Firearms Talk banner

2861 - 2880 of 2884 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Ran over to one of my LGS's as they show up on the Silencershop as a kiosk site to talk to them about a form 3 transfer of a suppressor I want, but can only find in stock from a place in Texas. Somehow, a dang Vortex Venom 5-25x56 scope followed me home...

On the plus side, they didn't want to do paper form 3 transfer and are only a satellite kiosk site, but the main kiosk store is't too far away. So, after a couple of phone calls, I now have a SilencerCo Omega 36M, a direct thread mount, and a 7.62 flash hider end cap on the way (the suppressor comes with a 9mm end cap) to that LGS, then I can just go in and do the fingerprints, photo, all the form 4 stuff, etc right on their kiosk, then freakin wait forever for the ATF....
Guns never cease to attack bank accounts in so many ways. Don't worry, Chipman will take care of us.......

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yeah, I'm kind of in a "grab it while I can still get it" mode, hence so much focus on the AR's and suppressors and all that lately. I hadn't planned on, heck I hadn't even heard of a binary trigger until last week, but yeah, I had to get one of those too, lol. Betty is gonna be gussied up for sure when all the parts get here.

I'd heard about the new Venom from Vortex, but hand't really paid much attention, but they had one there and the shop wasn't busy, so I was just chit chatting with them and poking around, so they pulled out several scopes for me to look at, Maybe it's me, maybe it's my eyes, maybe I just don't know what the heck to look at, but that Venom was so clear and so crisp, every bit as good as far as I could tell as several much, much more expensive scopes, and I even liked the reticle better than any I looked through. Basically, the Venom is a Strike Eagle without the lighted reticle and locking turrets...which is perfectly fine with me, other than that, it's basically the same scope, same glass, FFP, same zero stop, and 34mm tube, although it is slightly longer than a Strike Eagle....but it's $250 cheaper. $449.00 is what I got it for. I think it will be just dandy for the 22-250. I've heard some folks have had issues with the Strike Eagle, but I don't think this is "exactly" the same scope just minus a few features because it is slightly longer, it could be a totally new internal build, but with their warranty and the price, I'll take the chance.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Traded the drum mag for a reflex site.
Put it on. zerod poa at 25 yrds. Best i can tell itll be 7 to 9 inches high at 100. About 5 at 200, and around here its rare to see 300 yrds .
Aim at the belt buckle and hit the chest. Corse ill have to test that.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Is that on 5.56 or on the AK? When I had the reflex on the 16" AR in 350 Legend, I zeroed it at 50 and from point blank to 100 I just hold center mass with the Winchester 150 grain Xtreme Points. Once I get the SIG Bravo 3 mounted on it, I'll see how it does in comparison. Based on the GRT ballistics program, supersonic 300 Blackout with 120 grain bullets out of the 7.5" barrel is similar to the 150 grain 350 Legend out of the 16" out at 200-250 yards. So the horseshoe 300 reticle in the SIG should be useful for the 350. If it'll group at 200 in minute of chest, I'll be happy with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is that on 5.56 or on the AK? When I had the reflex on the 16" AR in 350 Legend, I zeroed it at 50 and from point blank to 100 I just hold center mass with the Winchester 150 grain Xtreme Points. Once I get the SIG Bravo 3 mounted on it, I'll see how it does in comparison. Based on the GRT ballistics program, supersonic 300 Blackout with 120 grain bullets out of the 7.5" barrel is similar to the 150 grain 350 Legend out of the 16" out at 200-250 yards. So the horseshoe 300 reticle in the SIG should be useful for the 350. If it'll group at 200 in minute of chest, I'll be happy with it.
I’m considering the Sig Bravo 3. Once you try it, let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Planning to hit the range with it tomorrow. I went back and forth between the SIG and the Vortex Spitfire 3x Gen II. Pros for the Vortex were super light weight (9.3 ounces) and compact size, but the FOV at 100 yards is rather small compared to the SIG (37 feet vs 52+ feet) and it has a rather short eye relief (I know prism sights are known for short eye relief, but the Vortex is on the shorter side of that even for prisms). It only has one reticle choice geared for 5.56 (but I do like the reticle's design). The SIG, on the other hand has two reticle choices (5.56 and 300 Blk), much better FOV, and better eye relief. The only downside to the SIG is it's a freakin tank at 23 ounces and is a bit bigger than the Vortex, but it is also $100 cheaper than the Vortex.

Just looking through the SIG (I don't have it mounted yet), I was a little dismayed at the actual size of the reticle, it's tiny. Even adjusting the diopter for my eye, I can barely read the holdover numbers. I'm trying not to judge until I actually use it, but I'm starting to second guess this sight and wondering if maybe I should have just gone with a 1-6 or 1-8 power LPVO scope instead....but we'll see. I think that reticle would probably work better on the Bravo 5 with it's higher magnification, but 350 Legend is realistically only good out to about 200-250ish with that big fat slug that has the aerodynamics of a brick. I didn't think I needed any more than 3x and that power would still be usable with both eyes open and also allow it to be used at closer ranges if needed. I'll let you know how it goes and what I think after I actually shoot with it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Dont have the AR anymore. Sold it to buy a friend a bathtub.

