What do i really need?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by SmallHands, Sep 17, 2013.

1. SmallHands

SmallHands New Member

So my bf and i just got our new and first fire arms but We havent got the chance to shoot em yet :( before we do shoot em i want to give our guns the froglube treatment first. Im not sure what i do really need for cleaning and maintenance but So far im thinking of froglube, silicon cloth, t-shirt patches, cleaning mat, microfiber rags, cleaning rod and a brass bore brush (i really want a nylon bore brush though). Is that a good list or do i need more?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Sounds like you got it all covered. I'd pick up some Bore Snakes as well.

3. SmallHands

SmallHands New Member

Thanks! I kept confusing myself by listing it all and asking myself if i missed anything lol!

4. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

The K.I.S.S. cleaning kit

Lube/cleaner
    Bore brushes
    Rods
    Patches
    Bore snakes

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

If you have the frog lube paste and it didn't come with a brush you can use a plumbers flux brush. A 3 pack at Lowes or Home Depot costs about $5.00. Also might need a set of brushes for cleaning the frame, outside of barrel, feed ramp, etc. You can also use furniture stripping brushes, again a set can be had at Lowes or Home Depot for about $3.00.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. SmallHands

SmallHands New Member

Im afraid the brass brushes might scratch the frame/outside of the gun :( is it really ok to brush the frame with a nylon brush instead?

8. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Yes, nylon won't hurt the finish. You really shouldn't need to scrub the outside of the gun, well..unless you intend on getting it muddy. :)

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

You can use the nylon for the frame and slide or anything finished like a stainless steel barrel. Brass for the unfinished parts. Throw the steel brush away. :)

10. vincent

vincent New Member

Seconded on the bore snake...:cool:

Get a bottle of Hoppe's #9...if only for the smell...;):D

Lead rags can do wonders as well for the tough to get spots...it'll shine stainless up really pretty

Attached Files:

11. barnesgunsmith

barnesgunsmith New Member

I have used toothbrushes from dentist also. Had a few left over in my bathroom drawers.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You can also hit the dollar store for 5 pack of toothbrushes for $1. Lead removal cloths will also strip bluing from blued guns- be careful.

13. SmallHands

SmallHands New Member

Thanks! Didnt kno about the lead cloth stripping blued guns.

14. outlaw206

outlaw206 New Member

15. outlaw206

outlaw206 New Member

I bet u use plastic bore cleaning tips dont u

16. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

seriously....as some have said....use reg. household items and save that $$$. :)

i use cheap toothbrushes, Q-TIPS, and old socks and undies more than i use any other cleaning items.

i also find a FLEXIBLE cleaning rod to be indispensable.

17. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

oh! and i highly recommend wipe out bore cleaner....but i'd only buy it if i have long guns to clean imo....and be careful to cover wood finishes (shouldn't hurt it, but JIC).

Attached Files: