What did you do to your AR today?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by icallshotgun88, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

Pan, I generally use spent cartridges that have been resized without punching the primers. I seat a spare bullet in the case and load one in each magazine, do misfire clearing and do my dry fire drills, for an old fart I’ve got it down pulling from my plate carrier. Practice, practice & more practice.
    Don’t sweat dropping the mags on the carpet offer, concrete and gravel is a different story.;)

BullMoose429, Rifling82 and PANDEMIC like this.
  2. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm with you, on that.

There's something a bit "off" with the AR platform, for me. Not quite the right fit, in terms of handling, operation. But there's quite a lot "right" with the M14, heavy though it is. Bigger cartridge and more recoil, sure, but there's something satisfying with the platform that a lot of other rifles miss.

PANDEMIC likes this.

3. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Thank you very much! :) I’ll be practicing as much as possible since I’m way to slow at drawing, swapping from rifle to pistol, changing mags and so little by little I’ll get better. :D

And yes I know dropping mags on concrete or gravel is a no-no. I never dropped my mags on concrete or gravel. However I have dropped one of my Glock mags on dirt I think twice but that’s about it and they’re fine.

But now with ammo being scarce, I’ll be doing more practice at home and get more comfortable, better and more familiar with my rig.

Thanks again! :D

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  4. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Just a heads up for those depending on their AR for the coming election festivities sure to follow, might get some spare firing pins, gas rings , maybe even a spare bolt.
    Be rough for the party to start in nov and you primary defense weapon be useless because of a normal wear part break when you really need it.

Caveman Jim and PANDEMIC like this.
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I put the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 on the side charger and sighted it in at 50 yards. Sighted in the red dots on the Mini14 and Mini 30 at the same time and distance.

6. PANDEMIC

Yeah buddy!! :):D I got my extended latch in today and also got it installed. Took me a while to get it in there but I managed to pull it through. I ended up having to take the roll pin out entirely since it was kinda of stuck and this part took me a good while but once I got it out, swapping out the latches and installing the new one using the old roll pin and spring was quick and easy. I’ll keep the new roll pin and spring as spare parts. And once I got the new latch in and the roll pin started, just a few light taps and the roll pin went through and was flush within seconds. :)

Put the charging handle and BCG back in, popped my takedown pin back into place.

And wow! It cycled so much better. I have so much better grip with it now. Practiced my mag changes and stuff and it really is a game changer I’ll say! :p

One thing I did notice as I was doing this a few times is if I ride the bolt forward the latch doesn’t lock into place. But If I let the bolt fly the latch locks into place perfectly.

So just like I let my pistol slide fly, same thing on the AR. And cycling it with the extended latch is really smooth, I love it! :)

Anyway’s I’m very happy, may try and go out to the friends house this weekend and sight in my scope real quick, probably shoot my pistol for a min or so and that’s about it.

Overall, this latch makes my rig so much better and easier! :p:D:)

FC88DE6B-5848-42AE-B076-CE90C8C7305A.jpeg
    35790944-9F5C-41A9-A718-190ED95F5395.jpeg

4159562A-DD3B-4F8E-9369-104FB063E3B1.jpeg

59D09F01-1BDB-4347-8EB1-5FC587C3395D.jpeg

BullMoose429, Rifling82 and Ghost1958 like this.
  7. BullMoose429

BullMoose429 Well-Known Member Supporter

I’ve dropped steel and aluminum mags on cement at my gun club and not had a problem, I can’t imagine that most polymer mags would have an issue either. Guns are meant to be treated roughly

PANDEMIC, Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  8. BullMoose429

As a test, I just drove over a 10 round Pmag with my truck- it runs fine

9. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ive been watching some documentaries on the war in Afghanistan and one of the things I noticed is there guns look wore out, every piece that has an edge is wore off.... I’ve never been one to worry about the looks of my carry guns or my AR, to me they are tools.... my new AK that’s on its way will be even more of a tool

10. BullMoose429

A gun without wear is, to me, like having a hammer without dings- it’s a tool, it should be used as a tool, and using it as a tool puts wear on it.

11. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

I have too, not recommended but yeah they are tough. If the USGI mags get dropped on the feed lips it could be damaged rendering it useless. I had that happen downrange while in the Army.

BullMoose429, Rifling82 and PANDEMIC like this.
  12. PANDEMIC

Thank you! :)

Ghost1958, BullMoose429 and Rifling82 like this.
  13. PANDEMIC

Wow! That’s awesome!

BullMoose429 and Rifling82 like this.
  14. PANDEMIC

I agree, I believe if your guns have wear and tear your using it and training with it.

If it’s not, like AR’s and AK’s then they either are babied too much or they spend most of their life sitting in a gun case/safe.

I also believe the fact that what good is a gun whether it’s a handgun (such as a carry) or a rifle if you don’t always train with it. Shooting it all the time can get very expensive, so I like to keep my skills sharp by practicing at home.

I think most of these new gun owner’s of 2020 bought guns mostly out of fear. But I bet you they’re just going to shoot it a few times and then let sit in a drawer, case or safe and never pick it up again unless they’re going shooting again.

But your never going to get conformable with your guns if you don’t spend time with them and really get to know them as well.

I spend more time with my guns then I do with people lol. But that’s why I know them and am very comfortable with them extremely well for that very reason. :D

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Ghost1958, BullMoose429 and Rifling82 like this.
  15. Rifling82

I’ve got a few guns that I try and keep nice but good honest wear is sexy

16. PANDEMIC

Not really an update on what I did to my AR. But more like an update on the fact that I have been practicing with my AR and pistol extensively and continuing.

I've been watching T.REX ARMS and particular this one video on how he handles and manipulates his weapons is what I've been recently studying and training. The switching from Rifle to Pistol, doing Mag Changes, always drawing and aiming and keeping it consistent, press checks on both the mag and weapon. Doing all these drills with consistency and speed.

So I don't have a chest rig or a hip rig, so I'm pretty much swapping mags from my pockets. Its not the best but its also not the slowest either and it works. So, I'm still continuing with my training, I keep a little schedule on my phone and try to do my training for 2hrs a day for a week straight, or spread it out but still doing 7 days and then seeing how my progress goes afterwards and then continuing from there.

Was looking for some snaps caps for my AR earlier on Ebay. Sometimes its nice to practice with the simulation of a live round. But been thinking, that I don't use my 9mm snap caps a whole lot and so may just pass on the snap caps for now. Their good and all, but alot of times they kind of just get in the way.

So, just wanted to update on that. I'm about done buying ammo but it is indeed getting harder to find day by day, so looks like its more time training indoors and less outdoors. :)

Rifling82 likes this.
  17. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Took it for a ride to town. It must have been bored cuz it just laid there.

Taking it to a church committee meeting in a few hours.

Caveman Jim, Rifling82 and PANDEMIC like this.
  18. Rifling82

Mines still in the package, keep forgetting to put it on

PANDEMIC likes this.
  19. PANDEMIC

Watcha waiting for bruh? Put that bad boy in where it belongs. ;):D

Rifling82 likes this.
  20. Rifling82

Hell idk, just keep forgetting

PANDEMIC likes this.