Firearms Talk banner
3001 - 3020 of 3028 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Yep, and I just a bought a new scope for my DMR and so I’ll be sighting it in the next time I hit the range. So when I see ammo, I buy some while I can.
I don't think those anti 2A warped people are ever going to quit so I will continue building my ammo dump until my head tells me to stop. That may a long time off because I will be shooting some continuously. Practice make dangerous.... 😁

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
The only problem I see with cheap 5.56 and 7.62x39 is when Tulammo, Wolf, Barnhaul, etc's form 6's run out and won't get renewed because of Biden's ban on importing Russian ammo and firearms. US ammo makers won't have to compete with the cheap prices, so I expect those calibers will see a permanent increase in price once that happens.

I never thought I'd be reloading 380 and 9mm, much less 5.56. But, here we are. It's going to take a 50%+ decrease (depending on cartridge) in current prices before it will even get close to cheap enough to not reload it anymore.

I'm not just concerned with supply and demand. With the escalating inflation, who knows what ammo and reloading components are going to do. It wouldn't surprise me to see everything do a 180, supply goes way up because demand tanks due to inflation and high(er) prices. I don't know what would suck more, can't get it because it's selling as fast as it's made, or having it all back on the shelves again, but not be able to afford it....

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
The only problem I see with cheap 5.56 and 7.62x39 is when Tulammo, Wolf, Barnhaul, etc's form 6's run out and won't get renewed because of Biden's ban on importing Russian ammo and firearms. US ammo makers won't have to compete with the cheap prices, so I expect those calibers will see a permanent increase in price once that happens.

I never thought I'd be reloading 380 and 9mm, much less 5.56. But, here we are. It's going to take a 50%+ decrease (depending on cartridge) in current prices before it will even get close to cheap enough to not reload it anymore.

I'm not just concerned with supply and demand. With the escalating inflation, who knows what ammo and reloading components are going to do. It wouldn't surprise me to see everything do a 180, supply goes way up because demand tanks due to inflation and high(er) prices. I don't know what would suck more, can't get it because it's selling as fast as it's made, or having it all back on the shelves again, but not be able to afford it....
I won't go on record for anything having to do with ammo due to emotional panic buying, but I've taken enough economics courses, have lived long enough, and have read the best book on economics there is. What goes up, comes down...period. Prices go up so wages go up. There is a lag but, if it's good news, people don't want to work, so those that are, want more wages due to inflation and there are a lot of people changing jobs for more money. That is a short summary on it all.
The best book ever written for those that don't understand economics is: "How an Economy Grows and Why it Crashes" by Peter Fisch. I know it sounds boring (it isn't) but that is a very entertaining way of explaining it all.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Ultrasonics work great. See for yourself:

I bought one for i think 60$ on sale. Bought the replacement warranty. I think i traded it in maybe 5 times for a brand new one. Now granted, i used the heck out of it during that time. The transducer kept going out.
Anyway, i just use it to clean parts now. No cases.
Compressed air and food dehydrator to dry. I always use both to dry.
Love it for AR BCG.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Not gonna try to change your mind, just pointing out a few things that might help with cleaning that AR.

Never owned a Mini-14, thought about it once, but they seem to have a bad rap on accuracy. Don't know if it's warranted or not. Probably just haters hating like they do on so many other guns or calibers.
All I know for certain is that my Mini-14 is significantly more accurate (I only shoot both with open sights) than my 16" barreled AR, which, for the design which I don't like, is well made. I think it is due to the 5.5" longer sight plane with the Mini. That alone would explain it for me and that's a big enough difference to probably negate everything else in the equation. It's killed tons (literally) of critters that didn't have landowner's permission..... 😁

I will consider a sonic cleaner. The video sure showed the dirt from a gunked up BCG. Right now, spending is on hold because the bookkeeper is behind. In this household, HOLD means HOLD. I know we have plenty of money but I HATE not knowing exactly how much. It all came too hard to let the book keeper (wife) fall behind. She does a good job but I make my points with her and vice versa. She has toys too, LOL! Ever bought a $16,000 sewing machine?

