Firearms Talk banner

2841 - 2860 of 2884 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
My partner on the church security team put a binary trigger in his colt AR
He can switch from regular semi auto to binary mode with the safety selector.

It is a blast to shoot and in a rare instance have practical application.
One thing to watch our for is if not properly set up you can " out run the bolt" and wind up with a bolt over case jam .

His hasnt but he had it put in at a shop that builds ARs . I have seen it happen on another friends AR that just dropped it in himself .

Trying to understand how the binary trigger can cause a bolt over case jam. In my experience BOC's are typically an issue with either the mag (weak spring or lip drag) or the system being under gassed (or both!). In those instances, you can just as easily got a BOC even without a binary trigger

·
Registered
795 Posts
Trying to understand how the binary trigger can cause a bolt over case jam. In my experience BOC's are typically an issue with either the mag (weak spring or lip drag) or the system being under gassed (or both!). In those instances, you can just as easily got a BOC even without a binary trigger
Yes sir you can.
As it was explained to me by several guys who build ars and install binarys the bolt simply out runs the mag.
In full auto the rifle is running as fast as its capable of and gassed for. Theres no variarions induced by the shooter on the trigger.
Its rare, and the few ive seen put in by the shop the guy is tweaking the assemblly a bit.
Havent seen it happen on any he installed.
The one instance i did see my other aquantance built his own rifle thenlater dropped in the bianary. It only happened the one time , that i saw.
If i still had an AR and wanted one i wouldnt let that deter me as its a very rare occurance as i understand.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Spent some time today checking out reviews and more in depth technical info on binaries. Seems there's yet another one out called "digitrigger", it literally uses a 9v battery in the grip to power its functionality, although they say if the battery dies, the mechanical semi-auto will still work. Interesting set up indeed. When the system is set to binary with the selector switch, there are actually two buttons on the grip; one let's you shoot in "electronic" semi-auto and the other is the binary function itself. The electronic semi-auto mode gives you a 1-lb trigger pull, whereas the mechanical semi is the standard 4.5-5 lbs.

I'm a gadget and tech freak and this looked really cool...until I saw the price....nearly $600, and you have to send your lower to them for installation, no DIY.

Next up, of course, were the Fostech and the Franklin Armory. Definitely some pros and cons with each, but it seems the Franklin is getting more nods, even though it tends to have more instances of hammer follow (which may be what you were thinking about vs bolt overs?). According to several posts, videos, and other reading, the Fostech has some durability issues (they're cast and MIM parts) and quite a few people had a lot of complaints about their customer service, It's also nearly $100 more than the Franklin trigger, and the final kicker that turned me off, you have to use an M-16/full auto BCG for it to work (and that doesn't come with the trigger). The Franklin, as mentioned is cheaper, less parts, less fiddly, works with semi-auto BCG's, but it can get bolt follow, however that is mostly a function of learning how to use it....more of a cadence thing.

I showed the wife a youtube video of a binary trigger in action. She asked me "Are those legal? You don't have to all that fingerprinting paperwork stuff?" I said "Nope, it's not an NFA item." Her reply was literally "Then go get one before [email protected]^%&*& Biden bans them!" Soooooo....I ordered a Franklin from Optics Planet today. I love my wife 😁

And somehow, a Sig Sauer Bravo 3 made its way into my basket at checkout too...:p

·
Registered
795 Posts
Not an AR but i let my grandaughter fire my AK with lazer and drum mag.

Figured her being used to my AR she would maybe like it better because of the ak added recoil.
Surprized me as she prefers the AK. As usual she just leaned into it and ran off about 15 rounds rapid fire.
My grandaugters Kiara and the younger Cheyanne are both wild childs , shoot anything you hand em never flinch and come back for more. Have always been like that. And both are little slim smallish made girls.
My grandson,, not so much into guns at all.

Go figure.

·
Registered
536 Posts
About 8 years ago when I first got into racing hydroplanes, my son and I both took the driver school. I hadn't even made it to the first turn when we got to drive one and had already decided "I gotta get one of these!", my son said it was fun, but meh, not his thing. My oldest daughter, at first, thought I was a crazy old man with a death wish (the class I run in we do 70-72 MPH in a small 120 lb plywood boat driving on our knees). She came out to visit during a race a few years later and I asked her what she thought now that she'd seen it person. She basically said screw watching, I want to try this! And so, we put her through the driving school and I bought her a boat and she started racing with me! My youngest daughter doesn't want anything to do with it, she won't even get in one of the boats and just take it for a ride just to try it. Several of the others racers have kids the same way, sons not interested but the daughters are beasts in the boats.

