Firearms Talk banner
3021 - 3040 of 3060 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
Otis has a Star Chamber tool and Bone tool for cleaning the bolt. Cant carry an ultrasonic cleaner in the field.

Reactions: Bigcat

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Saw the star tool previously and watched reviews on it. Doesn't seem to work very well. The B.O.N.E. looks like it does pretty good though.

Battle Steel makes a similar tool, it's a "star" tool, but the way it's made it also functions as a BONE tool all in one. Again, certain parts of it seem to do OK, but the star chamber scraper/cleaner, eh, not so much. Seems to be similar results for the plethora of other "AR carbon scraping" tools out there.

The bolt and BCG, however, haven't really been the big issue for me, it's cleaning the dang chamber behind the lugs. I've found that some picks and foam tipped swabs are about as good as it gets.

I think the star tool might be useful in a combat/war scenario for when things get extra super gummed up, it should at least scrape out enough gunk to keep the rifle running, but it isn't a "home from the range" kinda clean.

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
I got an email today. Someone came up with a ratcheting charging handle. Supposed to multiply the force to remove a stuck case without mortaring it.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I cleaned mine along with my sidearm today after work. The bolt is nice and slick and the slide on my carry is smooth. I love the smell of gun oil, took out my cleaning kit, put on some music and just enjoyed the next 2 hours of just detail cleaning all the nooks and crannies. 😊

Can’t wait to hit the range next weekend! Will resume my drill practice probably this weekend.

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
Interesting, but that's a big old hunk sticking out there on the right side.

Now that I have one, any future AR builds I'm going with a side charging upper.
The picture is with it open. Closed it looks like a normal charging handle.
I like the side charger. Just seems more normal to me but I was not raised on the AR platform.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I loaded up some .308 rounds with a new powder & took the AR10 to the range to try them out. They worked great!
so...what was the load. How did it group? etc etc.

I was loading this load for many years in both my m1a and sar48.
with an M1A Springfield in 7.62 Nato.
ONce fired LC brass from scharch mfg.
Large rifle winchester brand primers (standard)
150 Hornady brand BTSP bullets
45.0 grains of varget brand powder
HIgh 2755, LOW 2710, AVG 2722 Spread 45 Std Dev 18
Very Accurate Load, tight groups, 1 in with IRON sights and 62 year old eyes!
the groups opened up a bit as my eyes are now 75 years old.
This load works great with no matter WHICH bullet I am pushing with it and varget is NOT temperature sensitive (like Win 748 is)
OF course. here is the DISCLAIMER.
REDUCE all loads 10 percent and work up from there. Remember, My rifle and chamber are different then yours. Your results may vary.!!

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I put a set of UTG metal pop ups on my 300 Blackout pistol. I have a reflex sight as the main site, but if the battery dies, I pop up the irons and they align perfectly through the reflex window, works great. To get them aligned, I just turned on the reflex and adjusted the irons so they aligned with the center red dot, and they were right on.

To each their own, but I'm not a fan of the canted sights, they stick out and add bulk to get snagged on stuff.

·
Premium Member
G42 G43x P95DC CZ82 Mak CZ70 AR etc.
5,384 Posts
I put a set of UTG metal pop ups on my 300 Blackout pistol. I have a reflex sight as the main site, but if the battery dies, I pop up the irons and they align perfectly through the reflex window, works great. To get them aligned, I just turned on the reflex and adjusted the irons so they aligned with the center red dot, and they were right on.

To each their own, but I'm not a fan of the canted sights, they stick out and add bulk to get snagged on stuff.
I have several set up that way with Magpul flip ups. Zero'd the same way. Have all been dead on for several years now.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

The ones I bought are foldable sights.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
My son put this butt stock on his rifle. "IF" the recent ATF proposal on the "brace" definition change goes into effect (and I have little doubt it will), I will spend another $200 and form 1 my 300 Blk pistol as an SBR and then put one of these on it. It's the VLTOR IMOD. Very nice cheek piece with the small wing extensions on it, very comfortable without being bulky. The little extension have caps on the end are hollow to hold batteries, etc.

Cylinder Gun accessory Auto part Trigger Gas

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I got my BUIS in today!! which I wasn’t expecting, I was actually expecting them to come this weekend, but I got them earlier. Anyways I’m so happy, essentially these sights were the last piece of the puzzle to add to my DMR. I wanted the rifle to be a jack of all trades type gun. And these sights were the last thing I was missing to do just that.

Got them installed, adjusted them so they flip up easily and fast and also bore sighted them. And practiced a bit with going from scope to sights and vice versa by canting the rifle back and fourth.

All in all, I’m very happy!! 🙂 Can’t wait to hit the range with it! 😁

Camera accessory Gadget Finger Material property Font

Leaf Textile Rectangle Petal Pink

Plant Bicycle part Tree Camera accessory Pink

Light Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle part Pink

·
Registered
32 Posts
got my psa 6.5 grendel upper and put the tacticon BUIS on it and the "
Bushmaster RT5 Mini Red Dot Sight w/ Mount: MGW number F407427 (think I bought that at PSA).
Got them all "battle sight zero'ed" at 25 yards. Will have to find a 100 yard range to confirm that all is well..
One thing I don't like to well is that I had to put a light of RIGHT windage on that rear sight. More then I normally require.

3021 - 3040 of 3060 Posts