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
I bought one for i think 60$ on sale. Bought the replacement warranty. I think i traded it in maybe 5 times for a brand new one. Now granted, i used the heck out of it during that time. The transducer kept going out.
Anyway, i just use it to clean parts now. No cases.
Compressed air and food dehydrator to dry. I always use both to dry.
Love it for AR BCG.
I keep saying I will start reloading again but haven't even unpacked it yet. I know it will involve buying updated tools (scales for sure) and I am still designing a table in my mind. I've been saving brass for a while. I would rather buy components than new ammo (I think). I know what my reloads could do back in the day and they were quite good. Nothing like that "bang" being your own "bang". I need to break in that new CZ and I also need to write it's "new gun" report. I want to do that when I feel better. Been kind of puny lately.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Can't say I've ever spent $16,000 on a sewing machine...can't even imagine one that cost that much (unless it's some giant commercial thing for a business). I did pay a few hundred for one for the wife many years ago and I think it got used 2 or 3 times.

But, I do understand things being on hold when the CFO ain't caught up, that's pretty much how it runs around here too.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Can't say I've ever spent $16,000 on a sewing machine...can't even imagine one that cost that much (unless it's some giant commercial thing for a business). I did pay a few hundred for one for the wife many years ago and I think it got used 2 or 3 times.

But, I do understand things being on hold when the CFO ain't caught up, that's pretty much how it runs around here too.
No, it's not a commercial machine. Sewing machines are just like guns and reloading equipment. How much money you got?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I bought a laser bore sighter for my AR last week off amazon and just got it in today. Didn’t take long to sight it in my living room as I already had done a good amount of it with a different laser I had over a week ago.

Will be going over to my brother’s wife parents farm here in the next 2 weeks or so to continue cutting some more firewood for the winter. Will be bringing my DMR to fire some live rounds to finish sighting in my new scope. And I’m bringing my sidearm as well, I’ve been practicing a drill at home with both my rifle and my sidearm basically just switching weapons from primary to secondary and vice versa
(trying to get good at it and gain some speed, so far I’m improving 😁)

And also manipulating the selector switch on the rifle using my trigger finger instead of my thumb that way I don’t have to change grip and I keep everything the exact same way and consistent. And so I’ll run that drill with a few live rounds as well.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
, I’ve been practicing a drill at home with both my rifle and my sidearm basically just switching weapons from primary to secondary and vice versa
(trying to get good at it and gain some speed, so far I’m improving 😁)
Be careful with this.
Speed drills live fire with handguns involved whether its "transitions" or speed draw is how the majority all self-shoots happen.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Also not sure if I mentioned this yet.
I recently replaced a Magpul angled foregrip with a BVM VFG, had to buy a tool just to install that VFG... why could they not make it flat head or phillips like everyone else.. it had to be Torx... anywho.....:oops:

Next I had a cheap attachmentrail to my MLOK to hold a Weapons mounted light.
I figured it ought to be hard to mess those up.
I knew it was not very good but it was worse than I thought.
The darn thing fell off first time I fired a few mags thru it.

So thats goona need replacing..
:)

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Be careful with this.
Speed drills live fire with handguns involved whether its "transitions" or speed draw is how the majority all self-shoots happen.
Oh yeah I’m definitely careful. I’ve seen youtube videos of what your describing and most of them have their finger on the trigger while drawing thus the self-shoot. But I’ve got really good trigger discipline and I’ve gained a little bit of speed when doing it at home with empty guns. But with live fire, I’m gonna actually take it slow when doing the transitions. Essentially both weapons will be loaded with 5 rounds each, and I’m gonna start with the AR,
Draw, Aim, Flip off safety and BANG, safety off. And then at my own comfortable pace, no speed or anything, draw the handgun, aim, and BANG. And then holster and repeat.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
I looked at it and said to myself "it needs to be cleaned" but not doing it because it may get shot this weekend.

Pandemic, I hear those things can kill ya.......

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I also put some spare cloths to the side for range day. And will also be practicing with them (especially the pants) that way I get better with drawing the handgun more smoothly when doing the transition from the rifle.

3001 - 3020 of 3028 Posts