I try to have something to do with each of my kids, so my son and I do the guns, reloading, and shooting, I race with my oldest daughter, and now my youngest daughter and I are into blacksmithing, making knives and swords.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
About 8 years ago when I first got into racing hydroplanes, my son and I both took the driver school. I hadn't even made it to the first turn when we got to drive one and had already decided "I gotta get one of these!", my son said it was fun, but meh, not his thing. My oldest daughter, at first, thought I was a crazy old man with a death wish (the class I run in we do 70-72 MPH in a small 120 lb plywood boat driving on our knees). She came out to visit during a race a few years later and I asked her what she thought now that she'd seen it person. She basically said screw watching, I want to try this! And so, we put her through the driving school and I bought her a boat and she started racing with me! My youngest daughter doesn't want anything to do with it, she won't even get in one of the boats and just take it for a ride just to try it. Several of the others racers have kids the same way, sons not interested but the daughters are beasts in the boats.

I try to have something to do with each of my kids, so my son and I do the guns, reloading, and shooting, I race with my oldest daughter, and now my youngest daughter and I are into blacksmithing, making knives and swords.
Dude, sweet!
They used to have races close to where i grew up. I want to say it was on Lake DeGray. Long time ago though. Was always amazing to me watching as i thought how much my back hurt from a 40mph bass boat!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yeah, it's all sanctioned racing under the American Power Boat Association. They have tons of categories and classes from what we do up to the big offshore boats and the H1 Unlimited hydroplanes (the ones with the turbine engines that do 200+ MPH).

We race all over the country and even in Canada. There is also one class called OSY400 that is international, they race it over in Europe, South America, and other places. We've even had some Brits come over and race with us.

I love it, it is so fun (and I get my adrenaline rush, hee hee). It's affordable too, unlike anything with wheels on it. I bought my boat, motor and trailer (used) 8 years ago for $2500. We do have to wear kevlar sleeves, pants, boots, a special jacket/flotation device with hard armor on the outside and a SNELL 2010 or newer helmet, so that adds about $1500 to the price (but that's a one-time purchase as it lasts for years). Even the boats and motors last for years. My motor is something like 30 years old and the hull is around 12-15 years old.

Unfortunately, there's hardly any clubs down around your area, most are north west (Oregon, Washington), midwest and east coast.

This is a bit dated, but this a promo video APBA did for the Stock Outboard category:

Here's one a racer made with various clips, but some are from the cockpit so you can see what it's like driving the boats. I race with most of the people you'll see in this video:

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Bought a Blackhawk Black Nylon 2 point sling of 1.25 inch widht and a quick release attachment (to mount in the front, the rear mount was via a loop through the buttstocks "slit")
Also got some plastic dummy rounds and loaded up some mags with Brown Bear 62 gr HPs.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm looking at slings and a few other bits...I need to outfit some of my new AR's. Been so busy building new ones, other than sights, they're kinda naked. Currently looking at the "Slingster" for a 2-point, reviews rate it good, but it isn't cheap compared to the other slings. Screwed up on my last order from Midway and bought a pack of Troy Battlerail covers....they're picatinny rail covers, for some reason I thought they were for M-Lok. My only complaint with M-Lok guards is that nearly all the rail covers are very thin and don't span the gaps between them much. I guess I'll have to go with the Magpul type 2's and buy a few packs of them. They are short, almost squarish so you need a bunch of them to cover any length. I wish they would make them in longer versions, like a 1, 2, 3, 4 slots per piece. I also like the Fab Defense Mojo magwell/grip as I use the elbows in hold and put my supporting hand on the magwell. Seems there's a bit of controversy with this device for AR pistols as it might constitute a "vertical forward grip", which is a big no-no. I've seen a letter someone posted sdupposedly from the ATF stating these magwell parts are considered "accessories" and are OK, but I can't validate the legitimacy of those letters. Might be better to just not chance it.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
I'm looking at slings and a few other bits...I need to outfit some of my new AR's. Been so busy building new ones, other than sights, they're kinda naked. Currently looking at the "Slingster" for a 2-point, reviews rate it good, but it isn't cheap compared to the other slings. Screwed up on my last order from Midway and bought a pack of Troy Battlerail covers....they're picatinny rail covers, for some reason I thought they were for M-Lok. My only complaint with M-Lok guards is that nearly all the rail covers are very thin and don't span the gaps between them much. I guess I'll have to go with the Magpul type 2's and buy a few packs of them. They are short, almost squarish so you need a bunch of them to cover any length. I wish they would make them in longer versions, like a 1, 2, 3, 4 slots per piece. I also like the Fab Defense Mojo magwell/grip as I use the elbows in hold and put my supporting hand on the magwell. Seems there's a bit of controversy with this device for AR pistols as it might constitute a "vertical forward grip", which is a big no-no. I've seen a letter someone posted sdupposedly from the ATF stating these magwell parts are considered "accessories" and are OK, but I can't validate the legitimacy of those letters. Might be better to just not chance it.
Slings... i have bought a few of these. I like.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Not an AR, but close enough. I did an upgrade on my Kel-Tec PLR-16 pistol. I found a company that makes a "Pistol Brace" kit for it, and bought one. Then upgraded the brace with a SBA3 brace. This gun should be a hoot to shoot suppressed now.
Stock in-

