Firearms Talk banner
2981 - 3000 of 3028 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Ah, nature's little speed bumps. Came home after a midshift in the Air Force many times when I was down in Texas to mamma, daddy, and baby dillos just tearing up my yard.

Went to grab my Ruger Single-Six one morning (which is what I usually used on them) and couldn't find it, so the Ruger Super Redhawk was closest at hand.

Learned that it was a bit more satisfying watching them roll across the yard after being hit with a 300 grain HP. Of course, the preacher and his wife who owned the property behind us didn't much appreciate the sound of the "hand cannon" at 6:00AM...

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Ah, nature's little speed bumps. Came home after a midshift in the Air Force many times when I was down in Texas to mamma, daddy, and baby dillos just tearing up my yard.

Went to grab my Ruger Single-Six one morning (which is what I usually used on them) and couldn't find it, so the Ruger Super Redhawk was closest at hand.

Learned that it was a bit more satisfying watching them roll across the yard after being hit with a 300 grain HP. Of course, the preacher and his wife who owned the property behind us didn't much appreciate the sound of the "hand cannon" at 6:00AM...
I hear they carry leprosy. Besides the fact they need to be killed anyway, that's just another reason, true or not.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Cleaning the guns after shooting is definitely the worst part of the entire affair, but I don't hate it so much that I'd rather do something else I wouldn't want to do.

Next time I'm near the Horror Freight store, I'm gonna pick up one of their sonic cleaners. Great for doing little pieces parts, BCG's, bolts, etc. In all honesty, I almost hate cleaning the bolt action rifles more than the AR's. It's harder to get into the receiver area with the scopes getting in the way and you can't pop the lower off like you can with the AR. For me, the part of cleaning the AR that I dislike the most is behind the locking lugs and into the chamber. A brand new AR chamber brush is always slightly too big, so you can't really spin it to get that area clean until the brush is worn in. The problem is how to get it worn in. I have a cheap multi-caliber cleaning kit I got years ago that has quite a few brush diameters (supposed to do from 22 cal up through 12 gauge). I found one of the medium to large brushes (assume it's supposed to be for a 28 gauge) fits into that area pretty decently. If not, I buy a regular AR chamber brush and cut off the the long thinner "chamber" part of it so all I have is the larger diameter one for that area. I then find whichever caliber brush fits in the chamber and use that to clean it. For example, a 40 cal brush works great for the 350 Legend chamber.

Another thing that helps is a cheap set of sponge tipped cleaning sticks I get off Amazon for $7 or $8. A pack usually consists of several sizes and lengths. These work well, are pretty durable and reach the tight spots inside the upper and lower receiver.

Rectangle Line Font Parallel Pattern

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Cleaning the guns after shooting is definitely the worst part of the entire affair, but I don't hate it so much that I'd rather do something else I wouldn't want to do.

Next time I'm near the Horror Freight store, I'm gonna pick up one of their sonic cleaners. Great for doing little pieces parts, BCG's, bolts, etc. In all honesty, I almost hate cleaning the bolt action rifles more than the AR's. It's harder to get into the receiver area with the scopes getting in the way and you can't pop the lower off like you can with the AR. For me, the part of cleaning the AR that I dislike the most is behind the locking lugs and into the chamber. A brand new AR chamber brush is always slightly too big, so you can't really spin it to get that area clean until the brush is worn in. The problem is how to get it worn in. I have a cheap multi-caliber cleaning kit I got years ago that has quite a few brush diameters (supposed to do from 22 cal up through 12 gauge). I found one of the medium to large brushes (assume it's supposed to be for a 28 gauge) fits into that area pretty decently. If not, I buy a regular AR chamber brush and cut off the the long thinner "chamber" part of it so all I have is the larger diameter one for that area. I then find whichever caliber brush fits in the chamber and use that to clean it. For example, a 40 cal brush works great for the 350 Legend chamber.

Another thing that helps is a cheap set of sponge tipped cleaning sticks I get off Amazon for $7 or $8. A pack usually consists of several sizes and lengths. These work well, are pretty durable and reach the tight spots inside the upper and lower receiver.

View attachment 247376
I would rather mow your yard, sight unseen, than clean my AR. It needs cleaning right now. It's a cluster design.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Hee hee, if you promise to do it with a push mower, I'd agree to that deal, just for the entertainment.....

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
You want easy clean AR? Also, mini 14.
HehHeh...
"Power Professional Turbo Sonic Cleaner : LYMAN TURBO SONIC POWER PROFESSIONAL ULTRASONIC CLEANER | Shop Brownells" https://shop.brownells.com/gun-clea...LX9xogI9VpfrbBLzd2XTNrpaJzmyeTdoaAnTdEALw_wcB
I just use brake cleaner. I can clean my Mini-14 in a third the time it takes to clean the AR. It is much more accurate too with a much longer sight plane, not to mention the better action. I'll take a mini-14 any day over an AR and nobody is changing my mind so just save it please. Didn't say any of this to start an argument. That's just my experience and a lot of it with the Mini.....new in 1980 and looks and shoots like new today. The barrel should be worn out but it definitely isn't.

I bought the AR because a lot of people don't want me to have it plus it gave me a reason to buy a lot more ammo when it was cheap. 😁 Love shooting dillos, yotes, and other critters with it. I use the AR more lately just to try to get used to it. Definitely don't clean it after every shot. Some nights, at the farm house, it gets a work out. I definitely believe in moon phases and weather front causing animal activity. Deer go crazy before a front comes through.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Not gonna try to change your mind, just pointing out a few things that might help with cleaning that AR.