No its the Waser AKM 47 122 grain wolf steel case and some Chinese stuff mixed in.

Moved out some this morning though i cant get 100 yrds away and the ballistics seem to be holding close to prediction at the longer ranges. My next shipment of 62 arrives ill try it at a true 100 and 200 yrds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Planning to hit the range with it tomorrow. I went back and forth between the SIG and the Vortex Spitfire 3x Gen II. Pros for the Vortex were super light weight (9.3 ounces) and compact size, but the FOV at 100 yards is rather small compared to the SIG (37 feet vs 52+ feet) and it has a rather short eye relief (I know prism sights are known for short eye relief, but the Vortex is on the shorter side of that even for prisms). It only has one reticle choice geared for 5.56 (but I do like the reticle's design). The SIG, on the other hand has two reticle choices (5.56 and 300 Blk), much better FOV, and better eye relief. The only downside to the SIG is it's a freakin tank at 23 ounces and is a bit bigger than the Vortex, but it is also $100 cheaper than the Vortex.

Just looking through the SIG (I don't have it mounted yet), I was a little dismayed at the actual size of the reticle, it's tiny. Even adjusting the diopter for my eye, I can barely read the holdover numbers. I'm trying not to judge until I actually use it, but I'm starting to second guess this sight and wondering if maybe I should have just gone with a 1-6 or 1-8 power LPVO scope instead....but we'll see. I think that reticle would probably work better on the Bravo 5 with it's higher magnification, but 350 Legend is realistically only good out to about 200-250ish with that big fat slug that has the aerodynamics of a brick. I didn't think I needed any more than 3x and that power would still be usable with both eyes open and also allow it to be used at closer ranges if needed. I'll let you know how it goes and what I think after I actually shoot with it.
Thanks. The Sig has a better battery life too.
I guess a small reticle is not a bad idea. I wouldn’t want it to cover the target at 100-200 yards. But, yes, it needs to be visible.
Have fun at the range today. Let us know it goes.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Getting ready to head out to the range, but thought I'd show you this. The first picture is what you see for the reticle on all the ads and information. The bottom picture is more what it really looks like looking through the scope. Yeah, big disappointment, so tiny. Anyway, will give you my opinion when I get back.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Getting ready to head out to the range, but thought I'd show you this. The first picture is what you see for the reticle on all the ads and information. The bottom picture is more what it really looks like looking through the scope. Yeah, big disappointment, so tiny. Anyway, will give you my opinion when I get back.

View attachment 242969

View attachment 242970
You sure you don't have mounted backwards? 😂😉

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Traded the drum mag for a reflex site.
Put it on. zerod poa at 25 yrds. Best i can tell itll be 7 to 9 inches high at 100. About 5 at 200, and around here its rare to see 300 yrds .
Aim at the belt buckle and hit the chest. Corse ill have to test that.
Zero it for 55 yards (=50m) instead.
This is also called the 50/200 zero because the ballistic curve of the bullet (depending a bit on your ammo and barrel lenght but its ballpark) if zeroed at 50m, will also intersect at 200 meter (=220 yards).
BUt you only do the actual zeroing at 50m.

This is a nice and flat zero and your hold under at 100m is only about 2-3 inches, in other words negligible.
At 50m or less your hold over is also negligible.
With a 50/200 zero you dont have to remember any holdover or under until about 250 m (ish)
And I think its intuitive to tell yourself "no holdover/under unless I go over 250 meters then I hold higher due to distance".
That's easy to remember.

I run 50/200 zero on all my rifles.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Ok, just got home, my son and his fiance decided they wanted us to stop over for burgers and dogs on the grill (he lives a mile from the range). Anyway....while the reticle is tiny, it's not as bad as I thought on targets. Once you actually get it on a target past 50 yards, it's not too bad. I think the hold overs are useful. All in all, I'll give it a thumbs up. Now for the bad part, it is not useful for a rifle that kicks. The eye relief is too short. I put this on a 16" AR in 350 Legend caliber. I think it'd be better suited on 300 Blackout or 5.56. I tapped my forehead with it twice while shooting, not painfully, but it definitely was letting me know things were getting close. I didn't get a chance to try it at 200, but at 100 yards 7 of the 10 rounds fired were touching and the other 3 were within 1/2" (shooting was from the bench, but only propped on my elbow, no rest of any kind). All previous rounds were used to get it dialed in at 25 and 50 yards. Next time I will stretch it to 200 and see how the hold overs line up with that range. from 25 to 100 it was just dead center mass. Didn't shoot it too much as time was running out and I had the 22-250 to dial in with the new Vortex scope...and ohhh how sweet that scope is! Then I had to run a box of ammo through the new 300 BO pistol and get the reflex sight dialed in. I'm a little disappointed in the 300. At 25 yards, even after getting the sight set it was flinging them all over, even from the bench. Best I could get was about a 6" group out of it. Could be the ammo, I was shooting SIG Sauer Elite 120 grain open tips. Maybe, at least I hope, it just didn't like that bullet/ammo, or it could just be me.