Stock extended-

With one of my suppressor's attached-

·
Registered
536 Posts
Love the SBA3, that's what I put on Betty. Now in the process of researching and looking at suppressors. Thought I'd have one picked out and the paperwork done by now, but whooooo boy, not all cans are created equal and the mounting system choices are crazy.

I even had to email SilencerCo concerning one of their models because their site doesn't give all the specs, another retail site says something and it turns out the retail site is wrong, but the model does what I was hoping it would. I was going to go with just a suppressor for Betty and a cheap one at that, but I figured since this is going to be expensive no matter what, to heck trying to be cheap and also to go with a multi-caliber one I can use on most of my rifles. Specifically, I want to do 350 Legend, 300 BO and 22-250 at the least. SilencerCo's Omega 36M looked like the ticket as it says it is multi-caliber, but SilencerCo didn't specifically include 9mm (350 Legend is 9mm), but that retail site did.

Long story short, it will and there is barrel length restrictions, even for 300 BO...the retail site says there are no no barrel length restrictions for 300 BO...ugh. I'm finding this to be the case for a lot of different ones I'm looking at for multi-caliber.

Then there are the mounts....Key-mo, ASR, Plan-A, etc, etc. Some of them are not cheap. Key-Mo for example, each muzzle device for each firearm is around $239! Ouch. ASR, on the other hand you can get either a muzzle brake (which is supposed to actually be decent) or a flash hider that the mount fits on for about $85 each...much better! I'll figure out which one, but right now the SilencerCo Omega 36M with ASR mount is at the top of my list.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Love the SBA3, that's what I put on Betty. Now in the process of researching and looking at suppressors. Thought I'd have one picked out and the paperwork done by now, but whooooo boy, not all cans are created equal and the mounting system choices are crazy.

I even had to email SilencerCo concerning one of their models because their site doesn't give all the specs, another retail site says something and it turns out the retail site is wrong, but the model does what I was hoping it would. I was going to go with just a suppressor for Betty and a cheap one at that, but I figured since this is going to be expensive no matter what, to heck trying to be cheap and also to go with a multi-caliber one I can use on most of my rifles. Specifically, I want to do 350 Legend, 300 BO and 22-250 at the least. SilencerCo's Omega 36M looked like the ticket as it says it is multi-caliber, but SilencerCo didn't specifically include 9mm (350 Legend is 9mm), but that retail site did.

Long story short, it will and there is barrel length restrictions, even for 300 BO...the retail site says there are no no barrel length restrictions for 300 BO...ugh. I'm finding this to be the case for a lot of different ones I'm looking at for multi-caliber.

Then there are the mounts....Key-mo, ASR, Plan-A, etc, etc. Some of them are not cheap. Key-Mo for example, each muzzle device for each firearm is around $239! Ouch. ASR, on the other hand you can get either a muzzle brake (which is supposed to actually be decent) or a flash hider that the mount fits on for about $85 each...much better! I'll figure out which one, but right now the SilencerCo Omega 36M with ASR mount is at the top of my list.
I only run Direct Thread suppressor's.
1. I despise anything with a muzzle brake on it.
2. I've seen way too many QD mount suppressor's come loose, and get shot down range.
I run 30 caliber suppressor's on everything from 223 to 300 WM. They are actually quieter on a .224" caliber rifles since they have more gas volume than a suppressor made for a .224" cartridge.

You might look into building your own suppressor's and doing an E-File Form 1 on them. I built 3 of them using Solvent trap kits last year, and they work great if you build the right size. Mine cost me around $350 each including the $200 tax stamp, and I got my stamps approved in a few weeks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've sort of looked into that solvent trap thing, but it's my understanding that the ATF is cracking down on that hard and apparently some people have gotten into some big trouble. I really don't want any legal problems, especially with the government.