Never owned a Mini-14, thought about it once, but they seem to have a bad rap on accuracy. Don't know if it's warranted or not. Probably just haters hating like they do on so many other guns or calibers.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I just came back from my local academy earlier today and let me tell you, they have a [email protected] load of ammo. Hundreds to thousands of rounds of 5.56 and .223 both in individual boxes and in bulk and the prices are good. Lots of hunting ammo as well, a decent supply of 12G. And only a few boxes of 9mm at still an expensive price. Limit is now 4 boxes a person.

So I was excited to get me some! I’m just happy ammo is back to normal. Some prices are good and some are still a bit high. Also bought myself another M-LOK Rail section, will be installing it tomorrow and putting a flashlight with a pressure switch on it.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I just use brake cleaner. I can clean my Mini-14 in a third the time it takes to clean the AR. It is much more accurate too with a much longer sight plane, not to mention the better action. I'll take a mini-14 any day over an AR and nobody is changing my mind so just save it please. Didn't say any of this to start an argument. That's just my experience and a lot of it with the Mini.....new in 1980 and looks and shoots like new today. The barrel should be worn out but it definitely isn't.

I bought the AR because a lot of people don't want me to have it plus it gave me a reason to buy a lot more ammo when it was cheap. 😁 Love shooting dillos, yotes, and other critters with it. I use the AR more lately just to try to get used to it. Definitely don't clean it after every shot. Some nights, at the farm house, it gets a work out. I definitely believe in moon phases and weather front causing animal activity. Deer go crazy before a front comes through.
Yeah, i know. Was joke.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
I wouldn't say ammo is back to normal by any stretch of the word. Rural King here seems to get a lot of 5.56 and 7.62x39 and 7.62x51, but prices are still high. Local gun shops have a decent amount of hunting ammo, but prices are still high.

Still can't find powder and primers very much.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I wouldn't say ammo is back to normal by any stretch of the word. Rural King here seems to get a lot of 5.56 and 7.62x39 and 7.62x51, but prices are still high. Local gun shops have a decent amount of hunting ammo, but prices are still high.

Still can't find powder and primers very much.

Yeah I know, I meant it in a way where I haven’t seen so much ammo like they had today in a really really long time. So to see so much of it and people not hoarding it all like it’s the end of world, it’s a good thing.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Not gonna try to change your mind, just pointing out a few things that might help with cleaning that AR.

Never owned a Mini-14, thought about it once, but they seem to have a bad rap on accuracy. Don't know if it's warranted or not. Probably just haters hating like they do on so many other guns or calibers.
I'm open minded enough to listen to you about ultra-sonic. I don't have one so I prefer to learn about them from someone that has one than just go buy one? I seriously want to know because I have a lot of guns.

Concerning Mini-14's, I'm just going on empirical evidence and the fact that I just like the Garand action and the gun. With a 16" barrelled open sight AR, it's no match for an open sighted Mini-14 with a 5.5" longer sight plane, one would think but there may be more to it that I don't know. That's just my experience. I think the longer sight plane has more to do with accuracy between the two guns than anything. If the Mini was less accurate, I would have no problem saying it. What else is there that would make one more accurate than the other? Barrel "heaviness" has nothing to do with it unless one gets very hot over the other. I don't mag dump so not a part of the equation. Not trying to argue, just trying to say where I'm coming from on it. I doubt if you really have an issue with it Hydro but, boy do a lot of people not agree.

Now back to the ultra-sonic. I don't like dirty guns at all, how well do they work?

·
Premium Member
Glock G42
5,144 Posts
Yeah I know, I meant it in a way where I haven’t seen so much ammo like they had today in a really really long time. So to see so much of it and people not hoarding it all like it’s the end of world, it’s a good thing.
It is good when you start seeing any store with LOTS of ammo once again. That says availability is improving some.
Once the ammo sales stabilize a bit more, I suspect we will see some more price reductions.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Completely agree, PANDEMIC. Local Cabella's here, apparently can't give away 5.56 but 9mm is a different story. Both of them are still high priced but definitely better. I just bought my ammo dump at really low prices so have trouble mentally adjusting to today's pricing. I think it's still too high and 5.56 will especially have to come down given the amount on the shelves. People seem to be buying up 9mm.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Completely agree, PANDEMIC. Local Cabella's here, apparently can't give away 5.56 but 9mm is a different story. Both of them are still high priced but definitely better. I just bought my ammo dump at really low prices so have trouble mentally adjusting to today's pricing. I think it's still too high and 5.56 will especially have to come down given the amount on the shelves. People seem to be buying up 9mm.

Yeah here 9mm is still available but it’s just still at a pretty high price and in some stores they have limited amounts. But I even called my local hardware store the other day after work and they told me they got a shipment in of a bunch of cases of 5.56, 223 and shotgun shells and handgun ammo. Of course, handgun ammo is still more expensive there then it is at academy. But again, like outlaw said, availability is starting to improve. And supply is also slowly catching up with demand.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Yeah here 9mm is still available but it’s just still at a pretty high price and in some stores they have limited amounts. But I even called my local hardware store the other day after work and they told me they got a shipment in of a bunch of cases of 5.56, 223 and shotgun shells and handgun ammo. Of course, handgun ammo is still more expensive there then it is at academy. But again, like outlaw said, availability is starting to improve. And supply is also slowly catching up with demand.
All of which is good. I need to break in a CZ and that is going to take a lot of ammo I can tell already. It shoots so I guess it really doesn't have to be done in a rush.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
All of which is good. I need to break in a CZ and that is going to take a lot of ammo I can tell already. It shoots so I guess it really doesn't have to be done in a rush.
Yep, and I just a bought a new scope for my DMR and so I’ll be sighting it in the next time I hit the range. So when I see ammo, I buy some while I can.

2981 - 3000 of 3028 Posts