·
Registered
795 Posts
This is also called the 50/200 zero because the ballistic curve of the bullet (depending a bit on your ammo and barrel lenght but its ballpark) if zeroed at 50m, will also intersect at 200 meter (=220 yards).

This is a nice and flat zero and your hold under at 100m is only about 2-3 inches, in other words negligible.
With a 50/200 zero you dont have to remember any holdover or under until about 250 m (ish)
And I think its intuitive to tell yourself "no holdover/under unless I go over 250 meters then I hold higher due to distance".
That's easy to remember.

This is for a 16 in bbl AK 47 using 122 grain fmj ???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, just got home, my son and his fiance decided they wanted us to stop over for burgers and dogs on the grill (he lives a mile from the range). Anyway....while the reticle is tiny, it's not as bad as I thought on targets. Once you actually get it on a target past 50 yards, it's not too bad. I think the hold overs are useful. All in all, I'll give it a thumbs up. Now for the bad part, it is not useful for a rifle that kicks. The eye relief is too short. I put this on a 16" AR in 350 Legend caliber. I think it'd be better suited on 300 Blackout or 5.56. I tapped my forehead with it twice while shooting, not painfully, but it definitely was letting me know things were getting close. I didn't get a chance to try it at 200, but at 100 yards 7 of the 10 rounds fired were touching and the other 3 were within 1/2" (shooting was from the bench, but only propped on my elbow, no rest of any kind). All previous rounds were used to get it dialed in at 25 and 50 yards. Next time I will stretch it to 200 and see how the hold overs line up with that range. from 25 to 100 it was just dead center mass. Didn't shoot it too much as time was running out and I had the 22-250 to dial in with the new Vortex scope...and ohhh how sweet that scope is! Then I had to run a box of ammo through the new 300 BO pistol and get the reflex sight dialed in. I'm a little disappointed in the 300. At 25 yards, even after getting the sight set it was flinging them all over, even from the bench. Best I could get was about a 6" group out of it. Could be the ammo, I was shooting SIG Sauer Elite 120 grain open tips. Maybe, at least I hope, it just didn't like that bullet/ammo, or it could just be me.
It sounds like you guys had fun.
Thanks for the review!

·
Registered
33 Posts

That's easy to remember.

No doubt. 50/200 meters zero works the best.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
This is for a 16 in bbl AK 47 using 122 grain fmj ???
The ballistics for a Ak round should be a different and the ballistic drop would likely be steeper and so you may start to need hold over at 150-200 instead of 250.
Even so, I would still zero at 50m rather than 25.

·
Registered
536 Posts
122-123 grain FMJ 7.63x39, depending on specific ammo and barrel length, you should be in the ballpark of 6-8 inches of drop at 200 yards. 250 yards will be around 12" and nose diving from there. Again, depending on specific ammo, that round starts to go subsonic just past 500-ish yards.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Thanks for the replies on the ak.

Heres what it actually is doing with wolf 122 grain fmj.
Iron sights. Zeroed 25 yards with rear sight set at 2 impacts point of aim at 25 yrds and 200 yards. 100 yrd poa =poi by sliding rear sight to 1.
Battle sight P settingwill hold app 8 inch group from 25 to 200 yrds.

Red dot. 25 yrd zero. Avg 8 inch high at 100 yrds, 6 at 200 yrds.

Optic is a Sitemark ultra shot m spec reflex sight mounted on a QD siderail mount.
Was pleasntly surprized that even removing and reattaching the sidemount after each shot for a 30 rd mag it retains zero . Has a 1 hour auto off if still that long and 1000 hr battery life. Kind of a poor boy eotech.

This rifle like the Ar before is purposed mainly as a self defence / home defense / church security weapon. So far very happy with the set up.

Havent checked any farther as a longer shot presenting itself where i live is rare even on deer. Killed one at 600 once but that was ridge too to ridge top .

I dont hunt anymore but if i ever do a 200 yrd shot would be rare . More like 100 to 150 max .

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have one of those SightMark M-Specs on the 300 BO pistol, love it. It's a well made product, easily on par with the EOtechs or the more expensive Holosuns. The only complaints I have are I wish you could change the reticle colors. I would like red, green and blue (I mean el cheapo $20 reflexes have that ability), and I wish the auto off feature didn't totally shut it down after 12 hours. I'd like the shake and wake feature to just stay on all the time. Beyond that though, it's a great sight especially for the price.

I was all set to go with an EOtech, but I don't like the "true" laser reticle, it's grainy and has a bit of a dazzling effect to my eye. I'm sure they've fixed the issues by now, but EOtech was sued by the military at one point because the sights malfunctioned in the cold and some reviews even today mention some issues with them in cold weather.

2861 - 2880 of 2884 Posts