I understand you can build your own suppressor, form-1 it, have it engraved and good to go, but I don't have the tools or expertise to build one. I have watched some test videos on the solvent trap stuff and it seems they work...sorta. I guess it depends a great deal on the one you get and mainly what it's made of. You don't want to be shooting high pressure hot rounds like 223/5.56, 300 BO, etc through an all aluminum can from China. One video I watched, a guy got a 9mm one and when he put it on his 5.56, it lasted about 10 rounds before it stretched, broke and was launched down range.

I think I'm going to stick with a retailer and manufactured brand, if for no other reason that warranty and support. I'd hate to blow, literally, a tax stamp messing around with some home made thing.

Oh, and I stand corrected on the Key-Mo, the $300 part is the mount portion that goes in the suppressor, the brakes and flash hider muzzle device/mounts are about the same as the other brand's. The biggest downside to the Key-Mo is weight (over 8 oz for mount and muzzle device) and it adds around 1.25" to the overall length of the suppressor.

I am considering direct thread at this point simply because it is simple, all suppressors come with at least a direct thread mount and I don't care that it takes longer to remove and put on another rifle. My only concerns are them coming loose or carbon/heat cycle locking on the barrel making them difficult to remove. I am a little vain sometimes about the appearance of my firearms and for Betty, I want the handguard to extend over the suppressor a few inches (I already have a Midwest Gunwerks suppressor compatible guard picked out for that purpose) and direct thread will work probably the best for that. Most of the QD mounts, except for the Key-Mo, require access to the base of the suppressor to flip a lach or make sure some locking pin seats, so that won't work.

I don't mind muzzle brakes or flash hiders, depends on what it's on. Also seen something called an SME (Sound Mitigation Equipment). It's basically a 3-chamber brake with some small channels milled on the edges and a tightly fitting tube that fits over it. Sounds like a suppressor, but it isn't...the end of the tube is open...it's designed to direct muzzle blast forward away from the shooter. Does not suppress sound at all, just lessens the decibels at the shooters ear. Interesting, but not something I'd use.

I just wish the GOP would get off their duffs and push HR155 and get suppressors off the NFA list. If they'd do that, these $1,000 suppressors would probably be $200, but I doubt they will, or that it would pass even if they did.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I replaced the "regular" Magpul MOE grip on my Sig516 with a Magpul MOE K2+ pistol grip.
This K2+ has a steeper grip angle in the manner of the wonderful BCM and Troy Pistol grips.
(Which I would have also considered if they had been FS there, also noting that both the Magpul K+ and the Troy are notable less expensive than the BCM)

For me this steeper angle is much more ergonomic than the traditional M16.M4.AR15 angle.
I believe the original angle when the M16/AR15 design was made was optimized for prone position shooting.

However modern employment of tactical carbines involves a lot of positions other than prone and for these the steeper angle is better while with the new style steeper grips your accuracy/control does not seem to suffer to an appreciable degree the prone either.

This is what was on it before:

This is what is on it now:

Even though I bought it at a brick and mortar it was competitively priced.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I too really like the more vertical grips. My 16" AR is wearing a Fab Defense Gradus (it has a 15 degree angle vs the standard A2 angle of 25 degrees). The Gradus is thick rubber overmolded too (which I also prefer over plastic). Absolutely love the Gradus, and it's resonably priced at around $25.

Now that I just built my 300 BO pistol with the SBA3 brace, I think even less angle would be better, so now I'm on the hunt for one that's around 5 to 7 degrees angle, or even vertical. There is the ERGO TDX-0 which is the vertical version of their tactical deluxe, but that is a fat grip...has huge palm swells. Not sure that would be good for a handling a pistol from a sling. I would order one sight unseen, but it's $42, about double what most of the other grips are going for.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Ran over to one of my LGS's as they show up on the Silencershop as a kiosk site to talk to them about a form 3 transfer of a suppressor I want, but can only find in stock from a place in Texas. Somehow, a dang Vortex Venom 5-25x56 scope followed me home...

On the plus side, they didn't want to do paper form 3 transfer and are only a satellite kiosk site, but the main kiosk store is't too far away. So, after a couple of phone calls, I now have a SilencerCo Omega 36M, a direct thread mount, and a 7.62 flash hider end cap on the way (the suppressor comes with a 9mm end cap) to that LGS, then I can just go in and do the fingerprints, photo, all the form 4 stuff, etc right on their kiosk, then freakin wait forever for the ATF....

2841 - 2860 of 2884 Posts