only law abiding citizens abide by the law.

Shootouts and gang activity is not exclusive to LA or California.

14. CA357

Once you've registered the gun, it's registered. Case closed. If you move to another state, then you may possibly have to register it there.

15. Kimber45

Kimber45 New Member

What states register firearms? Washington doesn't, nor Idaho, not sure about Oregon?

16. CA357

I don't know if any other states require gun registration other than California. I was just sayin'. ;)

17. freefall

freefall New Member

25 years ago I gave each of my brothers in Iowa a .357 after the state built a med-security prison in the nearest town. One of them took it to the county sheriff to "register" it. The sheriff said "Your brother gave it to you? Take it home and shut up".